• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

• Duke

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 60 57.1%

• Total voters
Pulling for Carolina to beat Duke and send K home, and then KU (I assume) to absolutely level and humiliate Carolina in the championship game. That's honestly the best potential outcome I can imagine at this point. But I won't watch any of it.

For the record, '80sDeac here from NC.

UNC fans are obnoxious for sure but I don't get why we have so much one-directional hate these days. UNC fans under the age of 50 don't give a shit about Wake. That's probably because most Wake students and alums from the modern era are not from NC. Granted many of us have stayed around but it's hard to have a one-sided rivalry. This is why I will continue to say that our rival is neither Duke or UNC. It is State. Hell, I know no one that went to Duke other than for grad school. Do I want to beat the hell out of UNC and Duke? Of course. Do I dislike them strongly? Yep. But State is first and foremost for me.

Interesting. See, I view State differently. They're as irrational a fanbase as any, but their alums are not very obnoxious, IMHO...probably because they don't win that much that often. On the other hand, in my experience, UNC/Duke fans and alums can be pretty damn obnoxious (on the whole I mean...have a handful of friends and many clients who went to UNC and Duke and they are awesome). Most of the State people I know are generally pretty humble, hard-working, intelligent people who I could drink a beer with. Most of the UNC/Duke crowd I know think they're more important and smarter than they actually are. That's the stuff that drives me crazy. For example, I grew up in a really small town in NC and a lot of my high school went to UNC and they'd never get in now (this is 20 years ago). Even my sister got a full ride to UNC and she's an idiot, but I swear to god her and all of her UNC friends think they are astronauts.

Anyway, I'm good with State being our rival. That's better than BC, although I'd rather have it be GT or UVA if we're talking strictly ACC and not the proximity to Wake.

Interesting. See, I view State differently. They're as irrational a fanbase as any, but their alums are not very obnoxious, IMHO...probably because they don't win that much that often. On the other hand, in my experience, UNC/Duke fans and alums can be pretty damn obnoxious (on the whole I mean...have a handful of friends and many clients who went to UNC and Duke and they are awesome). Most of the State people I know are generally pretty humble, hard-working, intelligent people who I could drink a beer with. Most of the UNC/Duke crowd I know think they're more important and smarter than they actually are. That's the stuff that drives me crazy. For example, I grew up in a really small town in NC and a lot of my high school went to UNC and they'd never get in now (this is 20 years ago). Even my sister got a full ride to UNC and she's an idiot, but I swear to god her and all of her UNC friends think they are astronauts.

Anyway, I'm good with State being our rival. That's better than BC, although I'd rather have it be GT or UVA if we're talking strictly ACC and not the proximity to Wake.

I laughed at your comments about your sister and her friends.

but i voted UNC because I do NOT want K winning a 'Ship in his final season. fucking gross

Pulling for Carolina to beat Duke and send K home, and then KU (I assume) to absolutely level and humiliate Carolina in the championship game. That's honestly the best potential outcome I can imagine at this point. But I won't watch any of it.

For the record, '80sDeac here from NC.

I don't invest in sports futures, but Kansas has the most favorable Final Four draw I can imagine. They get one-legged Villanova and then the winner of the UNC-Duke Super Bowl less than 48 hours later.

I don't invest in sports futures, but Kansas has the most favorable Final Four draw I can imagine. They get one-legged Villanova and then the winner of the UNC-Duke Super Bowl less than 48 hours later.

Agree. Kansas' entire tourney run has been easy street. Crieghton lost two starters before the round of 32 matchup; Providence was the lowest rated 4 seed in KP in NCAAT history as they won an inordinate number of close games, and then Kansas played #10 seed Miami in the elite 8. Miami has one big on the roster, Sam Waardenburg, and he fouled out early. So, KS had a lay-up drill for the entire 2nd half. So, to get to the Final KS has played:

#179 Texas Southerm
#49 Creighton (without two starters)
#32 Providence
#41 Miami

That looks a run to the NIT final. Now they get Nova, a team with no bench, without their 2nd leading scorer and their leader in minutes. Then, either Duke or UNC after they have played the game of the century. God has smiled on Kansas.

