• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Injury updates

I blame the bye week. It seemed like no one paid attention to the Army defend plan. I thought Clawson was as pissed off as Ive ever heard him postgame. Guarantee they will be attentive this week. Clawson ain't happy.

Conor O'Neill has some good stuff on the blocking scheme Army deploys. It's amazing the whole defense didn't suffer knee injuries. Currie/Clawson, please stop scheduling Army, Navy, etc. No need to do it.

It was a fake punt. I doubt that anyone was assigned to cover the intended receiver.

It wasn't a fake punt. It started off as a FG attempt with the holder being a backup Army QB. It was pretty clear prior to the snap it would be a pass play. The confusion (along with the depth of the QB- he was like 10 yards off the line) prevented pressure, which gave time for the TE to get from one side of the formation to the other. Again, someone was supposed to cover him, but that's a tough assignment to weave through all of the defense at the same time as you are tracking everything else.

Respectfully, so far this year Masterson is clearly our best on D Followed by Bothroyd.

As regards Redd ( I was at Michie ), yea the pick 6 was critical to winning the game but 2 things about it - someone lost coverage of the intended receiver who cycled out of the backfield and became WIDE OPEN. Had the kid not thrown a looping floater which gave Redd time to leave his apparent man on coverage ( about 8-9 yards away ) and race to that open kid, we averting yet another big gain by Army.

Redd got burned TWICE for TD catches on single coverage by the heretofore nearly nonexistent Army passing game. After the second he got royally chewed out by Hemple(sp) who was so livid he heaved his clipboard into the grandstand wall behind the bench. Is Redd a 5th year guy? Getting raked like that should not happen to a vet like him.

But yea, a nice pick 6.

Wait you were there and you’re still mixing them up? LOL

It wasn't a fake punt. It started off as a FG attempt with the holder being a backup Army QB. It was pretty clear prior to the snap it would be a pass play. The confusion (along with the depth of the QB- he was like 10 yards off the line) prevented pressure, which gave time for the TE to get from one side of the formation to the other. Again, someone was supposed to cover him, but that's a tough assignment to weave through all of the defense at the same time as you are tracking everything else.

Correct. The confusion was only made worse by the fact that the camera was not on the play from the very beginning so we had to go by what the announcer was saying regarding it looking like a fake.

After the second he got royally chewed out by Hemple(sp) who was so livid he heaved his clipboard into the grandstand wall behind the bench.

Hemple's clipboard:

Doc-McStuffins-Vet-Clipboard-600x600.jpg

What was Donovan Greene's injury? Any chance he's back before the end of the season and gets to take advantage of the rule change that would let him still take a redshirt year?

What was Donovan Greene's injury? Any chance he's back before the end of the season and gets to take advantage of the rule change that would let him still take a redshirt year?

He might return for our game on January 11.

We may need him for that one, too.

He already took the 4-game minimum rule in 2019, you can't do it twice in a career.

He tore his ACL in July; at this point I'd be shocked if he goes through spring practices.

He already took the 4-game minimum rule in 2019, you can't do it twice in a career.

He tore his ACL in July; at this point I'd be shocked if he goes through spring practices.

Thanks. I'd completely forgotten about him playing only 4 in '19.

every couple hours this injury number seems to increase, kinda lame although i assume it’s just fans

i just looked at a couple random plays from the 4th quarter and it looks like our 11 were:
line: davis, fox, kamara / bergan, bothroyd
lbs: masterson, hazen, chase jones
db: jasir, carson, andersen, redd

so definitely some issues at LB (although partially due to smendas ejection) but we were largely playing our starters.

Sure, that line up looks ok, but the depth was particularly hit and the starters played a ton of snaps. Many were out of position. And a lot of 3rd and 4th teamers were also on the field late.

DL: Davis is playing drop DE because you've got 2 out there. So rotation for Davis and Bothroyd is Royce Francis, Kendron Wayman. And those 2 starters played a ton more than you want for DEs. At DT, those guys are fine, but 1 of your starters gets knocked out (Williams), so 2 guys play a ton of snaps (Fox / Bergan) and you're mixing in Will Smart at the end.

LB: Yeah, you saw Chase Jones out there late, but he was playing safety due to numbers. The LBs were Masterson and Smenda, then Hazen, who then got hurt and you have true frosh Quincy Bryant or Jaylen Hudson out there.

DB: Once again, those guys are fine but they played a ton. Keith, Garnes, Roberts, Holmes, AJ Williams were all regular contributors who were out.

Also, the team tried this 4-4 stack with an extra linebacker/safety. They worked on it all bye week to counter the Army offense. And then both players they trained in the new position (Garnes and Keith) went down.

Apetit gets owned. Badly. Apetit get owned badly. Schooled.

DL: Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned.

LB: Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned.

DB: Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned.

Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned. Apetit getting owned.

Good info

Turns out depth can be a problem when your defense is on the field for nearly 43 minutes of game time that was often nearly back to back in the second half. We scored 21 points on 5 total plays in the third quarter (3 play TD to Roberson, Redd pick-6, and the 1 play TD to Williams).

Turns out depth can be a problem when your defense is on the field for nearly 43 minutes of game time that was often nearly back to back in the second half. We scored 21 points on 5 total plays in the third quarter (3 play TD to Roberson, Redd pick-6, and the 1 play TD to Williams).

Really pumped to play these guys again in...348 days!

why the injury #narrative triggers me (besides the fact that i find the persistently growing casualty count funny) and i think could even be a potential accountability issue (maybe even a slight blind spot). and they only seemed to start after mike elko departed:

2017: injuries are the problem! https://mooresvilletribune.com/sports/college/wake-forest-s-injuries-put-defense-on-hold/article_880a37a8-1204-5c8e-abd6-6a938ed6eaa3.html
2018: injuries are the problem! (granted we did fire our DC mid-season) https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Revisiting-Season-Ending-Injuries--125444656/
2019: injuries are the problem! https://journalnow.com/sports/colle...cle_6b802135-64ee-56ab-989f-4778b14a5c50.html (props to conor for calling out the recurring nature of this a couple years ago, and clawson does discuss it a bit)
2020: injuries are the problem! https://journalnow.com/sports/colle...cle_1f74e566-ea4e-11ea-9949-57a2009a6578.html
2021: we will have great depth injuries are the problem!

on one hand it does feel silly to complain given how well we are playing, on the other hand it would really suck if just a mediocre defense could have made this an even more historic season than it might end up being.

Last edited:
Back