Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Long Covid Thread

I think it took my wife and I about 10 days to test negative

Had a friend who kept testing positive for a month. He also has almost no sense of taste 1.5 years later.

Turmeric and black pepper will do the trick

I currently have Covid and my doctor told me not to bother testing to see if it is gone because it could continue to be positive for weeks after.

Historically Competitive
    So, I'm on day 15 of self-diagnosed bronchitis. I'm approaching my mid-30's & have never been sick for more than a day.

I tested (negative) for COVID at the onset of the sickness, and again around day 10, as a requirement of boarding a cruise (which we're now on).

While my syptoms check of every box of bronchitis, I'm getting more and more concerned there's more to it.

The strangest elements have been me feeling pretty OK when I'm upright, but as soon as I rest in any position other than sitting straight up; it's like my esophagus & throat tighten up. Nothing I've done really helps it.

My cough only really surfaces waking up and falling asleep.

Certain random foods/drinks (eating a tootsie roll nearly killed me) have caused me a ton of discomfort. Pretty much anything that thickens my saliva is no bueno.

I only dealt with hacking up a little infection (green mucus) for a day or two (on the first weekend) & that was gone by the time I could have seen my doc... but, now I'm regretting not being more proactive before I left the country.

I've got a few more tests that I'll take at the end of our trip & after isolating myself at home for a couple of days...

Having more upper chest pains the past couple of days has startled me.

Quote Originally Posted by LilburnDeac View Post
    I currently have Covid and my doctor told me not to bother testing to see if it is gone because it could continue to be positive for weeks after.
    I'm vaccinated and boosted once and tested postive for 3 1/2 weeks starting on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't recover full taste and smell for over 4 weeks.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

Long Covid Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vtwhat etc View Post
    So, I'm on day 15 of self-diagnosed bronchitis. I'm approaching my mid-30's & have never been sick for more than a day.

I tested (negative) for COVID at the onset of the sickness, and again around day 10, as a requirement of boarding a cruise (which we're now on).

While my syptoms check of every box of bronchitis, I'm getting more and more concerned there's more to it.

The strangest elements have been me feeling pretty OK when I'm upright, but as soon as I rest in any position other than sitting straight up; it's like my esophagus & throat tighten up. Nothing I've done really helps it.

My cough only really surfaces waking up and falling asleep.

Certain random foods/drinks (eating a tootsie roll nearly killed me) have caused me a ton of discomfort. Pretty much anything that thickens my saliva is no bueno.

I only dealt with hacking up a little infection (green mucus) for a day or two (on the first weekend) & that was gone by the time I could have seen my doc... but, now I'm regretting not being more proactive before I left the country.

I've got a few more tests that I'll take at the end of our trip & after isolating myself at home for a couple of days...

Having more upper chest pains the past couple of days has startled me.
    Dude, get in to see a cardiologist as soon as you get home. The differences between upright and at rest are worth being concerned about.

I get that it's hard to convince a doctor on the phone that you don't have covid, but self-diagnosing yourself with bronchitis is stupid. Go to a doctor.

I got bronchitis and pneumonia every winter in college and it was pretty much how you described it except worse. Weird that covid has convinced people that professional diagnoses don't matter anymore and that we should suffer alone. At least it's not covid and we can go on our cruise!

And I don't mean to sound insensitive to your suffering. But just because it's not covid doesn't mean it isn't, or won't become, more serious

Doctors were able to save SIL's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Deac Doug View Post
    Doctors were able to save SIL's eye.
    This is good news.

Tested positive last Monday and planned on going back to work tomorrow. Just tested positive again.
    Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    Tested positive last Monday and planned on going back to work tomorrow. Just tested positive again.
    You can test positive for up to 3 months. Really no point testing again.

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    yeah I think once you're past X days of symptoms starting, you're good to go. No point in waiting for a negative test or for symptoms to go away. You can be coughing for months later
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

My office requires a negative test to return.
    Hungry

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    My office requires a negative test to return.
    sue them for being too woke
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Your mistake was ever taking any test at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    You can test positive for up to 3 months. Really no point testing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dartsndeacs View Post
    yeah I think once you're past X days of symptoms starting, you're good to go. No point in waiting for a negative test or for symptoms to go away. You can be coughing for months later
    Different types of test. There is likely no point in taking another PCR test, those could be positive for a long time. But taking a rapid test is a great way to see if you are still infectious. CDC still says only 5 days, but pretty good recent data suggests many people are still infectious beyond this point, and the rapid test is the best way we have to determine this.

is it effectively positive rapid test = contagious; negative rapid test = not contagious?

is that true across variants?