• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

Bible says lying is a sin, can we make that illegal? When are we going to start stoning people again? What is even more hypocritical and stupid is the conservative view on judicial restraint. Restraint means you don't fuck with the constitution, especially not to restrict personal freedom. Sadly, some of the idiots that came up with this legislation have very close ties to Wake Forest. If people felt so strongly about the integrity of marriage, why do they get divorced at a 50% clip? I'm generally a moderate, but the Right is fucking stupid for pushing shit like this. You can't push the bible down peoples throats, especially when we've spent billions of dollars, and lost thousands of lives in the middle east because of that same shit over there.

Last edited:
So would you be totally fine with polygamy as well? After all, monogamy is a religious construct I think.

Plenty of people do it, but nobody in Congress is going out of their way to single them out so they can "defend" marriage.

As long as it doesn't hurt anybody or infringe on the rights of others, I don't see the issue.

what deadbolt said.

I believe in a loving God, whose instructions to me are to love others. Not judge others. Even if we look at the 'laws' of Christianity, the 10 commandments have nothing to say about what constitutes marriage... so why should I?

*edit to add: I am a Christian. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and all the other good stuff in the Apostle's Creed. However, in studying the Bible I believe it was written relevant to what was socially acceptable at that time. Man was more influential in penning many sections than God, so I'm not too keen on nitpicking little verses here and there to form the basis of discriminatory laws.

Last edited:
“He said to him, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.'” Matthew 22:37-40

“For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” John 3:17

This amendment does not show love to your neighbor, it condemns your neighbor.

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” Luke 6:37

Instead of using the government to force our beliefs on people, we should treat them with love.

“Brothers, if someone is caught in any wrongdoing, you who are spiritual should restore such a person with a gentle spirit, watching out for yourselves you won't be tempted also.” Galatians 6:2

“Dear friends, let us love on another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” 1 John 4:7-8

:rock:

that's how i feel about WFFaithful's post.

Furthermore, if you belong to the Baptist denomination, you should adhere to the Baptist principles of religious liberty and freedom of conscience.

Facts about this amendment you should know:
1. This amendment is not needed to prevent gay marriage: there is already an NC law forbidding gay marriage.

2. This amendment bars the state from recognizing any legal domestic union other than marriage, including partnerships between unmarried men and women.

3. Similar laws in other states have been struck down by the courts - meaning NC will face substantial legal costs to defend the amendment if it passes.

4. This amendment would take away legal protections for the children of unmarried people, including healthcare and prescription drug coverage provided though an unmarried parent and child custody, child support and visitation rights.

5. A child could even be taken away from a parent who has taken care of them their entire life if something happens to the other parent.

6. This amendment would take away domestic violence protections for all unmarried people and could lead to the convictions of their abusers being overturned. This has already happened in another state.

7. The amendment would automatically strip health benefits from unmarried people who receive coverage through their partners, including people with severe pre-existing conditions.

8. The amendment would interfere with the right of unmarried couples to visit one another in the hospital and to make emergency medical and financial decisions if one partner is incapacitated. It would also invalidate certain trusts, wills and end-of-life directives.

9. Seniors wanting to keep these legal protections would be forced to marry, which could cause them to lose their pension, health care and Social Security benefits.

10. If passed, it would be one of a handful of times our state constitution has been used to take away rights rather than grant them. You have to go back over a hundred years to find similar instances (notably forbidding interracial marriage and taking away the right to vote from African-Americans.)

Don't forget the FACTS when you weigh whether Amendment One is worth it.

http://www.progressnc.org/2012/03/amendment-one-10-facts-you-need-to-know-before-you-vote.html

Facts about this amendment you should know:
5. A child could even be taken away from a parent who has taken care of them their entire life if something happens to the other parent.

9. Seniors wanting to keep these legal protections would be forced to marry, which could cause them to lose their pension, health care and Social Security benefits.

As to point 5: Government apparatchiks would never, ever abuse their power. Why not just keep giving them more? No one seems to mind when apparatchiks force my earnings away from me. Let the wise government apparachiks decide which hetero and homosexual couples are worthy of keeping their children.

As to point 9: Seniors are incentivized NOT to marry now because of the stupid tax laws.

Why not get the greedy, power hungry special people of the governement out of all of this stuff and let people be free to do what they want as long as they do not harm other people?

So would you be totally fine with polygamy as well? After all, monogamy is a religious construct I think.

if a dude wants to put up with multiple bitches more power to his dumb ass

I've really never been as disgusted with people as I am when I see this issue pop up. To me, when we start legislating to take away rights from people (which, clearly, we have been doing since the Bush Administration), then the American dream is dead. In this new world, you only get to pursue happiness if you look the right way and worship the right God.

What rights have been taken away?

I think I would vote against this even though most of you know I stand way right of center on gay marriage. You must have an opportunity for civil unions and you must give partners visitation rights.

Bad legislation.

I visited a hospital today and nobody asked me anything.

Last edited:
Back