• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia with 89 points in last three games of the season

That was at the combine. I was talking about post-combine visits.

It’s gotta be the Spurs, right? Seems too perfect not to happen.

I’m preparing myself for the Spurs to take some bum at 20 or trade away 20 and then the Bucks take him at 24.

LaRavia worked out with the Heat yesterday.

LaRavia

College Assistant Coach 1 (his team played Wake Forest): Some people like him more than me. I like him. I’m not in love with him. But he’s a confident, hard-playing, can shoot the ball wing. … He’s got some stuff to him. He’s got a little shit to him. He’s confident in who he is. We tried to get him out of Indiana State, and he kind of big-timed us, was like, no, I’m gonna go somewhere where I can get off. But he’s good. I don’t see him as a first-round guy. He’s confident without the cockiness, if that makes sense, which I think you have to be to make it to that level. And you’ve got to have damn near a little bit arrogance. You’ve got to be borderline, people can’t stand you.

https://theathletic.com/3362061/2022/06/14/nba-draft-top-forwards-analysis/

LaRavia

College Assistant Coach 1 (his team played Wake Forest): ...We tried to get him out of Indiana State, and he kind of big-timed us, was like, no, I’m gonna go somewhere where I can get off.

that's a real interesting factoid there. The narrative was that Forbes flew in under the radar and plucked Jake because of his coaching connections. Wonder who we played this year that also tried to recruit him

Some dude's model has Jake with the 4th highest odds of being top 30 in this draft class in minutes played.

If Jake and Alondes both get drafted this year. Forbes' first full recruiting class [not counting the COVID 2020 when Forbes had to scramble after being a late hire] will have produced more NBA draft picks [2] than our previous two coaches did in 10 recruiting classes [1: John Collins]. Just amazing how poorly those two clowns recruited and developed players. Also, incredible how well our current staff evaluated talent as Walker Kessler may be the only other 2021 transfer portal player that is taken in the upcoming draft.

Wake played somebody who flies in the face of this: Tari Eason went from Cincinnati to LSU last year, is a projected first-rounder (per ESPN, The Athletic, S.I.).

Still impressive that Wake could have two of the four '21 transfers who get drafted.

I didn’t realize Eason was a transfer. He’s a lottery pick on some mocks. Either way, he’ll probably be the first transfer taken.

Wake played somebody who flies in the face of this: Tari Eason went from Cincinnati to LSU last year, is a projected first-rounder (per ESPN, The Athletic, S.I.).

Still impressive that Wake could have two of the four '21 transfers who get drafted.

Good spot.

I didn’t realize Eason was a transfer. He’s a lottery pick on some mocks. Either way, he’ll probably be the first transfer taken.

Didn't want to play for the worst pickup ball teammate in basketball history, obviously.

NBA draft prospect Jake LaRavia: 'I’m trying to put people on notice. They’ll find out soon enough'

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-jake-laravia-gordon-hayward-comparison/

How do you see yourself contributing to an NBA team next season?

JL: I think I’m the perfect role player in the NBA on any team at any position. I do whatever the coach tells me. I think I’m versatile enough on offense and defense to be put anywhere on the floor and be able to make any adjustments as far as translating from college to the NBA level.
It depends on what kind of team I’m on, but if I’m on a team with some superstars, then my role would be to help them on the defensive side of things because they’re taking a heavy load on offense. Then, on offense, just being able to make those open shots when the defense collapses on them.
If it’s a team that doesn’t have superstars but is a good overall team, I can see myself in more of a playmaker role and still hit the open catch-and-shoot shot and be versatile defensively.

Which NBA teams will you be working out for coming up?

JL: As of now, I have to do Minnesota. I’ve got Golden State, Indiana, and maybe one other team.

#28, #26, and #31. I'd be shocked if he falls below the Pacers at #31. I've seen him mocked to every team between #21-31.

Last edited:
From the Athletic:

Jake LaRavia, 6-9 junior forward, Wake Forest. “Could be the biggest sleeper in this draft. He’s cocky in a good way. I think he’s a better athlete than people give him credit for. He’s a little bit of a tweener. He’s not strong enough to guard fours. He has a soft body. He’s intriguing because he’s skilled. They posted him a lot offensively, but playing against other bigs in our league will be a concern. He can make shots, but I don’t know if he can guard you. He’s a skilled, high-IQ guy. Good size. When they played a tough, athletic team, you saw his warts. Defensively, I don’t know where he fits. He could sneak into the first round.”

Link to the article evaluating 50 college guys as NBA prisoects:

https://theathletic.com/3365902/2022/06/20/nba-draft-2022-anonymous-scouting-report?source=user-shared-article

Same article, Alondes:

Alondes Williams, 6-5 senior guard, Wake Forest. “Good passer, but he tries to thread the needle a little too much. He’s built like a truck. The question is whether he can translate to being a point guard at the next level. He had a great year, but he’s not a big-time athlete, and he doesn’t shoot it. You look at his background, he’s always been a winner. He’s just got so many warts. I don’t see the commitment defensively. His visits with teams have not gone well. He has shown in his workouts that if you put a good defender on him with length, he has a tough time. He’s a late second-rounder, maybe.”

to me, Alondes' success -- moreso than Jake's -- is dependent on getting picked up by a good organization and a good fit

I think Jake's game is a little more diverse and can fit into more places

Back