• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NIT Thread - 2nd round games Sat and Sun

Such a miserable fanbase.

This program has had one post-season bid in more than ten years, and the prevailing sentiment is that playing in the NIT is beneath your attention. Many here act like Forbes should have had this team safety in the dance in two years after the previous incompetents left WF in total disarray. In less than two years, he rebuilt the roster, rejuvenated the program and completely changed the direction. Instead of appreciation, we have a bunch of brats posting here like they are above caring about a program that missed an NCAA bid by a bees dick.

All of you with that attitude, go root for Duke or Kentucky and don’t bother coming back. Just pathetic.

I used to know maybe 20 posters in real life, now maybe one or two are still active here. It's exactly because of this - how loud the voices of misery are here. Great post.

I love the I’m a better fan because I am excited to watch us play in some second rate tournament. It’s not like people are going to be tuning in to watch other NIT games it’s just the whole concept of the NIT and that it shouldn’t even exist.

I, at least, am not saying I'm a better fan, of course I am disappointed and think the loss to BC sucked. But, saying things like "this team is a shitshow" and that you are "ashamed" of Wake basketball is really fucking dumb. We are just a couple years removed from actually embarrassing basketball and it seems like some people have definitely lost perspective.

Considering we've only made the postseason once in the past decade and otherwise haven't even sniffed the freaking CBI or whatever the other bobo 3rd tier postseason tournaments there are, let alone the NIT, I accept the NIT and will pull for the Deacs to win the whole fuckin' thing. Disappointed that we didn't make the NCAAT, but that ship has sailed and I'm pretty happy to get to see ManMan play another game and hopefully do ManMan things so that my last ManMan memory isn't him charging at the end of regulation in the BC game. I imagine the other folks bitching about it are just salty as well about how the ACCT ended and will get on board once the Deacs are playing again and hopefully smoking that ass.

No pressure on the team going forward, so hopefully that helps them play fun and loose, which this season has led to some of the most entertaining Wake basketball games I've seen since the CP3 days.

I was a freshman when we won the NIT and I went to MSG and had a blast. It was my first post season experience as a student and the team had the makings of what would be a really good Deacon squad for a few years. For the students and players I'm happy they get to continue to play and see ball.

But times have changed some, and the NCAA has added 4 more games which further dilutes the NIT. As an older fan I'm less content with just any product being put on the floor as I see the rotation of teams that go to the NCAAT and we don't. As others have mentioned, there's a lack of certainty of what's returning next year, so what is this NIT actually contributing to player development is yet to be understood.

If we're playing, yeah, go and win the whole thing, that'll be fun for the students and players, but it'll just be a reminder that we should've done more. If we don't win or flame out early, that will be disappointing, but the spectrum of emotions between losing to Towson and winning at MSG is really narrow TBH.

Some here would like to call that "being a horrible fan" but i don't think expecting more is ever a bad thing, especially when you see Michigan or Wyoming dancing.

This post resonated with me for some reason.

I’m 1) very disappointed in the outcome of what could have been a special season; 2) addicted to Wake basketball and thus will find a way to watch these games as I have all season; 3) sort of numb/emotionless going into the remaining games, a far cry from all the games of the last couple months — I agree there’s a pretty narrow set of emotions between losing on Wednesday and winning the NIT, which couldn’t be more different from the swings in the ACCT or NCAA tourney. also agree on any success being a little bittersweet if it highlights what could have been.

But that’s what we’ve got so might as well go with it.

This post resonated with me for some reason.

I’m 1) very disappointed in the outcome of what could have been a special season; 2) addicted to Wake basketball and thus will find a way to watch these games as I have all season; 3) sort of numb/emotionless going into the remaining games, a far cry from all the games of the last couple months — I agree there’s a pretty narrow set of emotions between losing on Wednesday and winning the NIT, which couldn’t be more different from the swings in the ACCT or NCAA tourney. also agree on any success being a little bittersweet if it highlights what could have been.

But that’s what we’ve got so might as well go with it.

It resonated with me too. Maybe because I’m the same age and have had the same Wake fandom experience.

Our NIT championship win in 2000 led to some fun years, including J-Ho and the regular season champions in 2003. Lets win this, hang a banner, and build.

While I understand the "let's go win it" view, I think we are more likely to lose to Towson than win the NIT.

