• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 24: WF @ FSU -- Saturday Noon - Bally Sports

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Saturday, the Deacs play a nooner at the Donald L. Tucker Center (formerly known as the Tallahassee Leon County Civic Center) at FSU. The Noles now host the Deacs after WF hammered FSU 76-54 at LJVM on January 4. Here is the link to the previous Noles Scouting Report: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/33305-MBB-Game-15-FSU-LJVM-Tuesday-7-pm-RSN-Bally-Sports

FSU Update: FSU currently sits at 13-8 (6-5) #84. When WF dominated FSU on January 4, Davien Williamson and Damari Monsanto did not play. Even so, WF took the lead from FSU at the 12 minute mark of the 1st half through the end of the game, and WF led by double digits the entire 2nd half. Laravia (22 points 10 boards), Williams (20 points, 6 boards, 5 assists) and Sy (16 points 10 boards) led the Deacs. FSU had two double figure scorers that day: Matthew Cleveland (13 points) and Caleb Mills (10 points). WF dominated that game despite committing 22 TOs and shooting 26% from 3.

After that game, the Noles started rolling, winning their next 6 games (5 in the ACC) in a row, including sweeping Miami (by 1 point each time) and beating Duke in OT. Then, injuries hit and losses have mounted. FSU leading scorer Malik Osborn went down in a loss at GT, and then starters Caleb Mills and RayQuan Evans missed the VT game (a 85-72 loss - VT shot a ridiculous 72% from 3 -- Hunter Cattoor was 9 for 11). Last night in a loss at Clemson, Evans (11 points) and Mills (16 points) returned to action, but it wasn't enough to win in Littlejohn.

Against the Tigers, Hamilton rolled out a new starting lineup which included two seven footers:

6-4 RayQuan Evans
6-5 Caleb Mills
6-6 Anthony Polite
7-1 John Butler
7-2 Tanor Ngom

Yes, Leonard Hamilton has found another 7 footer -- Tanor Ngom (from Senegal). NGom didn't play against WF on January 4. In fact, Ngom didn't play between November 24 and January 18, buy he has started the last two, and he appears to have one offensive move -- dunking - Ngom is 19-24 (86%) from 2. Despite FSU's size, Clemson had a +13 rebound margin and +5 TO margin. FSU's current 3 game losing streak has dropped FSU from #53 to 84 in KP. FSU's worst KP rating since 2015.

Projection: KP projects a 73-72 WF win in 69 possessions (WF and FSU played a 78 possession game on January 4). FSU is a desperate team, in need of a win streak to have any hope of receiving a 6th straight NCAA Tourney bid. FSU has been formidable at times this season as they have swept Miami and beaten Duke at home, but FSU is a banged up team that has struggled defensively over the past two weeks giving up an average of 78 points to GT, VT and Clemson, three teams that are rated behind WF in offensive efficiency and tempo. On paper, WF has a ton of edges in this game as WF is the #2 rated ACC team in offense and defense and FSU has dropped to 11 in both categories. WF worked FSU by 22 a month ago, and WF has added Davien and Damari since then. For FSU to turn the tables, it will need to force TOs. WF still struggles with TOs (14th in the ACC), and FSU still forces a lot of TOs (#3 in the ACC). Last Saturday, WF faced a desperate Cuse team, and the more motivated team pulled away. Again, this Saturday, WF goes on the road to play a team fighting for its life. We shall see if the Deacs learned their lesson. Yes, this is getting repetitive, but still like the over (WF has gone over its last 5 games - coinciding with Monsato's return to play; while FSU has gone over its last 3 games). Think WF wins a close one late.

Last edited:
Scared of this one after 'Cuse. Maybe I'm just LOWF.

I like the noon start time. Get it over with early, so I can either be miserable or excited the rest of the day. I'm also taking my wife out to dinner that night for her birthday, so it's nice that I won't have to miss the game.

Cashed a nice ticket on the Deacs in the 1st half last night.

Will likely avoid this one, but I think the Deacs have a good chance. Expecting it to be a close one.

I have a funny feeling that Leonard Hamilton and his team are going to pay us back.

We're a better team than the first time we played them, and they are struggling. Because nothing makes sense, and it is a difficult place to play, I expect to lose a close game. Would absolutely love to be wrong, but this is one of the Ls I expected.

I would have thought FSU would have been fairly desperate against a winnable clemson team so I don’t really know what to expect.

My only prediction is Monsanto loved seeing everyone else rain threes but he’s probably going to have the attitude of “ok it’s my turn again.”

I would have thought FSU would have been fairly desperate against a winnable clemson team so I don’t really know what to expect.

My only prediction is Monsanto loved seeing everyone else rain threes but he’s probably going to have the attitude of “ok it’s my turn again.”

Well if Monsanto's threes are hitting nylon and not bounci g off steel....

Free Shoes will be desperate. WF will shoot better from 3 this time than last (26%), as their 3pt defense has been poor. Shoes made 0 adjustments against us last time.

We need to win this to stay on pace for a top-4 ACCT seed. A State and/or Virginia dub (both at home against ND and Miami, respectively) would be a big help this weekend.

Away from the Triad. What is the best link to listen to Stan's broadcast? Rambling that Bally and ESPN does during games is too much and the constant reminder of Ratface's impending retirement is nauseating!

- Road game
- FSU losing streak
- Cuse game
- we shot 3's well last game

Don't feel good about the game. Cuse was a step back (the way we lost), really need to prove we are a top 4 team by taking this one.

77-74 Wake
Wake holds on in a close one after blowing their (typical) 1st half lead.

Annoying to keep catching teams off bad losses. Next 4 are all big, 3 road games and a big home matchup against Miami.

Have a bad feeling about this. 67-81 bad guys. Hope I’m wrong.

I can't find the information anywhere, but I feel like FSU plays very little zone and that makes me feel better about our chances.

There used to be a website that tracked how much zone vs. man-to-man a team played, but I can't remember where I saw it (or if it still exists).

Back