• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
townie what is your current thinking re: schools for your kid? are you planning on staying in your current house until he(? I think it's a boy?) is of school age?

yea would depend on if we had a second kid more than whether the kid reaches the age of elementary school for whether we can stay in our current place

we're in a <1000 sq ft 2 br right now, so a second kid would definitely stretch our ability to stay here, and my wife does want one at some point

the difference between a 2 br and a 3br is the difference between 500k and 750k in NW DC, which is not a swing we could currently make, so we'd have to consider somewhere other than where we are now, and i really like takoma park.

if we did not have a second kid, i could see us staying here more or less permanently. the school across the street from my house is bruce monroe elementary school, which i'd be perfectly comfortable sending my son to.

I don't actually know the different roles of the prostate vs. the colon in the human body

My wife and I have had these discussions. We picked our neighborhood in large part because of the school district.

My parents want us to move out where they are, which I would love but don’t want our kids growing up in a bubble with a bunch of entitled country club jerks.

At the same time (it’s not an issue for us but) we recognize the pandemic is going to create even larger disparities in education between those whose parents can hire tutors or send them to private school and those who can’t. But what are we supposed to do? Not do those things just because others can’t?

I think if these are things you're passionate about it's less about depriving your own kids of the best education and coming up with equitable solutions within your own means. Ideally the state would support these efforts, but failing that, there are good models of mutual aid in communities who want to pool extracurricular educational resources.

to townie's good point, the state has totally failed to prevent segregation along race and class lines and it puts parents (and everyone) in a losing situation

this is the result of letting the free market reign supreme when it comes to income and housing

It's a complicated problem, for sure.

I'm a free market guy, so I hesitate to think the state is the solution here. I have no problem with people "voting with their feet" by leaving areas that aren't what they want them to be. But I also recognize what it leaves behind for those that aren't able to relocate on a whim.

But I can definitely concede that "the state" failed in our old school district. They built a beautiful brand new school on the edge of our neighborhood a few years ago and then drew the lines in such a way that it only pulled from the less desirable areas (aside from 2-3 streets in our neighborhood that literally bordered the school), while leaving our overcrowded and old school basically unchanged... Mostly because parents lost their shit about potentially having to go to the new school. You can see the impact when looking at home prices on those 2-3 streets that went over to the new school... They have seen significantly less appreciation over the last few years (and in some cases have lost value). It all made zero sense. You're left with a brand new school in a nice neighborhood where they bus in mostly poor hispanic children and a tiny old school that is falling apart for the white/black/Asian/Indian kids from families with money.

I don't actually know the different roles of the prostate vs. the colon in the human body

I don't think I can clear that up, but what is important to me is:

prostate = finger in the butt
colon = colonoscopy

I have managed to avoid #2 up until this point because I am otherwise healthy. But #1 happens every year now. And I'm sure #2 isn't far away.

I don't think I can clear that up, but what is important to me is:

prostate = finger in the butt
colon = colonoscopy

I have managed to avoid #2 up until this point because I am otherwise healthy. But #1 happens every year now. And I'm sure #2 isn't far away.

You won't even think twice about an annual finger in the butt once you've had your first colonoscopy. And the worst part about the colonoscopy is the preparation, not the procedure that you won't even be awake for.

Consider the worst diarrhea you've ever had. Now imagine that you intentionally caused it by intentionally drinking something that tasted awful.

Is anyone interested in running a Spartan race in West Virginia in July or in Mill springs in November? I’ll complete you to ATS and then tell you you’re a superior athlete.

Getting my property taxes with the increase in property value the last year and then looking at how much money is for schools, yeah we need to do better.

Compare, not complete... Although depending on how impressed I am with your physicality and grace, we can talk about the completion part.

You won't even think twice about an annual finger in the butt once you've had your first colonoscopy. And the worst part about the colonoscopy is the preparation, not the procedure that you won't even be awake for.

Consider the worst diarrhea you've ever had. Now imagine that you intentionally caused it by intentionally drinking something that tasted awful.

**knight has entered the chat**

Getting my property taxes with the increase in property value the last year and then looking at how much money is for schools, yeah we need to do better.

hear me out though if we continue to cut money to public schools then we both increase the budget of our local police force and the opportunity people have to put their kids in private school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back