• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Deacs were up 25 and end up winning by 14. Solid win going into the break.

Yep. Need to see this in conference play. Cuse was a huge missed opportunity. Finally get a home game vs. Pitt next Thursday at 6:00.

Played golf with an American University women's soccer assistant. He raved about what a great person Gebbia is.

Was at the game today with my son. Thought URI played very strong defense early, but about 6 or 7 minutes in, Wake started running the offense better and moving the ball well. Defense looked pretty good, but URI had a bad game from 3. Not sure if that was good D or bad shooters. Wake coaches were all in pajamas, so that was fun. Team looked good. Hope they can keep it going into the conference schedule this year.

Taking a look at ACC stats as we start the conference season.

PTS Jewel Spear 5th (16.3)
REB Demeara Hinds 13th (6.8)
FT% Jewel Spear 5th (.847)
3PT% Jewel Spear 3rd (.430)
3PT/G Jewel Spear 1st (3.1)
AST Elise Williams 6th (4.1)
AST Kaia Harrison 24th (2.8)
AST/TO Elise Williams 14th (1.3)
BLK Olivia Summer 5th (1.8)
BLK Demeara Hinds 19th (0.9)
MIN Jewel Spear 8th (31.9)
MIN Elise Williams 17th (29.5)
MIN Kaia Harrison 24th (28.6)

The stats fit the eye test. Yes, this is a one-woman show in terms of scoring. Spear is the only player in double-figures. The next highest scorers are Harrison and Williams at 8.7 and 8.6 apiece. But the supporting cast is doing a lot to help.

Great start vs. 7-5 (0-1) Pitt up 19-6 at the end of the 1st. The game started 4-4 and Wake went on a 15-2 run the rest of the quarter. 8-8 from the line and Pitt has two players in foul trouble, 7 fouls total. And thanks to the women’s quarter rules, it’s not a FT parade for the next 10 minutes.

Up 34-22 at the half. Spear went out with 2 fouls with around 3:30 left and a 28-14 lead. They managed to keep a double digit lead without her.

Spear leads all players with 9 points. The other starters have between 4-6 points. Hinds has 6/8.

Good first half. I haven't watched a lot of other teams play this year, but Pitt appears from computer ratings to be the worst team in the ACC (although the entire conference is top 100 in Massey).

Yeah Pitt is....bad. Spear with three 3s in the second half already. Deacs up 46-28 with 5 minutes left in the third.

Up 51-32 at the end of the 3rd. Spear with 18.

Interesting stat from Stan Lewter. Wake assists on 65% of made shots this season compared to 45% last year.

Gebbia trying to steal some minutes with Andrews and Morales. They just aren’t ACC ready. Pitt with a run to get it to 53-40. Gebbia took awhile to call a timeout there.

Wake wins 66-51. Spear with 22.

Next game is at Clemson at 2:00 on Sunday on the ACC Network. Clemson is also 10-4 but they just beat #7 VT.

Last edited:
What happened to Deebie? The only time I saw her she was a spark.

She had a great game against Mercer (8 pts, 3 ast in 12 min), but she hasn't done much in other action. Spear, Williams, and Harrison lead the team in minutes and scoring. There just aren't many guard minutes behind them.

Gebbia has a clear main rotation, but she does slide a few other players into the mix when she can. What has struck me as interesting is that Gebbia is only playing Becker 14.7 mpg this season. Becker started almost every game last season and averaged 24 mpg.

Last edited:
Niyah has great length and is very coordinated, perhaps the best overall athlete on the team. The problem is she can't make a shot in a game to save her life. Part of the problem has to be mental. She was 4-29 from 3 last year and is 1-16 this year.

Becker was 38-136 (.279) from deep at Utah, so yeah, I don't know what it is.

Speaking of transfers, Gina Conti is the starting PG for #10 UCLA (12-1) and leads the team in assists. After redshirting last year due to injury, things seem to be working out.

While I'm thinking about prior Wake teams, last year's squad started out 11-3 (1-2) in their first 14 games. However, last year's team went 0-1 against major conference non-con opponents and this year's team went 1-2. So Gebbia is doing about the same with basically the same team but without Morra who was the 2nd best player last year.

Last edited:
Wake at 72nd in the NET which ranks 13th (!!!) in the ACC.

For reference, Wake is ranked 84th in the men's NET and that's 9th best in the ACC. Louisville is 345th out of 363 teams.

And yet State fans on Twitter didn’t understand why they dropped in the metrics after beating them by 12 in Raleigh. Well if you substitute Louisville with the teams normally in that area, you’d expect to beat Stonehill by more than 12 at home

ACC women’s hoops is tough. No doubt. It would be huge for Gebbia to win some road games against lower teams and pull off one big home upset. I’m sure Currie sold this job as an opportunity to compete on the big stage. And Gebbia is selling it to recruits which is why she already has a ranked class.

ACC women’s hoops is tough. No doubt. It would be huge for Gebbia to win some road games against lower teams and pull off one big home upset. I’m sure Currie sold this job as an opportunity to compete on the big stage. And Gebbia is selling it to recruits which is why she already has a ranked class.
What’s the best (free) site for womens bball recruiting?

Back