• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Carolina Panthers thread - Schedule release (No primetime games)

We can revisit this discussion in a couple years, but a promising, relatively-risky RB pick coming off an ACL tear seems like a luxury contending teams like the Chiefs/Eagles/Niners might pick. Not the worst team in the league, with plenty of other holes, at a pick you hope can be a plug and play starter at an impact position.

Plug n' Play starter in the second round is total BS. Best shot at that is at OL. Scroll through the list of second round picks from 2023 and their number of starts for yourself.

Plug n' Play starter in the second round is total BS. Best shot at that is at OL. Scroll through the list of second round picks from 2023 and their number of starts for yourself.

I'm seeing 19/27 teams with what I would consider "starters" from their 2nd round picks - ~50%+ starts.

I have no idea how you thought that list made your point, though you are correct that IOL is the best option - so why didn't we draft an IOL there vs. likely overpaying for 2 FA?

We can revisit this discussion in a couple years, but a promising, relatively-risky RB pick coming off an ACL tear seems like a luxury contending teams like the Chiefs/Eagles/Niners might pick. Not the worst team in the league, with plenty of other holes, at a pick you hope can be a plug and play starter at an impact position.
Sanders was supposed to be plug and play, and he sucked. Chuba was supposed to be plug and play, and he is mediocre. Cameron Artis-Payne, Raheem Blacksheer, Donte Foreman, Mike Davis, all those guys were the typical plug and play starters And guess what? None of them were worthwhile plug and play starters at an impact position. Who were impact starters? Christian McCaffrey, 1st round pick. DeAngelo Williams, 1st round pick. Jonathan Stewart, 1st round pick. DeShaun Foster, 2nd round pick.

It’s interesting that Panther fans have been abused by a shitty team so many seasons that they it’s openly agreed they are the worst franchise in the league. Usually around this time there is completely misplaced optimism.

I'm seeing 19/27 teams with what I would consider "starters" from their 2nd round picks - ~50%+ starts.

I have no idea how you thought that list made your point, though you are correct that IOL is the best option - so why didn't we draft an IOL there vs. likely overpaying for 2 FA?

Surely you see a difference between a "plug and play" starter and a guy who started a few games. And Mingo was one of the second round draftees who got the most starts. Do you consider him plug and play ?

Is your whole schtick to second guess every single move before camp even starts ?

Of course they could have drafted a lineman instead of grabbing some vets, but who do you think they should have overpaid for to play RB this season too ? Also, we've recently drafted linemen in the early rounds and we still needed help there.

The whole "we don't need an RB" argument is stupid. We need a RB. It seems clear that Morgan plans to flush Chuba and sanders after this season because the demonstrably suck.

You want an example for a 2nd round plug-and-play edge: Boogie Basham.

I had that optimism last year. But I don't think I can get it again until something is shown on the field. We are so far below every other franchise in the league it's fucking depressing.

It’s interesting that Panther fans have been abused by a shitty team so many seasons that they it’s openly agreed they are the worst franchise in the league. Usually around this time there is completely misplaced optimism.
That completely misplaced optimism is reserved for Steve Forbes on the 24-25 roster construction thread.

I thought the whole point of picking an offensive lineman 6th overall is because he would be plug and play. We can’t even get plug and play right.

Yeah Ickey looks awful and we couldn't afford to miss on that one. He very much contributed to Bryce's difficult rookie season.

Not saying much, but the offensive line might be the best unit on the team. Instead of fucking around with draft picks, we addressed the interior in free agency. And we added the best running back in the class to play behind that line. Again, it seems like they’re trying to give Bryce a fair shot.

Yeah Ickey looks awful and we couldn't afford to miss on that one. He very much contributed to Bryce's difficult rookie season.
He had a terrible season. I cursed his name every Sunday like it was my religion. But the staff didn’t need to leave him on an island as much as they did so that one of our incompetent tight ends could run a bad route and not catch the ball.

Surely you see a difference between a "plug and play" starter and a guy who started a few games. And Mingo was one of the second round draftees who got the most starts. Do you consider him plug and play ?

Is your whole schtick to second guess every single move before camp even starts ?

Of course they could have drafted a lineman instead of grabbing some vets, but who do you think they should have overpaid for to play RB this season too ? Also, we've recently drafted linemen in the early rounds and we still needed help there.

The whole "we don't need an RB" argument is stupid. We need a RB. It seems clear that Morgan plans to flush Chuba and sanders after this season because the demonstrably suck.

You want an example for a 2nd round plug-and-play edge: Boogie Basham.
No? I liked the Leggette and Sanders picks. I generally like spending $ on the OL, but we sure paid a lot for two interior guys. We'll see how that turns out.

I look forward to comparing Brooks' career to Kool-Aid, Seahorn Jr., Edge, and JPJ.

Are any of the receivers and backs on the roster capable of catching a pass beyond the LoS?

I was about to post "Diontae Johnson says hold my beer", but he did average 14 YPC last year - best in his career by far. I know we really brought him in for his blocking, though.

I was cautiously optimistic about the WRs last season which somewhat played out with Theilen. But I’m not optimistic this time I unless you count being optimistic that TMJ will get cut.

i actually like the upside potential of our UDFAs more than the draft picks

i actually like the upside potential of our UDFAs more than the draft picks

Tell me more. I haven’t checked the list yet. You’d think the worst team in the league could get good UDFAs.

Back