• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Do you think there were (m)any available coaches who were likely to have them ahead of Bama and UGA for the next five years?

Absolutely not. I think that almost all sec coaches fail to meet the most important benchmark: are you better than Saban? Eventually they all end up there.

If Kelly was honest, he took the LSU job for the money. He’s reportedly getting paid something close to $15 million a year. He was making half that at ND. If/when he crashes and burns at LSU, he’s still getting paid.

If Kelly was honest, he took the LSU job for the money. He’s reportedly getting paid something close to $15 million a year. He was making half that at ND. If/when he crashes and burns at LSU, he’s still getting paid.

Bingo. They were saying on the sports shows this a.m. that he was only making $2.7mil at ND, which I have a hard time believing. ND will have to pay more than that for their next coach. And I hope Kelly does crash and burn there because he comes across as the biggest abusive asshole in the sport.

was just texting to a diehard VT fan former coworker of mine and he's stoked about the hire. but he also wanted Clawson, so.

And their fan base thought Clawson was beneath them

Initial reaction to this is that it could be the worst hire of the cycle. How does Akron get Joe Moorehead and VT only get Pry?? Even Elko would have been a better hire.

Do we need to be worried about Dave Clawson with the ND job being open? There have been rumors on here that ND was on his short list of places he'd be interested in going. ND can likely pay enough that DC's new contract wouldn't be an impediment (any idea what Brian Kelly's buyout was?). Per Football Scoop, Clawson is a candidate and has some support at ND. He might also get the resources from them to get Elko back...

https://footballscoop.com/news/notre-dame-candidates

First choice Fickell. After that Freeman or Reese. Skip Holtz is available, which would be hilarious. Maybe the sniff around Clawson, contract extension or not.

I can't see how Fickell would even be in play right now, assuming Cincy beats Houston. If they do, I just can't see him bailing on coaching in the play-offs. And I don't think it would work for either team for him to accept a new job but stay-on at Cincy to coach through the play-offs. And there is no way ND is going to put off hiring a coach until New Years Eve at the earliest - that would be a killer for recruiting.

1/ Pry seems like a perfectly reasonable hire for VT. feels unlikely that any message board genius (great twitter follow, btw) would have any real insight onto whether pry or elko would be a better fit for a head coaching job.

2/ ELC's link ("good analysis") is hilariously absurd -- highly recommended.

3/ I think we should be slightly worried about ND if they came calling, but I think they'll end up with Fickell or promoting a coordinator.

2/ ELC's link ("good analysis") is hilariously absurd -- highly recommended.

So good. Very first sentence I read is about why this is a bad move for Riley lolol. No tax discussion though.

Brian Kelly is 60 years old, from Massachusetts, and starting a new job in the SEC. Just sayin'.

Do we need to be worried about Dave Clawson with the ND job being open? There have been rumors on here that ND was on his short list of places he'd be interested in going. ND can likely pay enough that DC's new contract wouldn't be an impediment (any idea what Brian Kelly's buyout was?). Per Football Scoop, Clawson is a candidate and has some support at ND. He might also get the resources from them to get Elko back...

https://footballscoop.com/news/notre-dame-candidates

If it happens - It happens - nothing we can do about it and can’t fault DC for taking it

I was never worried about Clawson going to VT, but I think if Notre Dame offers he will take it

Back