• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Playing Charlotte right now on ESPN+.

Decent win for the ladies. Elise, Kaia and Jewel combined for 44 points, 12 assists and 12 rebounds. We've struggled the past couple of years, but at least we don't lose to the mid-major teams like we did in Men's. Part of that is, IMO, there's a much wider talent gap between P5 and Mid Majors than in Men's. Guys at Charlotte and ECU and Hampton are trying to play professional basketball. Think most of the ladies are just trying to graduate.

Also, I'm not discouraged by Gebbia, but we should have hired whoever UVA did. They were dogwater last year (5-22, lost to Gebbia at American), and were opting out of games for "academic reasons." This year they are 11-0 and killing most teams. They have a lot of transfers.

Due to the timing of the firing, UVA hired Agugua-Hamilton from Missouri State in March whereas Currie hired Gebbia in May. Obviously, Wake didn't have a lot of room for transfers either. Completely different situations, but I don't feel as bad about losing to UVa a month ago though.

Next game is on Thursday vs. Longwood then Sunday at Cuse at noon in the second ACC game.

Longwood is 1-7 and just lost to Richmond 119-55. Jewel probably drops 30+ against them

The WF women are currently #81 in the Net Ratings. 12th among ACC teams (ahead of Cuse, Pitt and BC). FWIW, UVA who also changed coaches and who were worse than WF last season are up to #25 in the current net rankings. It's early, but remarkable turnaround for that program.

Lady Deacs defeated Longwood 83-43. Spear had 21/5/4 on 6-12 fg, 4-10 3pt. Soph Marta Morales got all her career highs in this game with 10/4/1 on 4-6 fg, 2-3 3pt. Hopefully, this game will give her some momentum.

The Lady Deacs at #80 in NET. Big game at 8-2 Cuse (#82 NET) on Sunday at noon.

Lady Deacs at Cuse on ACC Network right now. Up 10-7 at the 5 min TV timeout.

Up 18-15 at the end of the 1st. Hinds with 11 pts on 5-5 fg. 14 points in the paint. Spear hasn't scored.

Cuse doesn't have much height so they're one of the few teams Wake can pound it inside against. Hinds is feasting now.

Wake up 32-30 at the half. Spear with another buzzer-beating three for her first points of the game. Hinds has 13. Summiel has 0 pts, 10 reb, 5 ast. Scruggs has 7 off the bench.

Wake up 53-51 with 4:50 left in the game. Hints with 14/6. Summiel with 6/6/11. Spear with 6 pts on 2-12.

Down 59-56 with 1:36 left.

Missed bunnies and a FT parade turned it into a 67-58 loss. Second road ACC loss to a team with a new coach.

Last edited:
I don't watch a ton of collegiate women's basketball, but based on what I have seen, we miss a TON of wide open layups that I just don't see other teams missing.

Once again we live and die with Spear - it was nice to see us close when she had a really bad game (by her standards).

Yeah. Near the end they said Wake was 17-31 on layups. That's horrible.

Just watching the bottom during the Duke game, there appear to be a couple pretty big upsets brewing, including unranked USF over #3 Ohio State, and #6 UNC being blown out by #19 Michigan State. I feel like big upsets in women’s hoops are much rarer.

Ohio State-USF was 39-30 at the half too.

USF has had a good women’s program for awhile. They lost to State by 8 last week. They’re 1-3 against ranked teams, 10-3 overall.

Lady Deacs play Rhode Island at 1:00 on ACCNX (the ESPN app).

To follow up on the last post, USF lost to tOSU in OT, but beat #17 Arkansas the next day. So they're 11-4, 2-4 vs. ranked teams. That's a strong OOC schedule.

Last edited:
Lady Deacs play Rhode Island at 1:00 on ACCNX (the ESPN app).

To follow up on the last post, USF lost to tOSU in OT, but beat #17 Arkansas the next day. So they're 11-4, 2-4 vs. ranked teams. That's a strong OOC schedule.
Thank goodness I saw this. I’m avoiding finishing a chapter I have due like the plague. This will help delay.

Slightly ahead of us in the NET, so we're roughly equivalent. Mid-80s.

Seems good to be up 8 and Spear only has one point.

Other players pick up the scoring load when teams rightfully key on Spear which was a problem last year that Morra helped address. But to get to the next level, Gebbia has to figure out how to get Spear open. Opposing teams focus on stopping her, she’s forced into bad shots, and she’s still shooting 42% from deep.

Rhode Island is 9–1. Their only loss was to Harvard in the first game. They have one major conference win against Providence (9-5).

Up 15 at the half.

12-1 run in the last 3 min.

Four players with 6, 7, or 8 points. Spear with another three to end a quarter or half. Seems like she does that almost every game.

Keeping the foot on the gas. Up 49-26 with 6:02 left in the 3rd. 13-5 run to start the 2nd half. Love to see it!

Spear has 16 now, 5-8 (4-7 from deep).

Just started watching a few minutes ago. They showed the URI coach and I thought, "Man, she looks a lot like Tammi Reiss." She is former UVa great Tammi Reiss. Those early 90s UVa squads with Reiss, Staley, and the Burge sisters are the first women's squad I remember following that we'd talk about at school just like men's ACC teams.

Up 55-34 at the end of the 3rd. Spear leading all scorers with 19. She had 12 pts in the 3rd on 4-4 fg, 2-2 3pt, 2-3 ft.

59-45 win. Mostly garbage time in the 4th quarter without Spear.

Last edited:
Back