• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Been to Hall's as well. We went on a NYE when my wife was preggers and we otherwise did not have plans. It is a real deal steak house. Great staff and ownership as well. We took our two daughters with us that night and had asked if that would be ok when we made the reservation. When we arrived, one of the owners greeted us by name before we checked in (ie: you must be the DSDs).

Last edited:
Been to Hall's as well. We went on a NYE when my wife was preggers and we otherwise did not have plans. It is a real deal steak house. Great staff and ownership as well. We took our two daughters with us that night and had asked if that would be ok when we made the reservation. When we arrived, one of the owners greeted us by name before we checked in (ie: you must be the DSDs).

They probably do this with lots of people, but we had a similar conversation with the owner at one point while eating, and then like a week later we got a card in the mail from him thanking us for our visit and referencing specific aspects of our conversation and inviting us back. We dropped a decent amount while there, but it was still just the two of us so it wasn't like we were the big spenders of the evening for them. It definitely makes them stand out (in addition to the quality of the food).

Yeah as good as the food is at Hall's, the service is even better.

Heading to Charleston next week with my wife for our anniversary. It's our first time there, and we have a gameplan set pretty well for food (as much as we can. Soooo many good options).

We're bringing our clubs and was wondering if anyone has played any of the following courses? We're looking for a course with nice scenery, that won't be too crowded, and will be a change of pace from our Chicago golf. I'm a 15-20 handicapper (depending on my putting) and my wife is more like a 25-30. She can't hit the ball far but hits it straight, so long courses with a bunch of 450+ yard holes aren't a good fit. The below made the list because of their price/difficulty/length, but if anyone has other ideas in the area we'd be open to those too. Not looking to spend more than $75/head:
-The Links at Stono Ferry
-Charleston National Country Club
-Shadowmoss Golf Club
-Legend Oaks Golf Club
-Coosaw Creek Country Club

Any help?

Had cocktails at Proof and a late dinner at Rue De Jean on Saturday night; the mussels were excellent.

Sunday afternoon I hit up the Biergarten for the Chargers game and ended up with a brisket sandwich with smoked Gouda and a fried egg on top. Delicious.

Heading to Charleston next week with my wife for our anniversary. It's our first time there, and we have a gameplan set pretty well for food (as much as we can. Soooo many good options).

We're bringing our clubs and was wondering if anyone has played any of the following courses? We're looking for a course with nice scenery, that won't be too crowded, and will be a change of pace from our Chicago golf. I'm a 15-20 handicapper (depending on my putting) and my wife is more like a 25-30. She can't hit the ball far but hits it straight, so long courses with a bunch of 450+ yard holes aren't a good fit. The below made the list because of their price/difficulty/length, but if anyone has other ideas in the area we'd be open to those too. Not looking to spend more than $75/head:
-The Links at Stono Ferry
-Charleston National Country Club
-Shadowmoss Golf Club
-Legend Oaks Golf Club
-Coosaw Creek Country Club

Any help?

I'd also consider Patriot's Point if you're going for scenery at that price. http://www.patriotspointlinks.com/-rates

Last time I played Stono Ferry when I lived there (5 years ago), it was no better than a cattle pasture. Perhaps times have changed.

With all this Hall's talk, I just had to post this gem. Just scroll down to the comments as they are hilarious. My favorite is the one about them running a brothel or crack house:

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/halls-chophouse/Location?oid=1144615

I had a friend who worked at Halls for a summer during college, and she claimed almost all the cocktail waitresses/hostesses slept with the Hall brothers at some point. That's sort of the reputation that place has. The place is still excellent and one of my favorite restaurants in town, but that rumor might have merit.

Those comments are hilarious. I didnt have that experience but could definitely see that happening. Moral of the story: I kind of want to be one of the brothers so I can be part of this brothel and eat bauss steaks all the time.

In other news, Charleston heads west again as another top resteraunt is opening in Nash Vegas. First it was Husk and now it is Butcher and Bee. Just wish Nashville would export Kanye Prime down to Chuck Teown.

