• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson will never leave WF

If you're a 3rd string 4-star RB at a "Big Boy" school and you could be 1st string at an ACC program that has demonstrated dedication to winning and ability to get in the CFP discussion and have dudes get Heisman attention... Does it matter that the school is named Wake Forest?

If you're a 3rd string 4-star RB at a "Big Boy" school and you could be 1st string at an ACC program that has demonstrated dedication to winning and ability to get in the CFP discussion and have dudes get Heisman attention... Does it matter that the school is named Wake Forest?

Uh what? The only Wake player getting Heisman attention isn't at Wake anymore. We have a couple of guys that deserve more national attention than they are getting specifically because they are at Wake and in the ACC.

Christian Turner left Michigan as a 4th/5th RB and came to Wake and is the 3rd string RB.

Uh what? The only Wake player getting Heisman attention isn't at Wake anymore. We have a couple of guys that deserve more national attention than they are getting specifically because they are at Wake and in the ACC.
Sam was on several Heisman watch lists until the Carolina game. Perry is on the Biletnikoff list.

yeah — it’s also easy for us to say “if i were clawson, i would do XYZ” but those are always useless because we aren’t clawson and we didn’t choose (and excel) at an occupation that works us 100+ hours a week with intense public scrutiny. there are probably unique motivations at play that we have no way of understanding.

true of everyone except macktheknife

he understands

VPI is Tennessee without the money for the facilities arms race.

Since pop Warner ball, football players know the best players start games. There was no doubt Walker was our best RB and never started a game. Say what you want, that's important. Now pour in on blocking ability. Seems simple to me why he left. I'm better and I ain't starting.

IMO, you only live once (YOLO) and if you are a college football coach who has had tremendous success and a big school comes calling it is hard to turn down. You don't get an opportunity much to prove yourself on the biggest possible stage, and PSU gives you that chance. They pack it with 100k every week, and can hit a big year and truly win a natty. Wake has an amazing team this year, but to say we can truly compete for a natty year in and year out is crazy talk. We can compete for bowl games every year and get to the ACCCG every now and then. Maybe hit it big (this was prob the best chance) and go undefeated once but that's extremely difficult.

I would hate to see him go, but wouldn't blame him. It's literally what these guys dream of when they begin coaching. Now, Clawson may have a different view since he's been happy here and not want that big challenge, but he would be a major outlier there, and not the norm at all.

I agree with this for the most part. However, this does not seem like a "lightening in a bottle" talent year for us. There doesn't seem to be anything unsustainable about our current roster that you might argue for the Fresh Deacs defensive unit. We have some modest boost from Super Seniors, but not like some seem to be saying. Clemson is having a down year. That seems to be the only unique thing to this year and we haven't even played them yet. If we can maintain our offensive coaching staff, I think we can maintain our offensive success and even build on it. We have had multiple QBs perform at a high level. Receivers are next man up. Our superstar RB left and we are still successful. We just need to make sure we can maintain a reliable OLine. We also need to make sure we can keep enough QBs maturing through the system as experience running the offense to precision seems to be essential. Raw talent isn't enough for our O.

True, but KWIII left for more playing time.

Meh, my point was that guys may be swayed by the idea of playing for a bigger name program and transfer away from a developmental program where they transformed from 3* recruit to high level CFB player. If you want to change my example from Kenneth Walker to Jamie Newman then sure.

Really my post was just highlighting the different downsides to the transfer portal for both the Alabama/Clemsons of the world and the Wake Forests of the world

Clawson put his head on the pillow last night and dreamed of his new $35 million dollar football facility instead of how he's gonna deal with a bunch of rubes that counterfeited tickets to a Wake game. It's just not a serious discussion. Man builds a significant legit culture around a program an goes to VT. No fucking way.

Yes we do. He never started at Wake Forest when he was the best at his position.
That article about why Clawson will never leave Wake talks about his subscription to a couple core principles that require unbending adherence to in order to be successful. This makes me think that something about KW3 was in conflict to one of those principles, like PT rotation or specific scheme or something along those lines, and that's why DC let him walk.

I agree with this for the most part. However, this does not seem like a "lightening in a bottle" talent year for us. There doesn't seem to be anything unsustainable about our current roster that you might argue for the Fresh Deacs defensive unit. We have some modest boost from Super Seniors, but not like some seem to be saying. Clemson is having a down year. That seems to be the only unique thing to this year and we haven't even played them yet. If we can maintain our offensive coaching staff, I think we can maintain our offensive success and even build on it. We have had multiple QBs perform at a high level. Receivers are next man up. Our superstar RB left and we are still successful. We just need to make sure we can maintain a reliable OLine. We also need to make sure we can keep enough QBs maturing through the system as experience running the offense to precision seems to be essential. Raw talent isn't enough for our O.

I agree - the Fresh Deacs were a once in generation collection of talent on defense. We can’t replicate that easily at WF- we all knew that after 2008- we were gonna come back to Earth so to speak. Honestly, in hindsight- we were fortunate all of those guys played all 4 years.

That article about why Clawson will never leave Wake talks about his subscription to a couple core principles that require unbending adherence to in order to be successful. This makes me think that something about KW3 was in conflict to one of those principles, like PT rotation or specific scheme or something along those lines, and that's why DC let him walk.
Coach said he didn't know why he left. I'm just trying to help.

I agree - the Fresh Deacs were a once in generation collection of talent on defense. We can’t replicate that easily at WF- we all knew that after 2008- we were gonna come back to Earth so to speak. Honestly, in hindsight- we were fortunate all of those guys played all 4 years.

Yeah. The FRESH DEACS were a result of a recruiting class that was almost all defensive players and recruiting before YouTube and social media when it was easier to get guys who were off the radar. I could see Clawson recruiting a defense heavy class if he feels the offensive depth is in a good place. It wouldn't take much. 3 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB, 1 other and the rest defense.

Coach said he didn't know why he left. I'm just trying to help.
I read Clawson's comment as more of a "I know why, but it's KW3's place to speak on so I'm not going to put words in his mouth or feed any speculation."

There's a slim chance Clawson doesn't know exactly why KW3 left.

A Grobe Story. Years ago I was checking in to a Marriott Courtyard in Tampa. Right behind me was Coach Grobe and an assistant. We ended up going to dinner together. He said he was in Florida to find some db's cuz the ones he has can't cover anybody. So fast forward. Clawson has talked about the same thing for years. Athletes, depth, get them ready, injuries. I always think about that day.

Back