• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

In the 2021 season, Purdue gave up an average of 20.5 points a game and 341.5 yards per game. Wake, respectively gave up 30.3 points per game and 423.8 yards per game.

Why did he do so poorly at Charlotte? What were his defensive rankings at Charlotte?

Id guess it was because he started the Charlotte program from scratch and probably didn’t have a ton to work with for a while

He brought Brad White with him from Georgia his first time around. Can it happen again?

In all honesty, if this goes down, not only to we get a different scheme from an experienced DC, but we get our best LB coach ever back to improve our worst unit.

Dean Hood would be another good choice. 2 years now as the HC for Murray State. Hood lead the Racers to one of the best turnarounds during Covid in the nation in his very first season, ending their season with a 5-2 record and narrowly missing out on an OVC championship.

Last edited:
Why did he do so poorly at Charlotte? What were his defensive rankings at Charlotte?

He didn't. Starting a Div 1 football program from scratch and then moving from FCS to FBS is a huge challenge, especially in his first time as a Head Coach. He had probably done all that he could at Charlotte and it was best for both him and the program for him to move on.

Charlotte did improve noticeably after he left though, and it has been a program with a lot of potential, particularly in CUSA.

It was a strange hire since he didn't pull up any trees as our DC. I guess Charlotte was just seeing if he could "pull a Wake" there given his background with Grobe, but he could not

He didn't. Starting a Div 1 football program from scratch and then moving from FCS to FBS is a huge challenge, especially in his first time as a Head Coach. He had probably done all that he could at Charlotte and it was best for both him and the program for him to move on.

I was very surprised when Charlotte chose a guy with no head coaching experience to start a program. There was no experienced supporting infrastructure (AAD for football, admin assistants etc.) If I was Charlotte, I would have preferred a guy with some experience who wanted one last challenge, to be the founder of a program.

Charlotte did improve noticeably after he left though, and it has been a program with a lot of potential, particularly in CUSA.

It was a strange hire since he didn't pull up any trees as our DC. I guess Charlotte was just seeing if he could "pull a Wake" there given his background with Grobe, but he could not

He wasn't the guy to take them to the next step. But I think he would be an outstanding hire for Wake at DC.

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread

This isn’t the time to take risks on an unknown quantity. Next year is too important. Our offense should be elite again, so get someone with experience that you trust and Clawson can just set it and forget it. If true, I think Lambert would be a solid hire.

Last edited:
This also isn't the time to blow up the overall defensive scheme. Wake defensive personnel were recruited to play the 4-2-5. I don't think Wake has the bodies to play a 3-4-4 or 4-3-4.

Not suggesting that he should join the current WF staff, but another star coach who played FB at WF is DaLawn Parrish. He has built the strongest HS public HS football program in Maryland at Wise HS in PG County. The HS has only been open for 15 years, and Parrish has won five state titles in the last 9 seasons. His program produces multiple D1 players every year:
https://twitter.com/dalawnparrish

Not suggesting that he should join the current WF staff, but another star coach who played FB at WF is DaLawn Parrish. He has built the strongest HS public HS football program in Maryland at Wise HS in PG County. The HS has only been open for 15 years, and Parrish has won five state titles in the last 9 seasons. His program produces multiple D1 players every year:
https://twitter.com/dalawnparrish
Leave him there and throw him some cash under the table to send players to Wake

What scheme does he run, 4-3? Can we adapt how we have recruited (rover to LB)?

Heard he blitzes a lot which makes me happy. We haven’t been aggressive since Elko and his advanced blitz packages.

Like Clawson, Lambert is someone with family in Charlotte. Both have developed a home and ties to the Triad and Charlotte. Both have established respected careers at Wake Forest. Both are in their mid 50's.

"Home" is often a choice if you have lived in multiple locations during your life. Where do you want to spend the remainder of your? What do you wish to do? With whom do you wish to spend that time? It could be that Dave and Brad have made that decision.

This also isn't the time to blow up the overall defensive scheme. Wake defensive personnel were recruited to play the 4-2-5. I don't think Wake has the bodies to play a 3-4-4 or 4-3-4.

One could argue we don’t have the personnel to play the 4-2-5.

Back