• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phuket, Thailand

Rule #1 If they have fake boobs, they are dudes.

It's the craziest place I have ever been. Definitely pay to see the show (Guys approach you in the street with a list of things you can see so not hard to find). The lady was money with a dart gun!

After a night there, move on to Koh Phi Phi. It's more of a backpacker town with normal people.. I guess these people are in Phuket too, but all that you will see are the whores. We couldn't even check into our hotel without being propositioned.

Rule #2, See rule #1

Bangkok sucks. We did a day there before our flight out.. that was all we needed. Just take the water taxi up and down the river and you can see everything. Plus all of the temples require pants, and who wants to wear pants when it is hot as balls? We were there during the red shirt riots, but if you are white you are pretty much safe. Never felt threatened. Did go see a Muy Thai fight in Bangkok.. that was cool.. Sort of like the beginning of Rambo/Hot Shots Part Deux.

How long is the flight? I've always wanted to get there, but the flight seems like such a drain that it could ruin a 7 day vacation and be miserable when you get back and have to go to work.

Nope, just going to Phuket for some winter R&R. We're staying for a little more than a week, which seems like enough time to relax while also seeing some of what Thailand has to offer.

On the topic of Aussies, we ran into a lot of them (and Kiwis, as well) on our trip to Malaysia last winter. That also seemed like a popular tourist destination, given its relative proximity to Australia. Most of them were super cool, and it was nice to spend some time away from typical American d-bags. It's amazing how quickly Americans will start to annoy you when you spend even a little time in other countries.

I've found that the longer I live abroad, the more I overlook annoyingness and the happier I am to see Americans. So maybe there's a bell curve of annoyingness or something.

Refreshing this thread since I just booked two weeks in Thailand. Feedback on recent experiences? Currently thinking Bangkok for a day or two, Cambodia for a couple days at Angkor Wat, then a couple spots in Thailand for a week and a half or so. Pukhet and one or two others maybe...

Refreshing this thread since I just booked two weeks in Thailand. Feedback on recent experiences? Currently thinking Bangkok for a day or two, Cambodia for a couple days at Angkor Wat, then a couple spots in Thailand for a week and a half or so. Pukhet and one or two others maybe...

A good friend of mine just got back from Cambodia this morning and said Angkor Wat was incredible.

I think I've had 3 people so far swear it was the coolest place they've ever been. Very psyched.

I think I've had 3 people so far swear it was the coolest place they've ever been. Very psyched.

It's probably the coolest man made place I've been. Machu Picchu's surroundings are more impressive, but the actual structures at Angkor Wat are ridiculous.

Make sure you have your ducks in a row for entrance to Cambodia.

I'd look into Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tau (if you dive). Samui is the big tourist destination, and it's beautiful, but it's really crowded.

I'd save at least two days for Bangkok. Very cool city. One day doesn't seem like enough.

Thanks. What ducks - can you just buy a Visa when you land in Siem Reap or is there more to it?

Yeah that's what I read so was just curious what bdz was referring to.

I thought there was some nonsense with needing a photo or something. A friend of mine had an issue crossing the border once, but that was like 10 years ago. Maybe it's easier now.

I thought there was some nonsense with needing a photo or something. A friend of mine had an issue crossing the border once, but that was like 10 years ago. Maybe it's easier now.

Yeah, as far as I know you need a passport photo for any visa.

My bro visited. On his birthday he had a horrendous case of the shits, chills etc.
Had to spend day riding a moped and stopping every 10 minutes to piss out of his ass.

Another day, he treated a poor old villager to a whole fish at some hole in the wall.

The man ate the entire fish, then vomited it all back up on their table.

How long is the flight? I've always wanted to get there, but the flight seems like such a drain that it could ruin a 7 day vacation and be miserable when you get back and have to go to work.

It looks like it's around 24 hours including stops/layovers.

Bangkok sucks. We did a day there before our flight out.. that was all we needed. Just take the water taxi up and down the river and you can see everything. Plus all of the temples require pants, and who wants to wear pants when it is hot as balls? We were there during the red shirt riots, but if you are white you are pretty much safe. Never felt threatened. Did go see a Muy Thai fight in Bangkok.. that was cool.. Sort of like the beginning of Rambo/Hot Shots Part Deux.

couldnt disagree more. i loved bangkok. i'm also in to cities and culture.

go to the phuket night market at least once. the food is great there and there's plenty of shopping. don't eat at your resort. you'll pay too much and the food wont be near as good and is more likely to make you sick. i preferred phuket town to patong, but if youre there for a week go check out the spectacle. we had a private pool on our honeymoon there, so we didn't adventure too much in phuket, but i'd defs get off the reservation for meals. where on the island are you staying?

id defs do a spa day too. you can spend as much as you want for as swanky as you want but thai massage is awesome.

Back