• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

minnesota plays in the east ?

I thought he was with the magic. confused him for Aaron Gordon I guess. Point stands: People don't even know what team he played on and confuse him for Aaron Gordon. Not a star.

it's almost like star/superstar designations are subjective

I don’t think palma actually knows who Zach LaVine is.

Lou Williams resigns with the Hawks for 1/5.

for me superstar denotes someone bigger than the sport they play tho

like maybe you're a star basketball player but you gotta make a space jam 2 or get some int'l recognition to really be a superstar

I thought he was with the magic. confused him for Aaron Gordon I guess. Point stands: People don't even know what team he played on and confuse him for Aaron Gordon. Not a star.

LOL.

"Superstar" is like 6-8 guys in the league.

Zach LaVine a superstar? Lol.

Official 2021 NBA Draft - Free Agency and Summer League (JC 5/125 to Hawks)

for me superstar denotes someone bigger than the sport they play tho

like maybe you're a star basketball player but you gotta make a space jam 2 or get some int'l recognition to really be a superstar

Yeah. I like this definition. The list of super stars is pretty short. MVP/Final MVPs of the last 10 years plus CP, Luka, and maybe AD and Dame. Embiid is close to the cut off. There’s a long list of emerging super stars and LaVine is high on that list. LaVine, Vucevic, and DeRozan is definitely a playoff core.

Last edited:
Yeah. I like this definition. The list of super stars is pretty short. MVP/Final MVPs of the last 10 years plus CP, Luka, and maybe AD and Dame. Embiid is close to the cut off. There’s a long list of emerging super stars and LaVine is high on that list. LaVine, Vucevic, and DeRozan is definitely a playoff core.

which of the 29 guys on my list would a GM trade for Zach Lavine? I can see maybe Kyrie once he wears out his welcome.

I asked buckets what he thought a superstar was because he had JC as a potential superstar and I think you need a pretty loose definition for him to have a shot

I asked buckets what he thought a superstar was because he had JC as a potential superstar and I think you need a pretty loose definition for him to have a shot

Yeah, JC would have shown a little more in the playoffs this year if he had superstar potential. He looked more comfortable creating offense at Wake than he did whenever he caught the ball at the foul line other than taking a jumper.

I used to be a Lavine hater, but dude is young for a guy entering his eighth year and has really worked his ass off to get better

Yeah, JC would have shown a little more in the playoffs this year if he had superstar potential. He looked more comfortable creating offense at Wake than he did whenever he caught the ball at the foul line other than taking a jumper.

he also has a terrible assist rate and doesn't play good D

On the other hand, he doesn’t have to create offense from the post because that’s not really a thing in today’s NBA. He’s an elite rim runner and a reliable midrange and three point shooter. His defense has improved as well. He’s not a creator but he’s not a black hole either. And he’s still only 23.

To palma's point:

[h=1]Zach LaVine never won 4 games in a row until the Tokyo Olympics[/h]
Thanks to Team USA, Zach LaVine has a four-game winning streak for the first time since leaving UCLA.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/8...g-streak-usa-olympics-bulls-timberwolves-stat

Zach LaVine has been stuck on some terrible teams since becoming the No. 13 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
LaVine started his career on a Minnesota Timberwolves team that had just traded Kevin Love for the rights to No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins when he entered the league. The Wolves had a flashy young duo to start a new rebuild, but they also went 16-66 during Wiggins and LaVine’s rookie season. The Wolves improved considerably the next season after adding Karl-Anthony Towns, but they still only won 29 games. LaVine tore his ACL in Feb. of his third season and missed most of the next year as he was traded to Chicago for Jimmy Butler.
The Bulls were in an even worse position than Minnesota when LaVine came to the team. Chicago was just starting a full scale rebuild, and the results would be ugly: in LaVine’s first four years on the squad, the Bulls would win the fewest games in the NBA.

his numbers aren't that much better than Brandon Ingram, who is not a superstar, but looks slightly better than Mitchell and Tatum, who are superstars.

mitchell and tatum aren't superstars either

the whole discussion is meaningless but man you've gotta have an incredibly generous definition of superstar if you are putting zach lavine in that category

Official 2021 NBA Draft - Free Agency and Summer League (JC 5/125 to Hawks)

Obviously the meaning of “superstar” is subjective, but to me, it means can he be the best player on a championship team. Giannis, Luka, Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Lebron, Embiid, Harden, AD, CP3, Jokic, maybe Dame, Butler, Tatum, Mitchell.

mitchell and tatum aren't superstars either

If you're dropping 50 in the playoffs you're on the list of stars. I'll agree superstar is different. I'm arguing Lavine isn't a star.

Back