• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson will never leave WF

Good read.

To sustain success at WF will also require increases in pay.

So… this is macktheknife, right?

Let’s start with this: He is the most articulate of any coach in any sport I’ve ever heard. His insights are penetrating, logical, sensible, and enlightening. Some coaches have the gift of gab and are entertaining but not necessarily eloquent; this guy doesn’t gab.

He speaks with an obvious and smooth command of the English language, proper grammar, and with a touch of wit. He’s like an Ivy League English or History professor with the command of his words, but much more easy to relate to and like.

Known for his voracious reading habits, this guy went to one of the best universities in the United States, Williams College, arguably a higher quality education than several of the Ivy Leagues. Don’t believe me? Ask people who really know higher education what they think of the quality of a Williams College education, and they’ll fill you in: Williams College is for very, very smart people and delivers an ultra-elite education to its students.

Williams College is all about the intellect and the mind and pursuing deep and important thoughts and ideas. This education molded Clawson’s mind.

Don’t think DC and co. will move on because of money - Bob, Ben, and Mit- will pass hat for whatever it takes. It’s more does he leave for the next challenge or does he think he’s reached ceiling at Wake?

Don’t think DC and co. will move on because of money - Bob, Ben, and Mit- will pass hat for whatever it takes. It’s more does he leave for the next challenge or does he think he’s reached ceiling at Wake?

I don't think Clawson thinks he has reached the ceiling at Wake. I really don't based upon his comments and press conferences. I think he sees much more opportunity and work to be done.

I don’t think he will leave but if he does, that’s okay. He’s turned this program around and if he wants to try something new, I won’t begrudge him.

I don't think Clawson thinks he has reached the ceiling at Wake. I really don't based upon his comments and press conferences. I think he sees much more opportunity and work to be done.
IF, big if, we can win the ACCCG this year, and don't get into the CFP, and return a ton of guys, and repeat a ACCCG run next year... things will really begin to change from a recruiting and media perception and CFP consideration perspective. Unfortunately it will take two years like this to not be considered a fluke or a "how cute of a story."

I don’t think he will leave but if he does, that’s okay. He’s turned this program around and if he wants to try something new, I won’t begrudge him.

If he leaves for a place like Penn State(which I fully expect to be open due to Franklin going West), I absolutely would not begrudge him. Just dont leave for a place like VPI.

IF, big if, we can win the ACCCG this year, and don't get into the CFP, and return a ton of guys, and repeat a ACCCG run next year... things will really begin to change from a recruiting and media perception and CFP consideration perspective. Unfortunately it will take two years like this to not be considered a fluke or a "how cute of a story."

Agreed. I think things are already turning to some extent. I was at the NCSU game Saturday and I've never seen anything like that atmosphere in 50+ years at Groves Stadium. Never. It also appears the community is starting to adopt Wake which is huge. I agree that we could take even greater steps in the next 2-3 years.

I get your point but a team that averages over 35 points a game is not a fluke. But, the media needs to see it that way.

if we win an acc championship, I think it's even more likely Clawson stays

I can't read that article. It's like reading a letter written by a young man about how his hot girlfriend is too intelligent to ever leave him for a professional athlete.

This. It’s a ridiculous article.

if we win an acc championship, I think it's even more likely Clawson stays

I also agree with this. As I said in the other thread, if anything this year has shown that you can actually make the playoff at WF even in a perceived down ACC year.

I also agree with this. As I said in the other thread, if anything this year has shown that you can actually make the playoff at WF even in a perceived down ACC year.
That's what I'm trying to say... If we win the ACC and end up feeling slighted, and bring back this O and can somehow improve on the D... Next year could be just as special WITH a higher starting position in the polls.

Agreed. I think things are already turning to some extent. I was at the NCSU game Saturday and I've never seen anything like that atmosphere in 50+ years at Groves Stadium. Never. It also appears the community is starting to adopt Wake which is huge. I agree that we could take even greater steps in the next 2-3 years.

I get your point but a team that averages over 35 points a game is not a fluke. But, the media needs to see it that way.

Wake is a more integral part of the W-S community now than it was even when I was in school in mid-2000’s. The Innovation Corridor, new Med School buildings downtown, and sports marketing geared towards the city have been very strong. Yeah- we might be a lot of people’s second favorite ACC team but we need to be OK with that. I live in Dallas and there are a ton of people who didn’t go to SMU that embrace the school - show up for games, give money, hire grads, etc. While W-S is not the DFW market- you still have a lot of people out there who didn’t go to school who can be captured.

Meant to say early 2000’s- yes this isn’t back to the future

If he leaves for a place like Penn State(which I fully expect to be open due to Franklin going West), I absolutely would not begrudge him. Just dont leave for a place like VPI.

Franklin is as good as gone - penn state mailed it in 4 weeks ago. Let’s hope they go after the Cincy coach!

Back