• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 MLB Season: Pitchers' Elbows Are Blowing Up...

Pilchard

Reaction score
New MLB Thread for the upcoming season...

• Yankees snag Soto... Going all-in 2024
  • Ohtani next stop remains a mystery
  • Bryce wants an extension (perhaps he doesn't understand he has 9 years remaining on his contract)
  • Kimbrel to the O's
  • Steve Cohen can't spend his money fast enough...
1701993216934.jpeg

Last edited:
I mean 700m/10 years…per year as much or more than 4 MLB teams.

Wtf!?!

dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow
not sure what ohtani is thinking

what i read it was no interest

In an effort to enable the Dodgers to continue spending around stars Ohtani, Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2 million of his annual salary — $68 million of his $70 million per year — until after the completion of the contract. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043."

what i read it was no interest

In an effort to enable the Dodgers to continue spending around stars Ohtani, Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2 million of his annual salary — $68 million of his $70 million per year — until after the completion of the contract. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043."
Oh damn. Yeah, that’s a bad deal for both sides and really shouldn’t be legal.

i'm gonna just admit i have no idea and believe his agent knows what he is doing
taxes? citizenship?

Loop hole if he lives somewhere without income tax when the deferred payments kick in

Loop hole if he lives somewhere without income tax when the deferred payments kick in
California state income tax is among the highest of the state income taxes. Maybe in 10 years, he is done with baseball, retired to Japan and taxes are different than if he was taking $70 million per year for the next decade while living in CA.

He wants to play for a winner and by deferring, it frees up more cash for the Dodgers to spend now (and a lower luxury tax hit)

But why should he be the one to take less and defer?

I’ve read that in a bunch of articles today, and the other tax lawyers/accountants can tell me what I’m missing, but how would that not be California source income?

But why should he be the one to take less and defer?
Need a tax expert to weigh in on what US income tax would be on payments by a US corporation to a Japanese citizen living in Japan. Might be zero. California state income tax shouldn't apply.

Need a tax expert to weigh in on what US income tax would be on payments by a US corporation to a Japanese citizen living in Japan. Might be zero. California state income tax shouldn't apply.

Untaxed $2M a year is still far less than a taxed $70M.

If it’s like the NBA, players pay state/province taxes on where they play each game.

Yeah. Everyone knows wealthy people don’t want more money.
I mean his circumstance is unique enough that I really don’t think it’s comparable to anything we’ve seen before.

I don’t think structuring a contract this way should be allowed, but I get it from Ohtani’s perspective

Back