• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: WF at GT - Wednesday Jan 19 7 pm - ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our 14-4 Deacs descend on Atlanta for a Wednesday night clash at McCamish Pavillion. Here is a report on the Jackets. Admit it, you missed it. Thanks to Omicron, the Face-Shield is back.

cropped_GettyImages-1231171848.jpg

2021-2 Jackets: Not that long ago, in March 2021, Coach Face-Shield led GT to its first ACC title in decades, but the Jackets are a very different team this season. After starting the season 5-1, beating a series of non-descript opponents, GT's fortunes have collapsed, winning only two games since November 26 (GA State in OT and @BC by 5). Currently, the Jackets sit at 7-9 (1-5 ACC) #122 (13th in the ACC). GT has been competitive, but lost its two most recent home games (L'ville by 3 and ND in OT). In addition to the loss of stalwarts Moses Wright and Joe Alvarado off last year's championship team, injuries have plagued the Jackets this year as projected starting PG Bubba Parham has only played in two games (and may be out for the season) and starting center Rodney Howard has missed the last 5 games with a sprained ankle. As the result of the losses and injuries, GT is now the worst offensive team in the ACC. In ACC play, GT is last in offensive efficiency (by a massive margin), 2nd to last in effective FG%, 2nd to last in offensive rebounding, 2nd to last free throw rate, and among the worst in both 2 PT and 3 PT FG%. The defense has been slightly better than offense, but still poor. Among the 15 ACC teams, GT is 10th overall, 11th in effective FG% defense, 12th in 2PT defense, and 11th in defensive FT rate.

Jacket Roster:

Against UNC, GT started:

G 6-2 Kyle Sturdivant Sr.: USC transfer; was a TO machine early, but has improved (no TOs in the last 3 games); 35% from 3 (41% in ACC games)
G 6-5 Gabe DeVoe Sr.: considered declaring for the 2021 NBA draft; leading scorer 20.5 PPG; 41% from 3; coming off his worst game of the season at UNC: 2 PTs 6 TOs
F 6-6 Dallen Coleman Fr.: 4 star recruit; 48% from 3; 34% from 2; erratic 4 double figure games; 6 ppg 5 rpg
F 6-7 Jordan Usher Sr.: USC transfer; 2nd leading scorer 15 ppg; 36% from 3; leading rebounder 7 per game; 22 on Saturday against UNC
F 6-7 Khalid Moore Sr.: Can't score; double figures twice all year; 23% from 3; 47% from 3; more TOs than assists

Bench:

G 6-1 Devion Smith So.: Miss. State transfer; coming off his best game of the year 16 points and 3 assists at UNC; has been awful for most of the season (82.5 O rating)
C 7-1 Saba Gigiberia So.: Forced into action due to Rodney Howard's injury; 4 points and 4 rebounds against UNC; 6 points 6 rebounds against Duke

Projection: KP projects a 73-69 WF win in 70 possessions. This is a bad spot for WF. Deacs are coming off a huge win at UVA, and host UNC on Saturday. GT is coming off an embarrassing 23 loss in Chapel Hill trailed by as much as 32. So, GT will look to bounce back in their return to Atlanta. GT has been competitive at home losing close games late to both ND and L'ville. Despite the bad spot, the matchups strongly favor WF as WF is bigger, and better offensively and defensively (particularly in the paint). As long as WF avoids TO issues, WF should win. That said, there is no chance that I would lay 4 on the road in this spot. Will just watch and be happy with a win by any margin.

Last edited:
I love ManMan and his game. His turnovers, however, are not trending in the right direction. Here are ManMan's turnover numbers in WF's last 6 games (all ACC opponents, starting with Louisville)

That is 31 turnovers. He has 30 assists over this time frame. Obviously this is a trend that can't continue.

One of the few things (maybe the only thing) GT does well defensively is steal the ball (3rd in the ACC in conference games)

so...taking care of the basketball appears to be a critical ask for Wednesday.

I love ManMan and his game. His turnovers, however, are not trending in the right direction. Here are ManMan's turnover numbers in WF's last 6 games (all ACC opponents, starting with Louisville)

That is 31 turnovers. He has 30 assists over this time frame. Obviously this is a trend that can't continue.

