• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

Take a top-shelf offense and combine it with a respectable defense.... this team could be amazing to watch in 2022.

Compare the resumes of Lambert, Greg Jones and Hemphill. It’s a joke. Clawson has had a couple of Ivy League rookie coaches at DC and LB. Hemphill had no prior experience as a major college DC and Jones was an analyst and GA before taking over LB.

Anyone remember DeacMom from 10+ years back? She was a favorite poster for a time whose son was a walk-on but made the team and played on defense a good bit for a season or so. She was very high on Coach Lambert, via info from her son and his close teammates, I suppose. Anyway, an interesting vote of confidence from the past sounds pretty good to me. No sour grapes at all from that period.

Her son coached under Lambert at Charlotte for a bit as well.

Seems like a good hire. Not a home run but a really good, solid hire with program ties. Very happy with it.

Exactly. People were wondering if Clawson would just promote from within. Sure Lambert isn’t the former LSU DC or another young stud or a well known vet. But he is experienced and well-respected and should bring an experienced staff with him. And he comes with the added bonus of beating out UVa to get him.

Exactly. People were wondering if Clawson would just promote from within. Sure Lambert isn’t the former LSU DC or another young stud or a well known vet. But he is experienced and well-respected and should bring an experienced staff with him. And he comes with the added bonus of beating out UVa to get him.

I think this move also points to the fact that Currie was willing to open the checkbook and give Clawson the dollars to hire a legitimate DC and staff. Very encouraging.

I’ll wait to be gleeful until I see that it’s official.

I think this move also points to the fact that Currie was willing to open the checkbook and give Clawson the dollars to hire a legitimate DC and staff. Very encouraging.

I agree. The extension wasn’t just a temporary measure while Clawson waits for some bigger program to call up. Everyone involved wants to take the program to the next level.

His salary was only $500k with some possible bonuses. That’s very low for a P5 DC. Hemphill was likely already getting around that much. May not have really needed to spend that much to get him especially if he wanted to return to NC.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/spor...cle_0d108ed8-ba0c-57ac-828c-816245dc4a88.html

Anyone remember DeacMom from 10+ years back? She was a favorite poster for a time whose son was a walk-on but made the team and played on defense a good bit for a season or so. She was very high on Coach Lambert, via info from her son and his close teammates, I suppose. Anyway, an interesting vote of confidence from the past sounds pretty good to me. No sour grapes at all from that period.

On a somber note, Deac Mom passed away last March:(. She was an OG from the Scout Boards (we reconnected there after we met at the Women’s Football Clinic one summer). That chance meeting turned into a 20 yr friendship and a few trips together to see the Deacs play. She did indeed think highly of Coach Lambert and many of the WF coaches who treated her son, as a walk-on, as well as the scholarship players.

His salary was only $500k with some possible bonuses. That’s very low for a P5 DC. Hemphill was likely already getting around that much. May not have really needed to spend that much to get him especially if he wanted to return to NC.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/spor...cle_0d108ed8-ba0c-57ac-828c-816245dc4a88.html

The latest data we have has Ruggiero at 550k. I can’t imagine Hemphill was particularly close to that.

I sure Wake ponied up here. Not 2m a year or something crazy, but probably 700-800k.

Random ass guess is that the staff budget increased by at least a million. An extra 4-500k on a DC, more for Adams vs Jones, a big raise for Ruggiero, smaller raises for some of our other staff, and a couple of extra analyst positions… well it adds up real quick.

Yes, a truly somber note on DeacMom. Very surprised to hear but thanks for the update.

Higgins is getting close to the end of his career and deserves a HUGE raise.

The latest data we have has Ruggiero at 550k. I can’t imagine Hemphill was particularly close to that.

I sure Wake ponied up here. Not 2m a year or something crazy, but probably 700-800k.

Random ass guess is that the staff budget increased by at least a million. An extra 4-500k on a DC, more for Adams vs Jones, a big raise for Ruggiero, smaller raises for some of our other staff, and a couple of extra analyst positions… well it adds up real quick.

fwiw, sawvel was making $575k when he was hired four years ago. clawson has received two extensions / raises since then and

fwiw, sawvel was making $575k when he was hired four years ago. clawson has received two extensions / raises since then and

Oh interesting, I hadn’t seen that. Still Hemphill must have made less than 370k since that is the lowest non officer salary on Wake’s 2019 990 (I assume the Dean is a non officer position).

Oh interesting, I hadn’t seen that. Still Hemphill must have made less than 370k since that is the lowest non officer salary on Wake’s 2019 990 (I assume the Dean is a non officer position).

501c3s have to report the top 5 salaries outside of non officers but also “key employees” which are basically supposed to equate to executives. believe the 5th highest from the last filing is tom walter at $478k base.

I would have guessed Hemphill was between 400k and 500k and I think you are probably right with Lambert being around $750k. Still a pretty far cry from the big boys are paying though. Houston just gave their DC $1M/year. Don't get me wrong though, I think we got a very good coach and I'm in no way disappointed.

501c3s have to report the top 5 salaries outside of non officers but also “key employees” which are basically supposed to equate to executives. believe the 5th highest from the last filing is tom walter at $478k base.

Ah ok learning a lot haha. That is then the cap for Hemphill. Although ofc he could have gotten a raise since then.

Also Walter is grossly overpaid.

Back