• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 32: ACCT Time -- #13 BC v. #5 WF: Wednesday - 2:30 pm - ESPN

Pilchard

Reaction score
The ACC COY will lead our Deacs into the Barclays Center to play BC in Game 5 of the 2022 ACC Tournament. Here is an update on the WF opponent and the KP Projection:

Link to the previous BC scouting reports: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/33285-MBB-Game-21-BC-LJVM-Monday-6-pm-ACCN

Last WF/BC matchup: WF throttled BC 87-57 on January 24. The ACC POY led WF that night with 20 points, 7 boards and 7 assists. Five Deacs scored in double figures: Davien 12, LaRavia 11, Walton and Sy had 10. Also, Carter Whitt had his most productive ACC game of the season that night with 6 points in 2 assists in 16 minutes. BC had a miserable offensive game against WF shooting 26% from 2, and 24% from 3. 7 footer Quinten Post led the Eagles with 13 points. WF's 30 point drubbing was BC's worst loss of the season. WF is better than BC, but the Eagles won't play that poorly on Wednesday in the ACCT.

BC season update: After the WF loss, BC went 4-9 with two wins over Pitt, a home win over FSU and a road win at NC State. BC was generally competitive down the stretch. In addition to the 4 post-WF wins, BC lost OT games at ND (99-95 - BC led by 5 with less than 4 minutes left) and at GT in the regular season finale. After losing to WF, BC also stayed reasonably competitive in losses to Duke (72-61), UNC (58-47) and Miami (81-70).

BC forward TJ Bickerstaff is just returning for injury; so, BC essentially plays with 4 guards on the floor at all times with either 6-9 James Karnik or 7-0 Quinten Post up front (note that both Post and Karnik started against Pitt in the ACCT and each scored in double figures; if BC tries that big lineup against WF; would expect Jake to have a big day as neither Karnik nor Post can cover Jake). The Eagles' leading scorers are the Langford brothers (Makai averages 12 and DeMarr 11). BC third leading scorer is freshman guard Jaeden Zackery, who has played well recently scoring in double figures in 4 of BC last 6 games. BC is the worst shooting team in the ACC as the Eagles rank DFL in effective FG% (46% - WF is first in the ACC at 57%) and in 3 point FG% 28% in ACC games. BC did shoot 46% from 3 (7 for 15) in the ACCT win over Pitt.

Projection: KP projects 76-66 WF win in 68 possessions. BC is a scrappy team with a solid coach in Earl Grant. They limit possessions and hustle on D. That's a good resume for tournament success, but not this year, and not against this WF team. This game arguably matches up the best offensive ACC team against the worst ACC offensive team. WF has matchup advantages all over the floor. A slow WF start would not surprise me as the Barclays Center will likely be dead for this matchup. Even so, WF is rested and motivated as a win may lock up an NCAA bid. Expect the line to be 11+, don't like the WF side as BC will fight for 40 minutes, and Forbes may use his bench liberally as WF may have to play multiple games on consecutive days. I would lean under if the total is 142 or more. Deacs win, and will play in an ACC quarterfinal for the first time in 15 years, can that possibly be correct?

Last edited:
2009 Wake was in quarterfinal and lost to MD. So 13 years ago.

Always appreciate the breakdowns Pilch. BC is my second favorite ACC team mostly because I had BC season tickets for years (when they first joined the ACC you could sell just the Duke and UNC games for more than the cost of the rest of the package. But I will be booing the hell out of them tomorrow. We absolutely need this win to solidify our position IN the NCAA Tournament.

It would be nice to go out and take care of business early. Play defense from the jump and speed up the game. We need to break out from our 'recent' history, I believe we are 8-25 since 1997 in the ACCT.

Always appreciate the breakdowns Pilch. BC is my second favorite ACC team mostly because I had BC season tickets for years (when they first joined the ACC you could sell just the Duke and UNC games for more than the cost of the rest of the package. But I will be booing the hell out of them tomorrow. We absolutely need this win to solidify our position IN the NCAA Tournament.

If Brevin doesn’t chuck up stupid shots all game, BC has a chance to be competitive. But yeah, tough matchup for BC.

The whole team was eating at Peter Lugers tonight. Maybe that will be good luck.

We’re going to beat the absolute shit out of BC. I have no doubt Forbes has these dudes focused and ready to go, and our run to the title starts here with a merciless beat down.

2009 Wake was in quarterfinal and lost to MD. So 13 years ago.

Note that we were double byed into that spot. Making the next stat even crazier:

Wake Forest has not even won in the round of 12 (this round) since 2007 when we beat GT in 2OT in Tampa.

So Wake Forest is 0 For in this round altogether in 15 years. That has to rival our ACC road patheticness that Forbes blew right through this year.

There was no double bye in 2009. Only 12 teams in the ACC then. So we avoided day 1 (Thur), but lost in the quarters on Friday.

But yeah, we’ve sucked. That point still stands.

I would expect to see our big lineup early and often today.

Game day. Most confident I’ve felt about an ACCT game since maybe ‘05.

Game day. Most confident I’ve felt about an ACCT game since maybe ‘05.

Whatever you did in advance of our horrific pile of dog doodoo we layed in the only game we played in the 2005 ACC tourney, don’t do that again. Lol

Whatever you did in advance of our horrific pile of dog doodoo we layed in the only game we played in the 2005 ACC tourney, don’t do that again. Lol

I think I bought tickets for the championship game. Then I didn’t learn and after our NCAAT draw was announced I went ahead and bought tickets for the second weekend. I have never made those mistakes again. I was a stupid freshman.

Wake fans have to be among the most gun shy in the country, and for good reason. Time to reverse history.

I think we need to win two games to avoid being very nervous re: Dayton, or worse, on Sunday

expecting a relatively easy win today. Let's GO!

Patrick Stevens writes for the WP:

Last edited:
Back