One of the few things (maybe the only thing) GT does well defensively is steal the ball (3rd in the ACC in conference games)

2 of those games without Daivien where he became primary ball handler and the next two against top defensive teams. He will adjust, get coached up and improve as you note he needs to.

2 of those games without Daivien where he became primary ball handler and the next two against top defensive teams. He will adjust, get coached up and improve as you note he needs to.

he was primary ball handler vs. UVA, too, but I agree that Daivien being a more vocal leader and distributor will help matters

he definitely earned all of those turnovers in the previous, too, but a few of his turnovers in the UVA game came from his teammates zoning out and not being ready for the kick. (in general, the team has to figure out whether this ManMan or Daivien is the point guard)

likewise, Forbes has to get on the refs from the start of the game to make sure that when he's getting calls when he's getting mauled off the dribble

Seems like a good opportunity to pound it inside, drive the lane, and cut to the basket to utilize our excellent 2PT FG%.

he was primary ball handler vs. UVA, too, but I agree that Daivien being a more vocal leader and distributor will help matters

he definitely earned all of those turnovers in the previous, too, but a few of his turnovers in the UVA game came from his teammates zoning out and not being ready for the kick. (in general, the team has to figure out whether this ManMan or Daivien is the point guard)

likewise, Forbes has to get on the refs from the start of the game to make sure that when he's getting calls when he's getting mauled off the dribble

Both Daivien and Manman were getting hand checked pretty hard while bringing the ball upcourt. I thought freedom of movement, particularly in the open floor, was a point of emphasis for officials.

Both Daivien and Manman were getting hand checked pretty hard while bringing the ball upcourt. I thought freedom of movement, particularly in the open floor, was a point of emphasis for officials.

couldn't agree more, with all the UVA hand-checking, I thought that they might have changed the rules during the years that I wasn't paying much attention

at least two of ManMan's turnovers were strips where he was getting bodied and hand checked by guys

at least two were good passes that his teammates weren't ready for

but that still leaves four really bad ones

Went to the UNC-Tech game Saturday night and had up close seats 2nd row center court. Great way to watch a game. Wore my deacon colors with pride.

Tech is not good. Jordan Usher is a baller though. Devoe was MIA. They can't shoot and are soft inside. If Wake plays anywhere better than so-so, they should cruise.

The highlight of the game was just how much Pastner took off the shield. When no one was around, he had it down. When he wanted to yell, he'd whip it off. He must have take that thing off 200 times. UNC just man handled them all night. Would have won easily by 30 if they didn't call the dogs off with 5 left. The UNC Wake game will be good.

Tech's size is going to give our backcourt nightmares on defense. Daivien and Alondes better be ready to play some defense this week...

Lets add points to this. Not saying he doesn't need to clean up the TO's but, except for UVA his scoring has increased at the same time. He is making a few wild passes in the last couple of games that are to no one.

2 - 15
3 - 15
5 - 20
6 - 25
7 - 25
8 - 14

Even TD didn't have a clean record in Atlanta, while he was undefeated in Cameron. IIRC in 79 we lost State on a last second shot which propelled them to the NCAA Championship.

Odom's last ACCT was an embarrassment to MD in Atlanta.

For whatever reason we don't like playing in Atlanta.

I think our best showing was in Odom's 1st NCAAT, where we won in the 1st round but lost to Alabama in the 2nd.

Even TD didn't have a clean record in Atlanta, while he was undefeated in Cameron. IIRC in 79 we lost State on a last second shot which propelled them to the NCAA Championship.

Odom's last ACCT was an embarrassment to MD in Atlanta.

For whatever reason we don't like playing in Atlanta.

I think our best showing was in Odom's 1st NCAAT, where we won in the 1st round but lost to Alabama in the 2nd.

That was 83 when we lost to NC State. I believe it was Lorenzo Charles who hit a couple of FT's to win the game. State had just beaten us by 40+ in the regular season finale. We did make the NIT that year and made it to MSG losing the in the semis.

That was 83 when we lost to NC State. I believe it was Lorenzo Charles who hit a couple of FT's to win the game. State had just beaten us by 40+ in the regular season finale. We did make the NIT that year and made it to MSG losing the in the semis.
We played S Carolina in Greensboro for the game to get to NYC.

Back