Agree. Kansas' entire tourney run has been easy street. Crieghton lost two starters before the round of 32 matchup; Providence was the lowest rated 4 seed in KP in NCAAT history as they won an inordinate number of close games, and then Kansas played #10 seed Miami in the elite 8. Miami has one big on the roster, Sam Waardenburg, and he fouled out early. So, KS had a lay-up drill for the entire 2nd half. So, to get to the Final KS has played:

#179 Texas Southerm
#49 Creighton (without two starters)
#32 Providence
#41 Miami

That looks a run to the NIT final. Now they get Nova, a team with no bench, without their 2nd leading scorer and their leader in minutes. Then, either Duke or UNC after they have played the game of the century. God has smiled on Kansas.

Yea you need those kind of breaks to win a Natty.

In my experience, I've observed way higher levels of obnoxiousness among Carolina and Duke grad students, with the exceptions being among the people who completed their undergrad at "rival" schools. Mostly a lot of very shameless hopping on the bandwagon in grad school. I went to grad school at UNC and was the only Wake grad in my cohort. One piece of sports common ground I found with my Duke colleagues was that we weren't bandwagon hopping for shit. Maybe it's overcompensating for something? Like trying to ham it up more for appearances. I don't know. Still want UNC to fuck up Duke and shit the bed in the Final.

FWIW, I don't know any bandwagon State fans personally, but I work in tech and work with a ton of State grads (and GT grads for that matter) and they're all very reasonable when it comes to State athletics. I've had way better sports conversations with them than anyone else at work. These are all people who are engineers, developers, statisticians, data scientists, etc. so people who chose State because they're actually good at that shit and not because they dreamed about kicking cow shit at football tailgates.

There is nothing worse on planet earth than Duke basketball and what it represents.

Where you live seems to matter here. The thought of listening to Goat fans brag is too much for me. I’m pulling for Nova or Kansas to beat Duke by 50 in the finals. That should temper both fan bases a bit. Or some sort of Saturday evening natural disaster.

I'd like to see a physical game due to the refs unwillingness to call a foul on either of these over-protected bluebloods. Herbert and K get increasingly angry over the lack of "respect" and the players escalate the physicality in response.

This all culminates in a brawl initiated when Bacot goes Will Smith on Mark Williams. Several players from each bench run onto the floor, both teams mix it up and half of each roster gets ejected. K then goes ballistic and receives a T. Incensed, he shoves a ref and is also ejected. The UNC scrubs win by 1 when a Dukie is called for a charge on a questionable call on the last play.

I can dream, right?

My sample size of Dukies is much smaller than Holes I've spoken with, but basically their fan bases are not enjoying the buildup this week at all. Duke fans, while relishing the chance to avenge the K Farewell tour disaster, fully recognize the possibility that they could lose on Saturday, and with it take away much of the lustre from K's career and from the rivalry in particular. Losing would be a generational blow to their self-worth.
Holes OTOH, thought they had "dropped the mic" on the whole K thing with their win at Cameron, but now a loss on the biggest stage ever would greatly cancel out the good vibes from "finishing" the K/UNC rivalry (they thought) by sending him out with a crushing loss.
One thing for certain: the loser will be haunted by this one for a long time, and the winner will relish it, regardless of what happens on Monday.

I punched him in the face and broke his glasses.

This is how I react to most of the folks I have met from U*NC for the past 57 years. Duke brings nausea and pity. One results in jail, the other in discomfort. Discomfort is the better of two miserable choices. Fortunately I don't have to make a choice confirming either. No vote for me.

The only accurate poll would have provided the option...not no, hell no.

That is all.

Back