• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Clemson - Saturday 11/20 Game Time Speculation

imo most overlooked / underrated deac this year is donald stewart -- feels like it's a reception every time we throw it his way. i don't think he's the fastest, but would not surprise me to see him play and make catches in the nfl.

Huge catch on 3rd & 7 to move the chains when we were clinging to a three point lead late in the fourth quarter.

Huge catch on 3rd & 7 to move the chains when we were clinging to a three point lead late in the fourth quarter.

also this huge catch on 4th down - Hartman's read, Ellison's block, Stewart's catch

I think there's a strong case to be made that WRs need a second year in Higgins' system to be effective. We expected Stewart would contribute immediately as an experienced transfer last year, but we're really seeing the payoff now. If we can keep that pipeline going so that first year WRs aren't forced into action, the WR corps is going to be very strong for a long time.

imo most overlooked / underrated deac this year is donald stewart -- feels like it's a reception every time we throw it his way. i don't think he's the fastest, but would not surprise me to see him play and make catches in the nfl.

This. Huge props to a guy who always makes big catches and has an undergrad degree from Stanford while working on Master's at Wake. Bravo

Last edited:
I think there's a strong case to be made that WRs need a second year in Higgins' system to be effective. We expected Stewart would contribute immediately as an experienced transfer last year, but we're really seeing the payoff now. If we can keep that pipeline going so that first year WRs aren't forced into action, the WR corps is going to be very strong for a long time.

This is very true unless they are a once in a generation player with Dortch-like speed, Sage-like hands, and AT-like size.

In 2021, Wake is running 79.8 plays per game (#8 in FBS) compared to Ohio State running 69.4 plays per game (#78 in FBS). In 2020, Wake ran 81.2 plays per game compared to 73.9 for Ohio State.

I guess you could say it's less for Ohio State since they play B10 defenses, but it still seems clear the up tempo play style is a much much bigger part of Wake's gameplan than Ohio State's

These are a bit deceiving as tOSU averages the most yards per play in the country by a fairly wide margin. Wake is 20th. So tOSU scores faster. I’d imagine they get better field position too but not gonna research. Anyways, as a big tOSU fan, they absolutely changed the way they called plays in last years CFP to prevent the sign stealing. Day alluded to it both pre and postgame, and the joke was obviously that Clemson’s defensive prowess was due to sign stealing.

Now I have no idea if teams other than Pitt have purposely huddled/changed up signs to prevent the stealing, but I damn sure hope we do something different. If we do the “check with me” af the sidelines and wait 10+ seconds to snap the ball, Venables and his cheating minions will figure out the signs. Basically, I think we should either play lightning fast, or huddle/muddle huddle to not allow Clemson time to adjust to our signals/formations/etc.

also this huge catch on 4th down - Hartman's read, Ellison's block, Stewart's catch

Two other observations: 1) nice job by Ellison picking up the blitzing corner and 2) poor D by that State DB helped us out. If he keeps running with Stewart as he turns his head it's a jump ball.

Has anyone watched Clemson play enough to evaluate their offense? Shipley is back and has numbers that are essentially pretty good. DJ is terrible obviously and Ross is gone. So what are we looking at?

They have another back #20 who has looked good at times. Their OL is really banged up. We need to be able to stop the run and pressure DJ in passing situations.

The Wake Forest side is getting most of the action, yet the line is staying at 4.5. That means that there is sharp action on Clemson. Don't really get it. While both teams have injuries, Clemson injuries list is far more extensive, and their offense even struggled against UCONN. Like the WF side, and I am surprised that WF is getting this many points.

I'm pretty concerned about playing Clemson without Roberson and Williams. Not to mention the litany of injuries in the secondary. I'm guessing that is what is motivating the sharps, but who knows.

I think the public was all over Wake in the UNC game as well :couch:

Hope we overcome my worries.

Clemson held its top two backs, Shipley and Pace, out against UConn. They are both available for WF.

Clemson scored 37 points on its first 10 possessions despite holding people out.

I know DJ U has absolutely sucked this year, but I'm worried this is the game where he starts to look like the player they thought he would be preseason

We gotta control Clemson defensively which we should do with them with a hobbled quarterback and their 2 top receivers and te out and offensive line issues.

Clemson held its top two backs, Shipley and Pace, out against UConn. They are both available for WF.

Clemson scored 37 points on its first 10 possessions despite holding people out.

UConn has 1 FBS win since 2017 and it was against UMass (who was 1-11 that year). The last time they finished a year with a winning record was 2010.

I don't care if Clemson scored 70 points on its first 10 possessions against UConn, that means absolutely nothing as far as the game tomorrow is concerned.

UConn has 1 FBS win since 2017 and it was against UMass (who was 1-11 that year). The last time they finished a year with a winning record was 2010.

I don't care if Clemson scored 70 points on its first 10 possessions against UConn, that means absolutely nothing as far as the game tomorrow is concerned.

right, UConn is terrible. Clemson did not struggle against UConn. If they had, it would mean something. But they didn't.

Back