• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

So evidently Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione has a good relationship with Clemson DC Brent Venables

Venables has two sons on the Clemson roster. Pretty sure one had his last season (he was part of Senior Day) but there is a younger son only a sophomore. Guess he could bring him to OU, but they are all local and wonder he wants to see them get through the program before bouncing. Who knows, this is the best job his name has ever been associated with from what I could tell.

He is only 50, does he really not want to take a shot at a top HC position before its all said and done?

Cutcliffe was hugely overrated. It's redacted syndrome -- if the bar is the floor anything above that looks great. Obviously unlike redacted he didn't create the woes at the outset, but just because the Duke program was inept and a disaster for 15 years before he got there doesn't make him a genius.

Very similar trajectory to Grobe really -- respectable run followed by solid run in the middle (though obviously highs weren't as high), then a slow but steady decline

Yeah, this is message board banter but he isn’t going to be living in the dorms. He’s going to have a really nice house in Pacific Palisades, or such, and have access to a lot more entertainment and culture when he takes a few hours.

Riley doesn't strike me as an entertainment and culture guy. And I doubt he moved there for that. He just wimped out, plain and simple. His statement said he wanted a new challenge or something like that. I guess the SEC wasn't a new challenge for him.

I realize some people like those things LA has to offer in spite of the ridiculous tax rates and cost of living, and that a dude living large is not going to feel the pinch much either way. But when he tries to buy the same kind of house he had in Norman in LA and finds that he is paying 5-10 times the price for a "view" with half the real estate, I have a feeling he's going to utter an f-bomb.

Some similarities but Grobe posted a significantly better record.

Grobe - 77–82 (42–62)
Cut - 77–97 (35–79)

Any ACC program is a good coach away from being a solid 8-9 win program so we should definitely be interested in this search.

The Athletic does a good job profiling open coaching jobs. Here is their Duke profile:

Duke football coaching job profile with David Cutcliffe out: Pluses, minuses, candidates and more https://theathletic.com/2983682/202...ndidates-and-more/?source=user_shared_article

Ruggiero, Gattis, and Elko are listed as potential candidates. All three are semi finalists for the Broyles Award.

https://broylesaward.com/voting/semi-viewer/

Reportedly 150 million over 10 years for Riley. Not sure if true, but that's insane money. Fuck, I'd take that money to live in the Gobi Desert even if had California's taxes and cost of living.

The insane Mel Tucker extension couldn't have helped.

But $15 million in CA *does bullshit math* is barely a $1 million a year in Norman. So that’s a pay cut once you factor in all those California taxes.

But $15 million in CA *does bullshit math* is barely a $1 million a year in Norman. So that’s a pay cut once you factor in all those California taxes.

Plus it’s nearly impossible to find acres of peaceful Oklahoma farm land in Los Angeles

Grobe - 77–82 (42–62)
Cut - 77–97 (35–79)

Any ACC program is a good coach away from being a solid 8-9 win program so we should definitely be interested in this search.

The Athletic does a good job profiling open coaching jobs. Here is their Duke profile:

Duke football coaching job profile with David Cutcliffe out: Pluses, minuses, candidates and more https://theathletic.com/2983682/202...ndidates-and-more/?source=user_shared_article

Ruggiero, Gattis, and Elko are listed as potential candidates. All three are semi finalists for the Broyles Award.

I would hope and guess that Clawson’s new contract would actually take Ruggiero’s salary higher than what a Duke HC would get. We also know that he’s said multiple times that he doesn’t want to be a HC for whatever that’s worth.

Grobe - 77–82 (42–62)
Cut - 77–97 (35–79)

The difference in record is pretty much the Wake vs Duke game lol.

I would hope and guess that Clawson’s new contract would actually take Ruggiero’s salary higher than what a Duke HC would get. We also know that he’s said multiple times that he doesn’t want to be a HC for whatever that’s worth.

No chance our OC is making more then a low end P5 head coach.

I doubt he’s even been on Zillow to compare house prices

$15 million makes a lot more sense than $10 million in terms of getting Riley to move, and supports the argument that cost of living matters; they had to throw an absurd amount of money along with assistant pay packages (cost of living obviously mattering more to an assistant earning 6 figures) at him

Not saying anything that isn't obvious, but LSU waiting to make a hire means their candidate is likely still coaching for a conference championship. Could be Fickell... But there are a number of other coaches involved in championship games this weekend:

Fickell
Cristobal
Whittingham
Gundy
Aranda (no extension signed yet)
Holgersen

Or maybe it's somebody from the NFL?

I love when someone inevitably starts comparing state tax rates on this thread as if that matters at all to someone making upwards of $10MM/year.

I've always thought it my patriotic duty to get into the highest tax bracket I possibly could.

Not saying anything that isn't obvious, but LSU waiting to make a hire means their candidate is likely still coaching for a conference championship. Could be Fickell... But there are a number of other coaches involved in championship games this weekend:

Fickell
Cristobal
Whittingham
Gundy
Holgersen

Rhule looks to me like a guy that has checked out.

But they’re not historically over the past 30 years, and Cutcliffe is the best coach they’ve had since Spurrier, who won a share of the conference championship in 1989 and lost to Texas Tech by 27 points in the fucking All-American Bowl. It’s the worst job in the ACC.

But aside from that, Gattis should hold out for a much better job.

Yes. Except for Spurrier Duke is a job where coaches go to end their careers in desolation.

Fickell
Cristobal
Whittingham
Gundy
Holgersen

I'm trying not to laugh too hard at Holgersen...

So Texas has been struggling and OK will likely get weaker with Riley’s departure. Wonder if fans of these 2 teams are starting to regret their pending move to the SEC? Could be a rude awakening.

Fickell
Cristobal
Whittingham
Gundy
Holgersen

I don't think LSU is intentionally waiting to make a hire. I think they have been turned down by their top candidates. My guess is that they are prepping a ridiculous offer for Jimbo as a face-saving moving for the AD.

Back