• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - It's Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite books you’ve read this year?

I think my five favs in no order were:

The Decagon House Murders - Yukito Ayatsuji
Story of Your Life - Ted Chiang
A Painted House - John Grisham
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
How Much of These Hills is Gold - C Pam Zhang

With a couple weeks left in the year I surpassed my 52 books goal, including 23 Stephen Kings. Of King books my favorite three were:

The Dark Half
Desperation
Four Past Midnight

Afterparties:Stories by the late Anthony Veasna So.

My kids are pretty young and I wonder some time if they will even need to learn to drive or if self driving options will be the norm.

i have a hard time believing self-driving will ever conquer non-metro areas

Last edited:

With a couple weeks left in the year I surpassed my 52 books goal, including 23 Stephen Kings. Of King books my favorite three were:

The Dark Half
Desperation
Four Past Midnight

A Man Lies Dreaming-Lavie Tidar
Days Without End-Sebastian Barry
Heart Shaped Box-Joe Hill
The Terror-Dan Simmons

Reread a lot of King too, especially short stories. I'm not sure how many total books on the year, but I doubt it was 52. That's a good goal for next year. Which one of your top 5 would I like best and I'll start the new year in your honor?

Just bought my Gator Bowl tickets. Taking the whole family and also going to the event the night before at the stadium. I'm going to assume that my 5 month old doesn't need a ticket to either event.

A Man Lies Dreaming-Lavie Tidar
Days Without End-Sebastian Barry
Heart Shaped Box-Joe Hill
The Terror-Dan Simmons

Reread a lot of King too, especially short stories. I'm not sure how many total books on the year, but I doubt it was 52. That's a good goal for next year. Which one of your top 5 would I like best and I'll start the new year in your honor?

Decagon House Murders is incredible. It was just translated into English and put back into print/circulation this past year. It’s a homage to Agatha Christie and the genre.

Story of Your Life is a short story collection that contains the story that turned into the movie “Arrival,” and some other really outstanding stories. He’s the best scifi short story guy alive today I think. I’d read everything he read if you haven’t already.

mine was 96 grand cherokee. i loved that thing.

first college GF wrecked it on I81 driving home for christmas break

My second car was a 96 Cherokee XJ. Was a piece of junk but was perfect for Boone winters & I loved that car. The back windshield fluid sprayed about five feet straight back from the car so that was always funny

Afterparties:Stories by the late Anthony Veasna So.

didn't read Afterparties but read some of his stories in other publications -- perhaps of interest

Buzzfeed piece by his partner: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alexgtorres/anthony-veasna-afterparties-boyfriend-alex-torres

Vulture piece: https://www.vulture.com/article/anthony-veasna-so-afterparties.html

I'm bad at remembering what I've read when but I really dug the two Bud Smith books I read -- Double Bird and Work

My second car was a 96 Cherokee XJ. Was a piece of junk but was perfect for Boone winters & I loved that car. The back windshield fluid sprayed about five feet straight back from the car so that was always funny

I didn’t know you were a high school neighbor. Watauga grad?

Favorite books:

NK Jesmin’s Broken Earth Trilogy
James Cone’s God if the Oppressed
Imbolo Mbue’s How Beautiful We We’re

First car:
1990 Chevy Beretta bought for $950. Complete with sunroof that opening it meant unlatching it and putting the glass in the back seat.

The Dark Half
Desperation
Four Past Midnight

A Burning - The ending threw me for a loop and made me think of the book a lot differently afterwards.
Deacon King Kong - incredible
The Push - kind of like a psychological thriller, enjoyed it
Leaving is Not the Hardest Thing - a collection of essays from someone who grew up in a sex cult and then left it, interesting read although some of the essays are sad in the ways they depict certain parts of society

I really like apocalyptic fiction, so this year I read Leave the World Behind, Station 11, and The Dreamers and enjoyed them all.

90 Subaru Legacy. It had a sunroof though.

A Burning - The ending threw me for a loop and made me think of the book a lot differently afterwards.
Deacon King Kong - incredible
The Push - kind of like a psychological thriller, enjoyed it
Leaving is Not the Hardest Thing - a collection of essays from someone who grew up in a sex cult and then left it, interesting read although some of the essays are sad in the ways they depict certain parts of society

I really like apocalyptic fiction, so this year I read Leave the World Behind, Station 11, and The Dreamers and enjoyed them all.

I really enjoyed Station 11. Hope the miniseries is good.

I had two cars in high school. I had a 79 Mazda RX-7 that I learned to drive stick on, which wasn’t the most reliable car. Then I had a new car for everyday travel, like going to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back