• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

"They're going to bring with them their same-sex marriages," said Rep. Paul Stam, an Apex Republican and House majority leader. "They're going to want to get divorced" and have custody issues decided, he said. "We're not equipped to handle that."

We aren't equipped to handle it because we have too many heterosexual divorces to settle first, I guess. For all the progress it seems we have made as a nation in the field of civil rights, it is dumb shit like this that reminds us we have a long way to go. This is another example of how religion has no place in politics.

I will vote against it and hope my vote matters. I'm also glad that the people who represent me voted against it.

to the person who negrepped me because you're for it... that's all well and good, you're entitled to an opinion, but you don't have to negrep me about it... or at least sign it, so i can return the favor and even things out.

Like I said, I don't live in NC anymore but I feel SO strongly against this. I'm trying to get it out there, especially because it's on the primary, that people need to go and vote (against).

I'll help you out. Thanks for the thread.

We aren't equipped to handle it because we have too many heterosexual divorces to settle first, I guess. For all the progress it seems we have made as a nation in the field of civil rights, it is dumb shit like this that reminds us we have a long way to go. This is another example of how religion has no place in politics.

I will vote against it and hope my vote matters. I'm also glad that the people who represent me voted against it.

I'm sure that fellow buried in Atlanta would agree. Same as his associates Dr. Lowry and Rev. Abernathy. Let's not forget the Berrigan brothers. Barry Lynn says hello.

You have to love small government Republicans.

That would be the other republican party..
For better or worse, the GOP is really a big tent...
And some of its parts really do contradict each other.

WFU alum and former student body president is behind that website, FWIW.

also posrep to lbE for the nonny negrep

God I wish this shit would just go away.

Let people do what they want, I don't freakin CARE.

nonny negrep for giving posrep to somebody to make up for nonny negrep? seriously?

LOTS of people in your party seem to.

Speaking of, where is keeper?!?

This attitude is becoming the default among people younger than 35-40. Unfortunately it is decidedly not a common attitude in people over 55-60 and that demographic has a lot more money and much higher voter turnout. Much like the last vestiges of old-school racism this issue will eventually be addressed by turnover in the population but it will be a long time coming. I certainly will be voting against this amendment. I hope Romney has the nomination sewed up by then to depress republican turnout.

This is just stupid.

And, pos rep to lbE for the neg rep. If you can't sign the neg rep, just shut up, k?

My response has not changed. Your logic is totally wrong. It is not fair to expect Democrats to have to vote....against public pressure in some places.....100% to offset something like this which would never have come up in the first place but for typical Republican tactics. Blaming Democrats if this bill passes is totally stupid. Doing so ignores political realities involved in the situation.

It's basically the SOP that the Republicans used to extort votes from some Democrats for the Iraq War & the Patriot Act, to name a couple of examples. They painted Democrats as unpatriotic if they opposed either....using twisted or outright false information in a massive media campaign....knowing that political pressure could be brought to bear with such tactics to a many-times dumbass, emotional electorate. Same thing that they are doing here in NC, where there are a lot of fanatical rightwing religious voters. You can't expect some Democrats in some areas to just commit political suicide. That is what the Republicans want them to do.....so they can do similar stuff again, over & over. Place the blame where it squarely belongs: On the Republican Party!

Why not just blame all of the assholes who voted for this. Stupidity doesn't recognize party lines.

Why not just blame all of the assholes who voted for this. Stupidity doesn't recognize party lines.

I blame the republicans for being idiots, and the ten democrats for being cowardly idiots.

Question: How can a democracy/ republic call itself free when it passes laws to limit the rights of a minority? Just curious.

I blame the republicans for being idiots, and the ten democrats for being cowardly idiots.

Question: How can a democracy/ republic call itself free when it passes laws to limit the rights of a minority? Just curious.

Answer: One that was founded by rich, white men, many who owned other people.

WFU71 did it hit the nail on the head though, stupidity doesn't recognize party lines. Just that the far RW seems to exhibit more in the public eye then the far LW these days

It's democracy.. If a majority vote for it, it will pass. If a majority vote to remove it later, it will be removed. You can't have the good of voting without the bad. (Not taking a stand on the merits of this, just saying, limiting the majority is problematic as is limiting a minority).

Actually Deacon92, if I understand it correctly, it's not a majority to change it back. You actually need 3/5 of each house (I believe) and then a majority of the voters. So it's technically not a simple majority.

If we only let the majority of eligible voters make the decisions, I argue that today women or blacks would not be voting. Leaving someone's rights up to a majority vote is not how the United States or the state of North Carolina should operate.

Horrible Amendment.

But let's just keep calling members of each parties names. That's really productive. Let's make it us versus them rather than debating the issue and determining what is right. It's like Chris Rock said, "I'm conservative about some shit. I'm liberal about some shit."

Both of my parents are lifelong Republicans, but would never vote for this. The biggest political argument I've ever heard my mother get involved win was FOR gay marriage.

Back