• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

UNC’s probably going to win it all next year. They have a tendency to do that when their players all return. Good for them. Doesn’t mean they will of course, but they’ll be the preseason favorite, and they’ll deserve it.

UNC’s probably going to win it all next year. They have a tendency to do that when their players all return. Good for them. Doesn’t mean they will of course, but they’ll be the preseason favorite, and they’ll deserve it.

I’ll just repeat it again for those in the back

(Ahem) REMEMBER WHEN UNC BLEW THAT HUGE LEAD AND LOST THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT WAS AWESOME AND I’M STILL RIDING THAT WAVE kthx

I wish Wake would make a title game and blow a big lead…that would be a huge step. I hate UNC but will tip my hat to their season, what they did in Match and whoever put the NIL fund together so they would all come back is beyond our wildest dreams.

I wish Wake would make a title game and blow a big lead…that would be a huge step. I hate UNC but will tip my hat to their season, what they did in Match and whoever put the NIL fund together so they would all come back is beyond our wildest dreams.

If you believe rumor mill history, u*NC didn't have to put a fund together. They simply had to put the NIL label on it and move it from under the table to on top of the table.

Dream wilder.

This is just really gross to me. Now every year we are going to hear about kids negotiating and renegotiating NIL deals under threat of transfer. College sports has just become another pro league. Yuck!

Here we go. Wong feels disrespected because Pack got $400K to transfer to Miami. Hilarious.

I think it was ESPN who made the point, that if Wong transfers, than Ruiz has to continue to pay him under the contract, or it would open them up to pay for play which the NIL prohibits. Fascinating to see how this plays out.

NIL will hopefully accelerate the separation of academics from minor league sports and I am all for it

NIL will hopefully accelerate the separation of academics from minor league sports and I am all for it

Disagree. I don’t think talented athletes should have all three: getting a college education, playing sports, getting paid.

Got to admit that I have been a doubter of the speculation that NIL (and to a lesser extent the transfer rules) would lead to the end of college sports as we know it, but those doubts are starting to turn.

If the separation does occur, those schools that go the "pro" route better be careful. Once a professional product is perceived as "minor" the public largely tunes out. That's why all of these start up pro football leagues fail. Those leagues are full of quality college football players; by an objective standard the quality of play is probably equal to a quality college football power conference game, but few people care to follow because they know the NFL is on another level. College football thrives on tradition, even with the evolving conference rosters. If 20 to 30 schools go full blown pro league for 18 to 22 year olds, just not sure how many people will care to watch Auburn's 22 and under pro team play Ohio State's 22 and under pro team.

As for college basketball, the only thing that draws the mega bucks in the NCAAT. That remains super popular. Just don't see many people caring if there are 30 something "pro" 22 and under basketball teams, and some new end of season playoff format which would likely involve teams playing a series. That basically is the G League right now. The allure of having 300+ teams vying for a single elimination tournament evaporates.

Last edited:
Yep, that was our window to make the final 4 or win a title "in my lifetime." The Rodney signing in 1990, with Childress and underrated Owens, plus Tucker and King - Duncan - through Johnson/Teague (with Skip coaching, rest his soul of course). We had to make Johnson/Teague mesh with "AT&T" somehow. Or Rodney had to stay his senior year or whatever (was not gonna happen).

Now we have even younger dudes basically: self-centered + immature/stupid decisions.

And that is sort of what I was like at 19-20.

It's like ME playing college hoops WITH NO RESTRICTIONS/wild wild west at 19-20 - that's not a good situation.

This is just really gross to me. Now every year we are going to hear about kids negotiating and renegotiating NIL deals under threat of transfer. College sports has just become another pro league. Yuck!

Spoiler alert, it already was.

Back