• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio charged with extortion

Dino is an idiot.

Wellman is the worst of the fucking cunt wankers to ever walk this earth, and his existence polluted wake sports permanently.

Both things are true

Very few people were upset he was fired. They were excited ronnie pulled the trigger and was aiming for better. Then [Redacted] was hired.

Exactly. Then all the bullshit rhetoric trying to cover up a shitty hire from the AD's office.

Like clockwork, every year since 2010 there have been multiple posts claiming that the decision to terminate Dino was unjust and unwarranted. [name redacted] was the worst possible hire, and he drove the WF program even deeper into the abyss, but Dino laid the groundwork by squandering the ridiculous NBA talent Skip had left behind, a complete lack of foresight in recruiting decisions when WF was a hot program and coaching the team into total collapses at the end of each of his three seasons.

Never kept track of who were the persistent Dino defenders (maybe it was the same 3 guys every year), but it always so baseless. Dino always was a clown.

BTW, unaware of anyone offering any support for Wellman or the athletic department for the Buzz hire. He was obviously socially inept and building relationships is the primary job of a college head coach. Look at how Forbes builds relationships and publicly interacts and compare that to Buzz. Unreal that any rationale human being could think that Buzz was the best candidate to lead WF basketball. That is a completely separate issue from Dino's own inability to run a basketball program.

Last edited:
Again, nobody would have cared about Dino leaving at all without the perplexing Bzz hire.

And if these myriad character issues were so apparent, then why the hell would you extend his contract just months before letting him go?

Makes you wonder what caused Dino and Murray to get fired so unexpectedly. What led up to the situation getting so toxic in such a short amount of time that Dino tried to burn the place down, especially with a (former) friend leading the program? There's been zero said about why they were fired from what I can tell. It's too bad to watch the Skip Prosser coaching tree turn into a mess. How long is it before the NCAA is back to investigate Louisville again?

"Former Assistant University of Louisville basketball coach Dino Gaudio"

i can live with this

Again, nobody would have cared about Dino leaving at all without the perplexing Bzz hire.

And if these myriad character issues were so apparent, then why the hell would you extend his contract just months before letting him go?

Or state the reason for is firing was the lack of post season success.

I know some former athletic department employees who are not exactly crying at this news

I wonder if the AUSA could be using these charges as leverage to use him as a cooperating witness in a larger investigation of Louisville athletics as a whole.

Not an apologist, I'm just saying....

And I'm not trying to pick on these two posters. It was just synonymous with most everyone else over the past ten years.

Firing Dino was never effectively justified with verifiable facts, especially given the abysmal basketball product that followed, so fans were left to speculate. I don't think him doing something illegal 11 years later, is proof that he did something illegal while at Wake; you're still just floating innuendo. I am glad he's not our coach anymore, but I am still confused by the series of decisions that preceded and succeeded his firing.

Last edited:
"Former Assistant University of Louisville basketball coach Dino Gaudio"

i can live with this

This was literally my first thought also. Feels like you should be able to legally extort an institution as grimy as Louisville though.

Any posters on this board that actually wore the Dino costume to the Joel?

Makes you wonder what caused Dino and Murray to get fired so unexpectedly. What led up to the situation getting so toxic in such a short amount of time that Dino tried to burn the place down, especially with a (former) friend leading the program? There's been zero said about why they were fired from what I can tell. It's too bad to watch the Skip Prosser coaching tree turn into a mess. How long is it before the NCAA is back to investigate Louisville again?

Because UofL wasn't performing well and Mack wanted to shake up the staff. That's it. Murray got another job. Dino didn't and was instead looking for a payout. Dino probably felt like he finally joined his good buddy Mack who then screwed him and so he turned around and pulled out the "I've seen things" card. Once again, Dino probably wasn't that interested in finding another coaching gig.

Exactly. There is a lot more to the story. With the evidence that will be adduced in a criminal prosecution, all of L'ville's dirty laundry will come out. Chris Mack needs to hire asset protection counsel.

Last edited:
Am I misremembering or did Dino threaten to sue this message board?

Extortion is plenty legal, you just need to have a lawyer threaten to do it with a lawsuit.

Thats probably accurate, reword it as wrongful termination because of knowledge of ______ which will be exposed and get that money.

Because UofL wasn't performing well and Mack wanted to shake up the staff. That's it.

I can't find any quotes from Mack after the firings. The official statement from UofL didn't even mention their names, just that two coaches would not be renewed. If it were just a matter of a shakeup, you'd think Chris Mack would have a bunch of great things to say about two guys who everyone assumed to be his friends. Hell, Murray was a guy who had been in the running for a few head coaching jobs IIRC, so it's not as if he was seen as dead weight outside of UofL. Given the absolute silence, I think it was a reasonable hypothesis that there was more to their firings than just shaking up the staff if you had asked yesterday. Today obviously does nothing to diminish that.

Last edited:
Back