• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

That makes firing Walter even more obvious to me. ECU can do it with worse facilities and worse players.

Don't know about the behind-the-scenes stuff like locker rooms and pitching labs but what I saw on t.v. today from stadium angle looked pretty neat. In fact, the outfield fan area known as "The Jungle" may have been the key to today's win as it helped turn a fairly routine deep fly for an out into a HR for the Pirates.

I think it has been obvious for some time that Walter needs to go. I assume our new AD recognizes that.

ECU has hosted a regional the past 4 seasons and they've made the postseason pretty consistently in the past 20 years. The difference between a mid-major conference team and a major conference team is far smaller in baseball than in basketball or football because there is no large monetary TV deal that separates the major conferences from the mid-major ones. You can make the argument that ECU is in line with most ACC programs in terms of prestige.

ECU has hosted a regional the past 4 seasons and they've made the postseason pretty consistently in the past 20 years. The difference between a mid-major conference team and a major conference team is far smaller in baseball than in basketball or football because there is no large monetary TV deal that separates the major conferences from the mid-major ones. You can make the argument that ECU is in line with most ACC programs in terms of prestige.

fine but we shouldn't settle for mediocre

only 15 college baseball teams have won multiple championships and 15 others have won 1 championship

wake is in pretty elite company

The VATCH coach has brought life to that miserable program.

That makes firing Walter even more obvious to me. ECU can do it with worse facilities and worse players.

ECU has excellent facilities and Cliff Godwin is an excellent coach. He played for ECU back in the day. And the jungle is a great way to watch a baseball game. We can do better than Walter. But the success of ECU is rooted in great coaching. Great facilities. And a fun/cheap place to go to college. And doesn't make your point.

ECU has excellent facilities and Cliff Godwin is an excellent coach. He played for ECU back in the day. And the jungle is a great way to watch a baseball game. We can do better than Walter. But the success of ECU is rooted in great coaching. Great facilities. And a fun/cheap place to go to college. And doesn't make your point.

And the awful assumption that Wake has better players than ECU, which is not true. They barely Ever leave the state of NC to build their roster.

And the awful assumption that Wake has better players than ECU, which is not true. They barely Ever leave the state of NC to build their roster.

ECU can accept JuCo players. A big advantage because of professional baseball draft eligibility rules. Lots of good four year college eligible guys go JuCo to get the extra draft opportunities.

Word down here is that Clemson is willing to pony up 1 million and possibly up to 1.2 mil for next coach. They have zeroed in on Michigan coach Erik Bakich who currently makes 850K. F$U after canning Mike Martin Jr for failure to get out of a regional in 3 seasons is gonna be all over ND coach Linc Jarrett who grew up in Tallahassee and played for the Noles. He is 80-29 as head man for Irish in 3 years. He is gone regardless of what Irish do or pay.

Both programs are sick and tired of not being able to even get to Super Regionals.

And Wake will have trouble attracting a high quality coach as long as the self imposed handicap of "no JuCo players" continues to exist.
Good players who can't afford 3 or four years of half Wake costs might be able to financially manage one or two.

Current or incoming SEC programs could rep 7/8 of the teams in Omaha.

Or 8/8 when UConn gets its invite in a couple years

Baseball is about to remove the scholarship limit.

I dont think that happens because teams signing 30-40 baseball players to full rides will upset current Title IX balance at schools. Not many schools will risk all their federal money for a better baseball team.

Current or incoming SEC programs could rep 7/8 of the teams in Omaha.

Or 8/8 when UConn gets its invite in a couple years

But not the Vols. Irish close the deal. Holy snikey! Stanford scored 7 runs on 4 home runs in the bottom of the 9th and still lose 13-12 to UConn.

Back