• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

False Sexual Assault Accusations Against Josh Pastner

Pilchard

Reaction score
I'm sure part of this story had already surfaced, but:

- Today, Ron Bell, a former "friend" of Josh Pastner, was convicted of orchestrating false sexual assault allegation against Josh Pastner.

- According to the story, Bell's GF called police and accused Pastner of sexually assaulting her in a Houston motel room.

- A GT security guard also admitted that he was part of the scheme when he claimed to have witnessed Pastner inappropriately touching the woman

- Bell's motivation for the scheme to falsely accuse Pastner was based on Pastner not offering sufficient reciprocity in the Bell/Pastner friendship

- Bell also claimed to have offered money and other benefits to GT players Josh Okogie and Tadric Jackson (the NCAA suspended each player based on those allegations; the NCAA has now vacated those penalities)

Here is the link to the odd story: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31806529/judge-convicts-ron-bell-six-misdemeanor-counts-orchestrating-false-sexual-assault-accusations-georgia-tech-basketball-coach-josh-pastne

Last edited:
So how do Pastner, GaTech and the players get back the good reputation lost as a result of these criminal actions?

How do you quantify what Pastner lost in potential endorsements? What did the players lose for being labeled as being "on the take?"

So how do Pastner, GaTech and the players get back the good reputation lost as a result of these criminal actions?

How do you quantify what Pastner lost in potential endorsements? What did the players lose for being labeled as being "on the take?"

Doesn't really matter from a civil perspective. I'm sure you can get an accountant or someone to testify, but now that this guy is discredited and maybe headed to prison for a while, he's not going to be that employable. You can get a judgment against him pretty easily. The problem will be trying to collect on that judgment if he's not working a regular job, which he probably won't be.

Doesn't really matter from a civil perspective. I'm sure you can get an accountant or someone to testify, but now that this guy is discredited and maybe headed to prison for a while, he's not going to be that employable. You can get a judgment against him pretty easily. The problem will be trying to collect on that judgment if he's not working a regular job, which he probably won't be.

Money is part of it. How do Pastner, GaTech and the two players get something that walks back all the negative publicity that came with the initial, now proven false,, accusations? How do the players get some compensation, both financial and reputation, for being suspended by the NCAA for "breaking rules?"

Nice ‘friend’.
Be careful who you associate with.

If Bell's motivation was to get back at Pastner for not reciprocating in the frienship, what exactly was Bell's role in the frienship (not the false sex allegation scheme)?

If Bell's motivation was to get back at Pastner for not reciprocating in the frienship, what exactly was Bell's role in the frienship (not the false sex allegation scheme)?

This is the quote from the Judge's decision about Bell's motivation:

Judge Berry also wrote in the verdict: "The evidence showed that Ronald Bell engaged in a pattern of reactive and retaliatory behavior against Josh Pastner over several months for perceived slights to their friendship/relationship. The prosecution proved that Ronald was motivated to bring about Josh Pastner's downfall."

Money is part of it. How do Pastner, GaTech and the two players get something that walks back all the negative publicity that came with the initial, now proven false,, accusations? How do the players get some compensation, both financial and reputation, for being suspended by the NCAA for "breaking rules?"

They're not going to be made whole. They've been vindicated in court. That's all. Sometimes life just sucks.

They don’t.

FWIW, Josh Okogie is doing OK for himself. He's made $7,342,440 in his first 3 years in the NBA. If the T-Wolves exercise the team option, Okogie will make another $4,087,904 next year. He's also on the Nigerian team that just beat team USA on Saturday. The Nigerians, coached by Mike Brown, are dark horse to medal in Tokyo (they have 8 NBA players on their roster).

This is the quote from the Judge's decision about Bell's motivation:

Judge Berry also wrote in the verdict: "The evidence showed that Ronald Bell engaged in a pattern of reactive and retaliatory behavior against Josh Pastner over several months for perceived slights to their friendship/relationship. The prosecution proved that Ronald was motivated to bring about Josh Pastner's downfall."

Sounds like Bell thought the relationship was a lot closer and deeper than Pastner did. Pastner probably had Bell categorized as one of many acquaintances and acted accordingly. Bell reacted poorly.

I have acquaintances whose names I know and who know my name. Yet they are not people I would invite to a private dinner at my house. And I don't expect such invitations from them.

IIRC, this all started with Bell being upset that Pastner didn't call/text him on his birthday.

You are right, of course. I’m just trying to understand why anyone cares aboutGT or Pastner? The apple did not fall far from the tainted tree.

Back