While I understand the "let's go win it" view, I think we are more likely to lose to Towson than win the NIT.

from a pure probabilities perspective, this is definitely true, and it is true for any team with less than a 90% chance to win the first game (Towson is stronger than the average road team in the NIT)

(for reference, how many 5-game winning streaks did we have this season against teams in KP's top 100? I see two 2-game winning streaks)

Does anyone know if replays of ESPN+ games are available after their conclusion?

I’ve been DVRing all our games so I can watch after putting the little ones to bed all season. Very small chance I’ll watch live. The anticipated level of excitement being low enough to not even have these round 1 games on TV could be self-fulfilling if it causes me and others like me to miss round 1 and then just say screw it, I’d rather use whatever goodwill I have with my family to watch as much as I can of the NCAA tournament — and that after not missing a game since our Thanksgiving weekend tournament.

My #betterphan announcement:

I secured 2 tickets for my daughter and I to attend Wednesday! Let's Go Deacs!!!!

:dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac:

I 'm going to disagree with Pilchard's admonishment of Wake fans who aren't happy. First of all, board posters, including myself, are way too interested in posting their own silly views in the hopes that others on the board will agree, shout bravo, and polish their egos. I've been a Demon Deacon for almost 50 years and have always been a fan, good or bad. But when we're bad at sports it's no fun being a fan. It makes me mad and frustrated, BUT I NEVER EVER VOW TO QUIT MY DEACS ! This basketball season has been somewhat of a revelation. 6-16 to 23-9 is really incredible. But it's not perfect. And if you watched our team all year, and viewed the circumstances honestly you learned that we were a pretty good team that didn't always play well, and didn't really improve after the end of January. There's nothing wrong with saying that. One of the problems with a lot of our board posters is they take each moment as good or bad, don't use common sense about what they see, and lose perspective because Wake Forest is always viewed as not good enough. We want to be "good enough" so that losses don't hurt so much. But we have never been "good enough" in football or basketball because that mantle is established over time, not moments or seasons. IMO unless we win the NIT we'll still be "not good enough" this season. Based on what we saw this season we "should" be able to beat any of the NIT field one time. Anything less should be a disappointment and feeling that way is the right way to feel if we ever want to shed the LOWF moniker.

from a pure probabilities perspective, this is definitely true, and it is true for any team with less than a 90% chance to win the first game (Towson is stronger than the average road team in the NIT)

(for reference, how many 5-game winning streaks did we have this season against teams in KP's top 100? I see two 2-game winning streaks)

Ha well i suppose you are right - i didn't really say anything there.

You know why nobody picked wake out of that bracket? Because our reputation precedes us. We need to change that and now.

Seems like a lot of NIT performance is how much the players want to keep playing, and I’m not sure now any of us would know that at this point.

I remember back in 2006, the last time we were in the NIT, we were coming off a hugely disappointing season, but an inspiring run in the ACCT. I think a lot of folks expected that run to act as a springboard into the NIT and for Justin Gray, Big E and Co to make a strong push in the NIT….and instead the played perhaps the most listless game of the Skip Prosser era against Minnesota and got bounced in the first round.

So, I have no idea how well we’ll do, but hopefully these guys want to go out on a happy note after what was, up until the very last game, an extremely fun season.

I 'm going to disagree with Pilchard's admonishment of Wake fans who aren't happy. First of all, board posters, including myself, are way too interested in posting their own silly views in the hopes that others on the board will agree, shout bravo, and polish their egos. I've been a Demon Deacon for almost 50 years and have always been a fan, good or bad. But when we're bad at sports it's no fun being a fan. It makes me mad and frustrated, BUT I NEVER EVER VOW TO QUIT MY DEACS ! This basketball season has been somewhat of a revelation. 6-16 to 23-9 is really incredible. But it's not perfect. And if you watched our team all year, and viewed the circumstances honestly you learned that we were a pretty good team that didn't always play well, and didn't really improve after the end of January. There's nothing wrong with saying that. One of the problems with a lot of our board posters is they take each moment as good or bad, don't use common sense about what they see, and lose perspective because Wake Forest is always viewed as not good enough. We want to be "good enough" so that losses don't hurt so much. But we have never been "good enough" in football or basketball because that mantle is established over time, not moments or seasons. IMO unless we win the NIT we'll still be "not good enough" this season. Based on what we saw this season we "should" be able to beat any of the NIT field one time. Anything less should be a disappointment and feeling that way is the right way to feel if we ever want to shed the LOWF moniker.

You can thank Birdman for reading this post.

Good post. Agree

Back