• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Article on Transfer Portal

DeacKillsaDevil

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/college/arkan...otball-transfer-portal-Sam-Pittman-168115867/

“The transfer portal has been pivotal for the Arkansas coaching staff as they have built the team’s roster over the last two years. While Pittman certainly understands the benefit of the portal, he also brought attention recently to some of the potential issues that come with it. According to SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, more than 13,000 student-athletes entered the portal, and 11,000 of them are still in there...”

I find it very hard to believe that 85% of the athletes who went into the transfer portal did not find a destination school. Those numbers seem like bullshit.

I find it very hard to believe that 85% of the athletes who went into the transfer portal did not find a destination school. Those numbers seem like bullshit.

I can believe the number into the portal if it is atotal of all sports and all divisions. The number not finding any new spot seems very high. Maybe that is the reverse number. Those who found new spots.

Keep in mind that the transfer portal goes down to Division II players too.

After covid, won't non-graduating players return to having to sit a year before they can compete?

After covid, won't non-graduating players return to having to sit a year before they can compete?

We will see how that goes. As of now, players in the portal before July 1 can play immediately if otherwise eligible.

Anyone considering entering the portal should read this. The numbers may be incorrect, but there are still many, many athletes who are left out. There’s a risk-reward factor here, but the risks seem to be somewhat greater for the majority. Buyer beware.

Clawson has mentioned an upside to the portal. Many of the players using the portal have been at the end of the bench and enter the portal seeking playing time. They are dead weight that count toward the scholarship limit. Their departure allows the coaching staff to seek better players more likely to actually play and improve the team.

That’s true but cold. I also think plenty of coaches push kids to enter the portal and risk ending their career. That’s why I bristle at mocking the athletes.

Clawson has been straightforward about the perils of the portal. Enter at your own risk. He doesn't like losing players, but he has discovered a possible silver lining.

Last edited:
Back