• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gaudio to Kent State?

A lot of ADs will look at Dino as a career assistant who had a puzzling three years as a HC. Some will wonder why he didn't get many chances during his years as a highly successful assistant.

Wait, wait, wait.

People really think Dino has a shot at an ACC coaching position?

I started to say that I thought Dino would be able to get a better job than Kent State (and he probably could), but in retrospect Kent State could be a good gig. It is a pretty good-sized school, I think. Dino could do extremely well there for them, and then see if they want to pay enough to keep him and upgrade their program. Dino has a toughness that they'd probably like.

And they've been to the elite 8 more recently than Wake. As for as the MAC goes, it's a good basketball school.

And they've been to the elite 8 more recently than Wake. As for as the MAC goes, it's a good basketball school.

Interesting to note the career path of Stan Heath after that Elite 8. Highly regarded assistant to a big name coach at a big time program. Comes in and leads an already relatively established mid-major program on a miraculous tournament run, leaves for a bigger conference program, one that had a great history which had been somewhat tarnished by scandal and drama, and has had kind of a "meh" career since.

If Dino is smart, he will stay in broadcasting and analysis instead of returning to coaching... why prove either side right on his coaching abilities when he can be making dough as one of the many babbling experts on tv? (And not risk proving his coaching stay at Wake was the exception to his coaching history...)

If Dino is smart, he will stay in broadcasting and analysis instead of returning to coaching... why prove either side right on his coaching abilities when he can be making dough as one of the many babbling experts on tv? (And not risk proving his coaching stay at Wake was the exception to his coaching history...)

I bet he isnt making much money at all on ESPNU "experts", and I bet its a short term contract which only lasts a quarter of the year.. It would be better for him to go back to a more concrete career in coaching if able.

There's the rub.

People sure do like to bring up Bzz's previous jobs.

Of course. His last gig wasn't 61-31 in the ACC. You have to comb Bzz's resume to find evidence of success. The question posed is generally whether a coach can be successful at a high level, and you look at what he's done. Bzz has never had much success anywhere, so you have to go back through the resume quite a bit and argue it. Dino has it easier- he can say that at his last job he led an ACC school to a number one ranking and was 61-31 with two NCAAs in three years in the ACC. That should be more than enough to satisfy a school like Dayton, who would kill to have that kind of failure.

When your last job was impressive, and you did reasonably well there, the rest of your resume usually becomes a footnote. When you've never reached an impressive level, your resume is looked at more closely.

Last edited:
Has Gaudio been linked with the Dayton job?

No, it's just the type of job I think he'd be very good for. Dayton, Providence, VCU, etc. I don't think Dino has to step that far down to get a new job, because most outside of the Wake community consider what he did at Wake to be pretty solid. On a blind look, 61-31 with two NCAAs and wins over Duke, UNC, BYU, Gonzaga, etc. look very impressive. The majority of outsiders still think Dino got a raw deal.

If you're a low-major or a high mid-major, a guy that has over a decade of big program experience, and a proven record at recruiting above what your school is used to, has to be very appealing. Post-season flameout issues are going to be less of an issue at that level. Those schools just want to make the tournament regularly, and Dino has put together some fantastic regular season squads.

I think a very likely scenario is that Pat Kelsey takes an HC job this year or next. Dino takes Pat's spot on the Xavier Bench under Coach Mack and either parlays that into another head job or takes over at Xavier once someone offers up the $$$ to lure Mack away...

No, it's just the type of job I think he'd be very good for. Dayton, Providence, VCU, etc. I don't think Dino has to step that far down to get a new job, because most outside of the Wake community consider what he did at Wake to be pretty solid. On a blind look, 61-31 with two NCAAs and wins over Duke, UNC, BYU, Gonzaga, etc. look very impressive. The majority of outsiders still think Dino got a raw deal.

If you're a low-major or a high mid-major, a guy that has over a decade of big program experience, and a proven record at recruiting above what your school is used to, has to be very appealing. Post-season flameout issues are going to be less of an issue at that level. Those schools just want to make the tournament regularly, and Dino has put together some fantastic regular season squads.

Regardless of what the outsiders think about his firing, I would think these same experts would be quite aware that the other assistant coaches like Coach Battle did a lot of the recruiting (lol not to mention Skip Prosser had to be the main draw anyway), and that Dino was not the first assistant asked to be head coach after Skip Prosser died. I don't think people are going to take a chance on Dino Gaudio in Division 1 basketball for a head coaching position.

^^This.

I've never understood why people think Dino is a legit candidate for solid mid-major programs like Kent State or Dayton. He only got his shot at Wake through unfortunate circumstances and didn't do enough to justify getting a shot elsewhere.

I don't know..

He was a good recruiter and his D was solid. O on the other hand was atrocious!

That's probably enough to get a shot somewhere in D1.

Arlington, you are a smart guy and understand nuance.

Think about this for a minute. Dino was 61-31; had made it to the second round of the NCAAT;had a Top 15 recruiting class coming in and his salary was a bargain.

Does that sound like the reasons for his firing were exclusively,"we don't win on post season?"

Kels is involved with the Kent St. job right now. Didn't read through the thread, but he apparently pulled out of the Towson job last night.

Arlington, you are a smart guy and understand nuance.

Think about this for a minute. Dino was 61-31; had made it to the second round of the NCAAT;had a Top 15 recruiting class coming in and his salary was a bargain.

Does that sound like the reasons for his firing were exclusively,"we don't win on post season?"

No. When did I use the word exclusively? But that's the primary reason voiced by Wellman that played nationally, and that's the perception.

If Dino's next stop is head coach and it's for a team I've heard of, more power to him, but I will be shocked. I will also be very happy for him.

I think he got a shot at being a head coach, it was pretty clear he wasn't ready, so I think going back to the assistant route at a big program would make the most sense. Call it the Caldwell approach. Hopefully things fall in line again and he eventually gets another shot at it.

Back