Just read quickly through the whole thread and definitely taking some of the recs to heart. But maybe the Charleston experts can help with planning what might be a complicated ask.

We're staying on Isle of Palms for a wedding the weekend of October 11. Likely getting in early Friday and leaving early Monday. We're going to the Rehearsal Dinner Friday and the wedding Saturday, so Sunday evening is our only opportunity for dinner out.

We looked into Husk, but obviously it's all booked. Many of the other places mentioned were recommended by my cousin (Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, Cypress, Hall's, Poogan's Porch, Stars, Burwell's, 82 Queen, Amen Street). I think we don't want to do something as fancy as the high end stuff since we'll have spent a lot already on wedding, travel, house, etc. We'll also potentially have 6-8+ people, and this is less than two weeks away, so we'd like to make a reservation. And we also have a vegetarian in the group (which made us think steakhouses were out).

Poogan's Porch looked good based on online menu and reviews, but sounds like some mixed opinions from the boards. 82 Queen and Amen Street also looked like potentials. Other places to consider? I guess we're looking for Southern, potentially local, seafood good but not necessary.

I guess we also have a couple lunch/brunch openings, but maybe would like to stick to IOP and Sullivan's some? Supposed to be hitting up Poe's with my cousin. Is Acme Lowcountry Kitchen on IOP any good? Or Sea Biscuit Cafe? Would be nice to walk to a few places (we're near the Windjammer).

Sea Biscuit is a great local place, but if you take a big party the wait can be pretty bad. Acme is nothing special but can accommodate a larger party. It can be kind of funky smelling from the night before though.

Coda del Pesce is one that I mentioned earlier that is very near where you're staying and is very good, especially for seafood.

I'd also check out brunch or dinner at Obstinate Daughter or High Thyme on Sullivans Island if you don't want to deal with a trip downtown.

I'd avoid Poogan's Porch or 82 Queen if you're looking for something well above average. People visit Charleston to eat at great restaurants and those two are not at the top of the food chain, imo. I just don't think it's worth an hour round trip to eat there unless you have other things you're planning to do while downtown.

I just checked The Mcintosh on OpenTable. They can take a party of six on Sunday night at 6:00 and have a vegetarian entree on the menu. It's a great restaurant, but may be more expensive than you were aiming.

Yesterday I stopped by Mozzo Deli for a sandwich before I went to watch Football. Obviously didn't get to try a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm gonna check it out for breakfast and sides next time. There's a store next to it called Southern Season that looks pretty interesting. They apparently do cooking classes.

As Biff said, stay away from Poogans and 82 Queen.

Consider SNOB and High Cotton. Old Village Post House is a great option as well, and it's in MP, so it will be closer than driving to Downtown. Hanks is also good for seafood. Opal and Langdon's in Mount Pleasant are both very, very good. Red Drum is another good option for Mount Pleasant.

Pearlz, Coast or Fish are more casual options on the peninsula. Also, I wouldn't sweat the vegetarian thing - pick the restaurant that will be enjoyable for your group and let the vegetarian figure out what to eat when they get there. They choose not to eat meat, don't let them hold you all hostage.

Yesterday I stopped by Mozzo Deli for a sandwich before I went to watch Football. Obviously didn't get to try a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm gonna check it out for breakfast and sides next time. There's a store next to it called Southern Season that looks pretty interesting. They apparently do cooking classes.

Mozzo is really good; breakfast and lunch. Southern Season is a chain; high end grocery store with a big ass restaurant and cooking school inside. It's kind of interesting if your a food geek, but I haven't purchased much from them.

I went to The Mcintosh a little bit after they got their New Restaurant accolades and it was very good. Good combo of young and old people at the bar.

Sullivan's is pretty neat, go to Home Team BBQ and get a gamechanger. I also liked Taco Mamacita, but it might have been the three dollar sangria.

Mozzo is really good; breakfast and lunch. Southern Season is a chain; high end grocery store with a big ass restaurant and cooking school inside. It's kind of interesting if your a food geek, but I haven't purchased much from them.

Yeah, I really should have gotten a breakfast sandwich. Bunch of hungover girls doing just that when I was in there.

Back