• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson: “If you took away the name Wake Forest, we’d be a Preseason Top 10 team”

May not show up this year, but I’m willing to bet that the name on the DC’s office is more important than the name on the front of the jersey long term in tiger town.

Nope I’m playoff or bust guy at this point, as it’s literally the only thing that matters in CFB anymore, once we lost at UNC the dream was over.
But the BC game wasn't for a Natty either. Just saying that what was on the line last year in the state game was the same as the BC game.

Unless you want to add extra points for doing it the first time, BC did have that "rarified air" feel about it , and last year was more of a "we better do this".

Beating State last year to 1) stay atop the division rankings, 2) beat a ranked division opponent, 3) have that opponent be State, all make it just as big of a game from a season standpoint.

But the BC game wasn't for a Natty either. Just saying that what was on the line last year in the state game was the same as the BC game.

Unless you want to add extra points for doing it the first time, BC did have that "rarified air" feel about it , and last year was more of a "we better do this".

Beating State last year to 1) stay atop the division rankings, 2) beat a ranked division opponent, 3) have that opponent be State, all make it just as big of a game from a season standpoint.

I’ve seen us win the ACC and been to the Orange Bowl, I really only care about the Playoff now.

I’ve seen us win the ACC and been to the Orange Bowl, I really only care about the Playoff now.
Agree. I think we were still on the fringe of that discussion until the Clemson debacle, especially the way the end of the season played out for the rest of the top teams. We could've ended up around 5th or 6th

For some, the only pre-season consideration is the average of the recruiting classes that could play on the field. I'd bet they simply sort by recruiting class average smallest to largest and call that the pre-season standings. They do not factor in coaching or player development - takes too much time and not as quantifiable. Maybe use starters returning to differentiate closely ranked teams.

For some, the only pre-season consideration is the average of the recruiting classes that could play on the field. I'd bet they simply sort by recruiting class average smallest to largest and call that the pre-season standings. They do not factor in coaching or player development - takes too much time and not as quantifiable. Maybe use starters returning to differentiate closely ranked teams.

What you wrote applies more to basketball preseason rankings. A few top freshmen can make a huge difference.

In football, many seem to use the number of starters returning on offense and defense as the starting metric. Most have figured out that true freshmen rarely make a big impact in football.

Clemson has had close games every year, even when they've won it all. State beat them last year, they are beatable. Problem is we haven't even come close

Clemson has had close games every year, even when they've won it all. State beat them last year, they are beatable. Problem is we haven't even come close

No disagreement. However, NCSU played Clemson at a far more advantageous time of the season than we did.

Back