• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

It's cope. He may end up being good, but there is no way he was high on their list. He is 51, never had a HC look, and been attached to Franklin for awhile. He obviously is a good DC and apparently recruits VA well for PSU. He will need to have a really good OC to help that side of the ball, me thinks.

Absolutely will have to hire a great OC. They dont have a true QB IMO right now so he might have to hit the portal hard. It'll be interesting to see if he retains current DC and former Hokie Justin Hamilton.

Absolutely will have to hire a great OC. They dont have a true QB IMO right now so he might have to hit the portal hard. It'll be interesting to see if he retains current DC and former Hokie Justin Hamilton.

Continuing the delusional trend, but they are pretty confident they could hire Gattis since Michigan only pays him $1M a year. Yup... seems super easy to outbid Michigan, the third highest grossing program in all of college football (I know you're think well surely Virginia Tech is #1 or #2, but they aren't) who didn't just spend $8M buying out a coach.

Although - they also mentioned Ruggiero. That one worries me way more than Clawson ever did tbh. Hopefully we didn't just take care of Clawson but also gave Ruggiero a big bag. Was ~$600k in CY2019.

Continuing the delusional trend, but they are pretty confident they could hire Gattis since Michigan only pays him $1M a year. Yup... seems super easy to outbid Michigan, the third highest grossing program in all of college football (I know you're think well surely Virginia Tech is #1 or #2, but they aren't) who didn't just spend $8M buying out a coach.

Although - they also mentioned Ruggiero. That one worries me way more than Clawson ever did tbh. Hopefully we didn't just take care of Clawson but also gave Ruggiero a big bag. Was ~$600k in CY2019.

Clawson and Ruggiero really feel like a package deal to me. And I’m sure he’s getting paid as part of the extension negotiations.

So who will coach ND in the CFP or NY6? What if Kelly wants to bring his staff to LSU to recruit immediately?

Clawson and Ruggiero really feel like a package deal to me. And I’m sure he’s getting paid as part of the extension negotiations.

I'm sure he is - the question is how much. Because a 20-30% increase might be enough to keep Clawson but it won't be enough to keep Ruggiero. If Wake is paying Ruggiero $800k and someone comes in with a $1.6M offer that Wake can't match then forget the package deal, any reasonable person is leaving. And there are a lot of programs that will pay $1.6M for an elite offensive coordinator.

The few I have talked to seem pretty stoked as well, but I am not buying it. I think they are convincing themselves this good after they had such lofty expectations and landed here. Hell, some were even talking about going after DD at State a few days ago. For the life of me I dont understand why they think a coach in the same conference would just jump to go there. This isnt Frank's VT people.

"If we could have had our pick of all these big names, the guy we got must be even better!"

Watching the local news in Jax right now (waiting on Seinfeld to come on) - they're basically hoping Urban takes the ND job openly on the air.

I'm sure he is - the question is how much. Because a 20-30% increase might be enough to keep Clawson but it won't be enough to keep Ruggiero. If Wake is paying Ruggiero $800k and someone comes in with a $1.6M offer that Wake can't match then forget the package deal, any reasonable person is leaving. And there are a lot of programs that will pay $1.6M for an elite offensive coordinator.

I would be extremely disappointed and surprised if VT hires our OC away on the heels of Clawson’s extension (which included a bump for assistants) and the $35 million McCreary gift

I know you all are tired of OU, but this is grand stuff here that is Wakey-leaks level nefarious shit.

Roy Manning is on the OU payroll and one of the coaches that stayed behind. He has been out on recruiting visits the last few days with Stoops to shore things up. And yet somehow in that found time to go on a recruiting visit for USC since apparently, unbeknownst to anybody, he's planning on joining Riley. He got busted because recruits tweet shit and do interviews with 247 about who they visited with, etc... OU Compliance office, which is a real thing and actually has a Twitter account, has tweeted out Manning's sort of signature tweet that he does when a commitment is near, and no other commentary with it.

This is soap opera level shit.

Nobody in a real job tells their boss they are about to bolt for another job, and most bosses have a feeling when their employees are itching for change. Why is coaching any different?

Nobody in a real job tells their boss they are about to bolt for another job, and most bosses have a feeling when their employees are itching for change. Why is coaching any different?

I for one hope ND falls into CFP (never cheer for ND)- Would be hilarious to see them play Cincy

Back