• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

If Brown can even be a passable three point shooter (which is a big if), that guy can absolutely be a 9-10th man for a while.

Lakers also sign former WF transfer target Mac McClung.

Were you watching on ESPN or ABC? The ABC broadcast seemed more family focused.

I didn’t know there were two broadcasts. Only one showed up on YouTubeTV.

Hawks getting Cooper in the 2nd round was a steal at a position of need.

The Thunder got the pistons 2022 first and the wizards 2023 first rounder in exchange for the 16th pick this year?

That sounds like a good deal

Thunder keep accumulating picks. That said, the harder part is turning those picks into a title contender.

great draft for the hornets, making me nervous they could be actually doing something at some point

great draft for the hornets, making me nervous they could be actually doing something at some point

I think kupchak brought the pedigree, relationships, and experience to stand up to MJ and make smart basketball decisions. That, or after MJ convinced Cho to draft Monk over Mitchell someone finally got through to him to stop f'ing everything up. Maybe both.

Either way, adding the good Plumlee, Bouknight, Kai Jones, and Lewis addresses so many needs and sets the clock for some young talent around Ball. Very impressive.

The Hornets had a fantastic draft. The Hawks added two upside players who are good mirrors of Collins and Young. They got better and the roster got more flexible.

Summer League starts runs August 3-14.
https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/schedule

Last edited:
Funny how teams get pegged to have great drafts or bad drafts in football and basketball as soon as they ended. Hasn't time proved most of those early takes to be worthless?

Those in the media giving grades either have no background in player development and scouting or if they do, they generally failed, got fired and now work for the media. In 2013, when the Bucks drafted Giannis with the 15th pick, was the consensus that Bucks killed it? No. Guessing there just as much, if not more praise for Utah landing Trey Burke with the 9th pick that draft or Philly trading up to get Nerlens Noel that year with the 6th pick. If you are fan of those teams, you will buy in to that praise.

Unless you are breaking down tape, studying medical reports and mental evals, a lot of it is really impossible to know and even then, good fortune plays a role. Wonder how many of those praising the Hornets for trading for Kai Jones, realize that, despite being the tallest player on the Court, he had double digit rebounds once in 53 games in college, and struggled to score almost every game (scored more than 15 points twice in 53 college games). Maybe, Shaka just completely misused him, and the Hornets will bring out his talent. But maybe Kai Jones just doesn't have the inherent aggressiveness to be a good or even a marginal professional basketball player. Similarly, was there a college player that seemed any softer in college basketball than Jalen Johnson this past season? Now, the Hawks did well to draft him? Since so few people really watch college basketball these days, it seems like talking heads can pump a player and everyone just buys in.

Nobody knows how good these guys will be, but there's a market for analysis, so they fill it.

Within weeks, any of the GMs who picked last night could be someone who "generally failed, got fired and now work for the media." So even by your logic, worshipping front office execs is foolish. Fans, media, and front office execs have opinions informed their experiences with the NBA and that's fine.

Using the Bucks picking Giannis #15 is a curious example, because you're also condemning the 14 NBA front offices who passed on him as well.

Last edited:
Funny how teams get pegged to have great drafts or bad drafts in football and basketball as soon as they ended. Hasn't time proved most of those early takes to be worthless?

Those in the media giving grades either have no background in player development and scouting or if they do, they generally failed, got fired and now work for the media. In 2013, when the Bucks drafted Giannis with the 15th pick, was the consensus that Bucks killed it? No. Guessing there just as much, if not more praise for Utah landing Trey Burke with the 9th pick that draft or Philly trading up to get Nerlens Noel that year with the 6th pick. If you are fan of those teams, you will buy in to that praise.

Unless you are breaking down tape, studying medical reports and mental evals, a lot of it is really impossible to know and even then, good fortune plays a role. Wonder how many of those praising the Hornets for trading for Kai Jones, realize that, despite being the tallest player on the Court, he had double digit rebounds once in 53 games in college, and struggled to score almost every game (scored more than 15 points twice in 53 college games). Maybe, Shaka just completely misused him, and the Hornets will bring out his talent. But maybe Kai Jones just doesn't have the inherent aggressiveness to be a good or even a marginal professional basketball player. Similarly, was there a college player that seemed any softer in college basketball than Jalen Johnson this past season? Now, the Hawks did well to draft him? Since so few people really watch college basketball these days, it seems like talking heads can pump a player and everyone just buys in.

This is a weird post lol. You should blog or something, Pilch.

The only people who believed Giannis was a slam dunk at the time are the two dudes you're complaining about.

Say what you want about the broader draft analysis universe (and I'm certainly biased here), but Givony and Schmitz are two of the best to ever do it. Rest assured that those dudes have watched every game played by every guy drafted (and about 200+ others) and have at the very least received reports from teams about all of the intangibles and medical-related situations. They base their analysis on an incredibly large body of research that dates back before most of us have even heard of these dudes' names.

as a hornets fan, i was in on kai jones after i read this ringer piece on him: https://www.theringer.com/2021/7/15/22576835/meet-the-most-interesting-sleeper-in-the-2021-nba-draft

he could bust, but i thought he would be worthy of a swing. when bouknight fell i totally understood grabbing him at 11 instead as i didn't see him dropping that far anywhere, but to be able to still get kai at 19 with at worst giving up #15 in a draft 2 years from now i thought was great. actually liked the two 2nd round picks too but thats probably more homerism as they weren't on my radar before

3 team trade:
Tristan Thompson to the Kings
Delon Wright to the Hawks
Bruno Fernando, Kris Dunn, 2023 2nd to the Celtics

3 team trade:
Tristan Thompson to the Kings
Delon Wright to the Hawks
Bruno Fernando, Kris Dunn, 2023 2nd to the Celtics

Kings are approaching Billy King levels of off-season fuckery huh

All of a sudden the Hawks have a legit backup PG and a rookie version of Trae Young.

No idea what the Kings are doing.

Back