• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brian Gregory to Georgia Tech?

With all due respect to Andy Katz, it seems pretty rare that a coach gets fired and the media community expresses their full support of the firing.

Honestly, I think it's partially due to the fact that columnists like Andy Katz are not close enough to the situation. They have to cover 100+ teams and they simply can't be engaged enough to fully understand the dynamics of each school's situation. They seem to look at the overall record and how the team did in the postseason and that's about it -- no effort to explore the subtext.

Firing Dino made sense if you REALLY watched Wake Forest play basketball during his 3 years, yet plenty of media folks acted with complete surprise. They pointed to the 61-31 or whatever and that was the entire basis for their opinion. Similarly, firing Hewitt makes sense if you have REALLY followed GT, yet you have Katz arguing that it is crazy.

Again, I don't necessarily blame these media guys, but they're awfully predictable when it comes to this stuff.

Good post. Considering those guys do what we do for fun as a full-time job, they don't do it nearly well enough.

Bobknightfan : Wake Forest :: Azdeac : Dayton?

LOL - Bob Knight and Don Donoher were actually very good friends. Donoher was on Knight's staff that won the Olympics in 1984. Per Wikipedia "Donoher-coached teams were noted for their discipline, tenacity, and sound fundamentals, frequently besting teams with greater athleticism."

The similarities stopped there though. Donoher was almost always very calm and composed, rarely got a technical called.

I would love to see Wake get a coach that could get teams to play with the above.

LOL - Bob Knight and Don Donoher were actually very good friends. Donoher was on Knight's staff that won the Olympics in 1984. Per Wikipedia "Donoher-coached teams were noted for their discipline, tenacity, and sound fundamentals, frequently besting teams with greater athleticism."

The similarities stopped there though. Donoher was almost always very calm and composed, rarely got a technical called.

I was actual more referring to bkf's love for Carl Tacy and how he didn't watch a Wake game for 20 years after Tacy was supposedly run off.

Just to be clear, bkf is a very active poster on the other board.

I was actual more referring to bkf's love for Carl Tacy and how he didn't watch a Wake game for 20 years after Tacy was supposedly run off.

Just to be clear, bkf is a very active poster on the other board.

I'm on the other board too, different name (Bleeding Black and Gold - I guess that name's too long here). So, I know who bkf is. Been a regular on these boards since 1997/98. Although, I have watched Dayton games over the past 22 years. Gregory did a good job there, not great, bot good. Looking at their history, Dayton shouldn't be celebrating his departure.

Back