• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

July 26 = Anniversary of Skip's Death

That wasn't the same night when 04 was on TV too was it? Skip was going around w/ pizza for everyone in the tents.

I'll never forget him yelling at me from across the court to stop arguing w/ Teddy Valentine. It was CP3's freshman year and we were playing a very physical Bobby Huggins Cinci team and my friend had courtside tix. Skip saw me jawing w/ Valentine and yelled at me "Hey, knock that off!" or something like that...

Just seeing him almost every day on campus was a thrill. Grobie didn't hang out as much but if you ever saw him he'd take the time to talk and stuff as well. A unique and great man.

The last convo I had with Skip was when he was at the Orange Bowl. He was leaving w/ the basketball team and I asked him if he couldn't stay 3 more mins to finish the game. He said "No I wish but I got kids to put to bed."

"In the nation?"

When I think about Skip, I think about how perfect a fit he was for this university - and I think it's why coaches before, and after, him have had difficulty meshing with our alumni base. Skip was very smart and, at heart, a wise ass as well (just like many on this board). He valued education and saw how special this place was, adopting it as his own. In so many ways, he defined this school and its fans. Anyway, I'm rambling on...but I think it was a case of right place, right time, right man. He's missed.

It's a rare thing when a coach and school fit this way. Ray Meyer at DePaul, Lou Carnesecca at St. John's, Wooden at UCLA and so on. Skip was the perfect fit for Wake Forest.

We miss you, coach.

These thoughts echo mine about Skip. He just fit Wake in so many ways. It is sad that the wonderful relationship ended in such a short time and the way it did. An erudite basketball coach wouldn't work at very many schools. Wake is one where it did.

We all miss you, Skip.

Everyone should have 2 Guinesses in Skip's honor. That's all he'd ever drink in public.

These thoughts echo mine about Skip. He just fit Wake in so many ways. It is sad that the wonderful relationship ended in such a short time and the way it did. An erudite basketball coach wouldn't work at very many schools. Wake is one where it did.

We all miss you, Skip.

Nice reminders of what a genuine man Skip was - you appreciate that he was our coach for that short period of time but at the same time feel cheated that he left far too soon. Such a well rounded and interesting man.

I have no problem believing that was 10 years ago. We've been irrelevant for a decade.

I know it feels that way, but that 2009 era team might be the second best in Wake history in terms of overall talent.

I know it feels that way, but that 2009 era team might be the second best in Wake history in terms of overall talent.

Was that the year that we beat Texas for our only tourney win in the last decade? Yes, that was a talented team. Couldn't shoot, but they played good D and were talented.

Only reason we were good that year was because of Skip too. RIPIP

Was that the year that we beat Texas for our only tourney win in the last decade? Yes, that was a talented team. Couldn't shoot, but they played good D and were talented.

AP #1 team in the country, IIRC. Four players STILL in the NBA at last check.

Lol, cville is miserable.

He has been gone for 10 years and we will never know if he would still be the coach at Wake, but we do know he would still be a beautiful human being.

He has been gone for 10 years and we will never know if he would still be the coach at Wake, but we do know he would still be a beautiful human being.

Yeah. And yeah, I'm still miserable about the state of our once proud hoops program (14 NCAAs and 4 NITs in the 20 years before that). And I like Danny, but I can't say that we've turned the corner yet.

Just started my second Guinness in Skip's honor. Thoughts of what might have been.

We will never know if Skip could have been a hall of fame basketball coach but he definitely was a hall of fame person.

Back