• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting kind of tired of reality show personalities running for office, tbh.

Yeah I had no idea she was running for office. The Tunnels made me reexamine my perspective on that issue though. I'm an old white dude that changed his mind.

I'm terrified of my daughters becoming teenagers.

If is assuages your fears at all, the issue with my older daughter is not about her being a teenager, its about her having pretty significant mental health problems. Though some might argue that being a teenager is itself a mental heath condition, in this case, she has some combination of autism, bipolar, anxiety, and maybe borderline. I played Eminem "Shake that ass" a few times on the stereo when she was a baby so that probably caused it.

"This is a question of fairness. That's why I oppose biological boys who are trans competing in girls' sports in school," said Jenner, a Republican who is one of the most high-profile transgender Americans in public life. "It just isn't fair. And we have to protect girls' sports in our schools." She did not answer a follow-up question from the reporter about whether that view delegitimizes the identity of children who transition and now identify as girls."

Well, she’s been an accomplished athlete. And she’s a trans woman.

OTOH, she’s still a Republican.

have two songs that are smooth jazz or close enough in my Spotify Discover Weekly and I'm feeling the need for a full life reevaluation

Gentle reminder that most of our spoken language is nonstandard, either in the way we form sentences (like this one, incomplete) and in our word choice and usage (more precise words are often available to us).
Thank you for this gentle reminder.

But I also disagree: most spoken (and written) language adheres to *a* standard. (To be fair you said "our...language" but I think that was rhetorical). That AAVE, for example, differs from Standard English (or the Queen's English or whatever) doesn't mean that it is not nonstandard. But the very thing that makes it distinct is its nonstandard sociolinguistic consistency -- i.e. its characteristic grammar and vocabulary.

What I do all day every day is think about how writing (in various forms) adheres to or deviates from standards.

In the context of a message board, deviations from an accepted standard are often rhetorical, as kory says. If this were the Stanford message board, or some other mediocre school, then I'd have different assumptions about what is standard. All about rhetorical situations, am I right tk?

So while I agree with what you've written in theory, I don't believe it makes much sense in the context of a message board, where literally all we have to go on is what someone writes.

But we aren’t your students, much like everyone here wasn’t one of my authors looking to be edited when I was a “grammar nazi”, so what’s the point ?

It feels to me like there is very little confusion based on our inability to communicate on here and much more disagreement based on the substance of posts for anyone to be so pedantic all the time. I know it won me no friends over the years.

a bad parody account idea I had was one that just popped up when someone used "less" instead of "fewer"

it would get a lot of use though

Can we still understand what my man here is trying to say?

tenor.gif

In the context of a message board, deviations from an accepted standard are often rhetorical, as kory says. If this were the Stanford message board, or some other mediocre school, then I'd have different assumptions about what is standard. All about rhetorical situations, am I right tk?

i would describe these deviations as rhetoric, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back