• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 33: NIT Round 1 - Towson at LJVM - Wednesday 7 pm

Yeah, Forbes needs to tell him he doesn't have free reign to just jack it up from where ever or if a guy is right in his face.

It's way past time for an ogboards.com poster to sit Forbes down and explain both the importance of the ACC Tourney AND why Monsanto shouldn't have free "reign" to jack up 3's.

The weird thing to me is that Monsanto didn't just miss all 3 FTs, but he looked almost like the didn't know how to shoot a FT and totally bricked them all.

Next practice needs to be 2 hours of shooting free throws.

Yeah, do they even PRACTICE FREE THROWS ?????

The staff shouldn't be using much team time on free throw practice. Guys can do that on their own. Run some gassers in between to simulate game conditions of shooting FTs when winded.

I don't think Jake is near NBA ready because it seems he would have to play the 3. I imagine him trying to guard someone like Miles Bridges and that doesn't seem remotely possible.

Yeah. He'd have to show he has the size and skill to be a stretch 4. If he's truly 6-8/235, size won't be much of a problem.

People always pick a super athletic NBA wing and say "how can this guy (usually white) play in the NBA". Cory Kispert is starting in the NBA (LeBron scored 50 on him last week). Other NBA players included Luke Kennard, Doug McDermott, Joe Ingles, Duncan Robinson, Jake Layman, Max Strus, the Wagner brothers, and 60 other white guys that aren't considered amazingly athletic. Jake is athletic enough at his size to have a shot to play in the NBA. Also, his athleticism won't radically change in one year. With the NBA co-focused on the 3, LaRavia really needs to hone his 3 point game.

Jake should shoot more threes

691af1.jpg

His athleticism won’t change but he’ll need to demonstrate it to scouts.

He has good size, good skills, and can do a lot of things well. Can’t see him as a starter within his first few years but he’ll be a reliable bench guy who can get you a full box score of production in limited minutes.

There is a threshold athleticism necessary to play 3/4 in the NBA. I have no idea whether Laravia has that athleticism. If he does, I think he has the skills and feel to be a long term guy in the league. If he doesn't, I think he would succeed in a lower 1st/upper 2nd division Euro league (I guess Russia is out these days), which is still a good living.

I'd love to have him for another year. I don't know whether that makes financial sense for him. And the trend, especially at Wake pre-Forbes, was for players to turn pro at the earliest opportunity.

LaRavia is 22, turns 23 early next season and he’s already played 3 years of college ball. That factors in as well.

laravia has been an excellent perimeter defender all year -- i think a good scouting report would list that as a positive. but i think more germane is (warning: #apetitrant) that pretty much all nba teams play four-out on offense and are constantly switching on the perimeter.

so i actually think the biggest reason laravia is an interesting pro prospect is a versatile defender who on offense can shoot, pass and play off-ball. biggest weakness is probably inability to create his own shot, but that's not really a big deal for a role player.

I think the biggest con on LaRavia as a pro prospect is that he's a college player and he's not going anywhere until he takes Wake Forest to the big dance.

It's way past time for an ogboards.com poster to sit Forbes down and explain both the importance of the ACC Tourney AND why Monsanto shouldn't have free "reign" to jack up 3's.

1. I really have no doubt that Forbes understands the importance of the ACC tournament. To suggest that a message board poster needs to enlighten him is the height of arrogance.

2. Monsanto doesn’t have a green light to jack up threes whenever he wants. Forbes was clear that he wasn’t happy with all of his shot selection after the Towson State game.

3. For those of you who have been ragging on ManMan, the word is that he’s played the last couple of games with turf toe.

His athleticism won’t change but he’ll need to demonstrate it to scouts.

He has good size, good skills, and can do a lot of things well. Can’t see him as a starter within his first few years but he’ll be a reliable bench guy who can get you a full box score of production in limited minutes.

His decision-making slows him down a lot. He needs to get to the point where he can do whatever he's going to do with the ball quicker. That split second of indecisiveness makes it so he's a step slower than he otherwise would be.

Back