• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This generation's Fan Man?

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
Conspicuously absent from today's game was the guy on the video board giving in-game commentary. I felt bad for that dude last week; obviously just doing the job he was told (and hopefully paid) to do, but it was pretty lame and I'd guess he'd be the first to tell you.
But anyway he was sidelined for today, as was the never-ending high-volume bass distortion from last week. And good job by SOTOGAB; numbers seem a little up this year and they sounded good.

Conor, if you get an interview with the guy who was Fan Man then I’ll sign up for your new site

Conspicuously absent from today's game was the guy on the video board giving in-game commentary. I felt bad for that dude last week; obviously just doing the job he was told (and hopefully paid) to do, but it was pretty lame and I'd guess he'd be the first to tell you.
But anyway he was sidelined for today, as was the never-ending high-volume bass distortion from last week. And good job by SOTOGAB; numbers seem a little up this year and they sounded good.

He did exactly the same as he did last week- showed highlights and stats between quarters and at the half.

He did exactly the same as he did last week- showed highlights and stats between quarters and at the half.

Not sure about now, but in the early to mid 2000s the University of South Carolina had an in game announcer making commentary and leading cheers DURING the game and on big plays. It was like a DJ for a football game reminiscent of And1 basketball games. Complete amateur hour.

It would be fine if he didn’t keep tripping over his words. When I’m attending a game I like seeing highlights and recaps that I would get better views of on tv.

It would be fine if he didn’t keep tripping over his words. When I’m attending a game I like seeing highlights and recaps that I would get better views of on tv.

I just don’t see the point. He’s telling us what we just watched and he clips are the same as what we saw on replay on the board after the play happened - it’s not any better produced.

I don’t know if it’s feasible because of licensing, but I’d rather him come in with scores/clips from around the ACC.

Or nothing - nothing is good.

The issue is that I think he (or the PA) just jots down a couple of things to bring up during his segments without actually planning out anything. And he definitely has no clue about each teams stats nor other team's games until he sees them on his computer screen. With some refinement it could potentially work but it could be doomed from a PR standpoint already.

On a related note, I think a better option could be a one minute segment with the radio crew being broadcast in the stadium. They could do the same things and the highlights of what they're talking about could be on the video board. No need to see them either, just highlights from the quarter and/or other team highlights/scores. Everyone seems to love our radio crew so it'd almost certainly work if they would do it (since it'd eat into 60 seconds of their break time).

I just don’t see the point. He’s telling us what we just watched and he clips are the same as what we saw on replay on the board after the play happened - it’s not any better produced.

I don’t know if it’s feasible because of licensing, but I’d rather him come in with scores/clips from around the ACC.

Or nothing - nothing is good.
There were multiple times yesterday that they put on the Pitt/Tennessee game so I don't think they have issues with putting on ESPN owned content.

It's weird to me that we don't get regular scoreboard updates from other games.

Yeah I think the goal for “putting on a show” is to make an entertaining and informative product that by and large keeps people from looking at their phones every 5 minutes. Having scoreboard updates would contribute to that goal.

I feel like they did this more at the ODU game - maybe it was just because UNC was losing.

This is key.

Clemson, USC, NC State, UNC and other teams have done the updates thing over the loud speakers for decades. But they do MORE updates after halftime. The theory is a big upset makes me more inclined to go to my tailgate at half time and watch Johnny Manziel take down Alabama on my "rabbit ears" TV. And not return to Groves Stadium to watch the Deacs play Georgia Tech.

And the UNC upset thing is a bonding thing as we all stand up and cheer their demise. That is welcome updates over the loud speaker, or at least on the big TV screen/video board.

I turn my phone OFF during Wake games and I have kids - don't bother me and I really don't care what type of sandwich you are eating on your anniversary with your wife in San Francisco, that you just posted a picture of a damn hamburger, as if I give a rats ass. Turn phone OFF during Wake games.

Back