• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next 3 Games Decide Our Season

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
It’s February 9th, we are 20-5, 10-4 in the ACC and currently we are in 3rd place and just a .5 game back from first place in the ACC. Our next 3 games are against:

4th place Miami @ home (Sat. 12th)
2nd place Duke away (Tues. 15th)
1st place Notre Dame @ home (Sat. 19th)

Currently we are predicted as an 8th or 9th seed

- 0-3: we go back to being a bubble team, need to win at least 1 ACC tournament game to make the NCAA tournament

- 1-2: we tread water, 10th -11th seed

- 2-1: maybe move up the seed line to 7th, probably ranked top 25, best regular season since 08-09

- 3-0: This is the the fantasy scenario - Historic season, 1st seed ACC tournament, definitely move up to 5th seed line or better, ranked top 20. ACC tournament success could propel us to top 10 rank and top 4 NCAA seed

These 3 games will determine what type of season this is. What are your predictions?

Last edited:
2-1, losing in Cameron. Obviously would be great to get that one but I just don’t see it happening. Win on Saturday and we should be K’s last ranked matchup in Cameron.

It IS a great season already but yes it can become spectacular. How far we have come.

The refs just won’t allow it. We know this.

Duke will finish first. So whatever needs to happen for that outcome to occur will happen. A Wake win at Cameron is not likely to be one of those things. So I'm in the 2-1 camp.

If Virginia and Miami can win at Duke, there is 0 reason we can't.

Deacs were awful from 3 the first time around, and still had chances.

Important games, yes. "Decide our season"? Not buying that.
With 20 wins, our performance in the ACC Tourney decides whether we go to the Dance.
If we go, the season in my mind is "special".

This whole three games thing is a LOT of pressure.

Definitely determine whether the season is great, really great, or incredible.

Miami game --- need students.

Good, rowdy, loud student section --- could make a difference.

Huge game.

Getting ranked is the outcome!

Important games, yes. "Decide our season"? Not buying that.

The ACC is historically weak and very well could be a 3 bid league this season. We lose these next 3 and we are on the bubble and playing in the first round of the ACC tournament. I appreciate how bad the last decade has been, but I don’t consider 22 wins and an NIT bid to be “special”, not to mention that us winning the next 3 demonstrates our likelihood of winning tournament games.

Last edited:
Like I said, do well in the ACC Tourney and get an NCAA bid.
Special.
NIT would be a major disappointment.

That is all mainly a commentary on the weakness of the ACC, that 3 wins could separate us being the 1 seed in ACC tournament vs us potentially not even making the NCAA tournament. This season it’s a very precipitous drop from the top of the league to 5th place

The ACC is historically weak and very well could be a 3 bid league this season. We lose these next 3 and we are on the bubble and playing in the first round of the ACC tournament. I appreciate how bad the last decade has been, but I don’t consider 22 wins and an NIT bid to be “special”, not to mention that us winning the next 3 demonstrates our likelihood of winning tournament games.

The bottom six teams in the league (seeds 10-15) play in the first round of the ACCT. The chance of us playing in the first round are virtually nil.

You seem to be ignoring or overlooking the fact that we play @Clemson after Notre Dame. If we lose all four of our next games and then lose in the first round of the ACCT, I agree we'll be sweating it out. One win plus State and Louisville should have us in without too much stress.

The landmine, potential Quad 3 losses, are NCSU and Louisville. Miami, Clemson, and ND are all Quad 2 games that potentially nose you up a bit if you win, but don't really hurt if you lose (unless you start stacking those losses). Dook is obviously Quad 1. Our first ACCT game will likely be Quad 2.

Right now there’s 1.5 games between 1st and 6th. We are 1 game above 6th.

Back