• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 NASCAR Thread - Enjoy Illinois 300 - World Wide Technology Raceway - 6/2/24 - 3:30 FS1

Good to get NW and The Rock back into action and keep BGS going. I don't go any more but I like the old days.
I think having only (mostly) the high speed tracks that were are want-to-be DaytonaBR, Charlotte, Talladega, and Darlington has made those races boring until the last 10-20 laps. Old stuff was better action.

This 1965 Esquire article by Tom Wolfe about Junior Johnson and the North Wilkesboro Speedway helped bring NASCAR to the attention of a national audience. It's good to see North Wilkesboro back in operation-Mr. Johnson would be pleased.

Ten o’clock Sunday morning in the hills of North Carolina. Cars, miles of cars, in every direction, millions of cars, pastel cars, aqua green, aqua blue, aqua beige, aqua buff, aqua dawn, aqua dusk, aqua aqua, aqua Malacca, Malacca lacquer, Cloud lavender, Assassin pink, Rake-a-cheek raspberry, Nude Strand coral, Honest Thrill orange, and Baby Fawn Lust cream-colored cars are all going to the stock-car races, and that old mothering North Carolina sun keeps exploding off the windshields. Mother dog!

Seventeen thousand people, me included, all of us driving out Route 421, out to the stock-car races at the North Wilkesboro Speedway, 17,000 going out to a five-eighths-mile stock-car track with a Coca-Cola sign out front. This is not to say there is no preaching and shouting in the South this morning. There is preaching and shouting. Any of us can turn on the old automobile transistor radio and get all we want:

“They are greedy dogs. Yeah! They ride around in big cars. Unnh-hunh! And chase women. Yeah! And drink liquor. Unnh-hunh! And smoke cigars. Oh yes! And they are greedy dogs. Yeah! Unh-hunh! Oh yes! Amen!”

There are also some commercials on the radio for Aunt Jemima grits, which cost ten cents a pound. There are also the Gospel Harmonettes, singing: “If you dig a ditch, you better dig two....”

There are also three fools in a panel discussion on the New South, which they seem to conceive of as General Lee running the new Dulcidreme Labial Cream factory down at Griffin, Georgia.

And suddenly my car is stopped still on Sunday morning in the middle of the biggest traffic jam in the history of the world. It goes for ten miles in every direction from the North Wilkesboro Speedway. And right there it dawns on me that as far as this situation is concerned, anyway, all the conventional notions about the South are confined to...the Sunday radio. The South has preaching and shouting, the South has grits, the South has country songs, old mimosa traditions, clay dust, Old Bigots, New Liberals—and all of it, all of that old mental cholesterol, is confined to the Sunday radio. What I was in the middle of—well, it wasn’t anything one hears about in panels about the South today. Miles and miles of eye-busting pastel cars on the expressway, which roar right up into the hills, going to the stock-car races. In ten years baseball—and the state of North Carolina alone used to have forty-four professional baseball teams—baseball is all over with in the South. We were all in the middle of a wild new thing, the Southern car world, and heading down the road on my way to see a breed such as sports never saw before, Southern stock-car drivers, all lined up in these two-ton mothers that go over 175 m.p.h., Fireball Roberts, Freddie Lorenzen, Ned Jarrett, Richard Petty, and—the hardest of all the hard chargers, one of the fastest automobile racing drivers in history—yes! Junior Johnson.

The legend of Junior Johnson! In this legend, here is a country boy, Junior Johnson, who learns to drive by running whiskey for his father, Johnson, Senior, one of the biggest copper-still operators of all times, up in Ingle Hollow, near North Wilkesboro, in northwestern North Carolina, and grows up to be a famous stock-car racing driver, rich, grossing $100,000 in 1963, for example, respected, solid, idolized in his hometown and throughout the rural South, for that matter. There is all this about how good old boys would wake up in the middle of the night in the apple shacks and hear a supercharged Oldsmobile engine roaring over Brushy Mountain and say, “Listen at him—there he goes!”, although that part is doubtful, since some nights there were so many good old boys taking off down the road in supercharged automobiles out of Wilkes County, and running loads to Charlotte, Salisbury, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, or wherever, it would be pretty hard to pick out one. It was Junior Johnson specifically, however, who was famous for the “bootleg turn” or “about-face,” in which, if the Alcohol Tax agents had a roadblock up for you or were too close behind, you threw the car into second gear, cocked the wheel, stepped on the accelerator and made the car’s rear end skid around in a complete 180-degree arc, a complete about-face, and tore on back up the road exactly the way you came from. God! The Alcohol Tax agents used to burn over Junior Johnson. Practically every good old boy in town in Wilkesboro, the county seat, got to know the agents by sight in a very short time. They would rag them practically to their faces on the subject of Junior Johnson, so that it got to be an obsession. Finally, one night they had Junior trapped on the road up toward the bridge around Millersville, there’s no way out of there, they had the barricades up and they could hear this souped-up car roaring around the bend, and here it comes—but suddenly they can hear a siren and see a red light flashing in the grille, so they think it’s another agent, and boy, they run out like ants and pull those barrels and boards and sawhorses out of the way, and then—Ggghhzzzzzzzhhhhhhggggggzzzzzzzeeeeeong!—gawdam! there he goes again, it was him, Junior Johnson!, with a gawdam agent’s si-reen and a red light in his grille!..

It just seems worse here compared to the other tracks I go to. Daytona is probably the most welcoming.

That's surprising to hear as according to The Tunnels the state of FL is nothing but a racist and fascist hellscape

NASCAR has bought Bowman Gray Stadium racing from the Hawkins/Garrison/Pinilis family. Big changes coming I'm sure. Just processing the news.
Wow I was under the impression the city of WS owned it.

The city owns the facility (the stadium) but NASCAR bought the rights to race at the stadium from the family that started it and ran it for the last 70+ years. I should have been clearer in that post.

Some news: I actually won an NEH grant for the Digital Humanities lab at my institution to study the history of stock car racing in NC. It is completely unrelated to my area of Ancient Near Eastern Studies, but, hey, figured out a way to get paid for another hobby. With that said, I’ll be all over the state for the next couple years at tracks. Would love to meet up with some of y’all as I usually just go to Wake County, County Line, and Southern National. We will be trying to do interviews with drivers, track personnel, and fans to talk about the importance of these facilities to the local culture and community. Any help with greasing the wheels would be appreciated! This summer I know we’ll be hitting 3-4 CARS Tour races and the Thanksgiving Classic but we’ll be all around. Shoot me a message if you’re interested in meeting up somewhere!

Last edited:
Some news: I actually won an NEH grant for the Digital Humanities lab at my institution to study the history of stock car racing in NC. It is completely unrelated to my area of Ancient Near Eastern Studies, but, hey, figured out a way to get paid for another hobby. With that said, I’ll be all over the state for the next couple years at tracks. Would love to meet up with some of y’all as I usually just go to Wake County, County Line, and Southern National. We will be trying to do interviews with drivers, track personnel, and fans to talk about the importance of these facilities to the local culture and community. Any help with greasing the wheels would be appreciated! This summer I know we’ll be hitting 3-4 CARS Tour races and the Thanksgiving Classic but we’ll be all around. Shoot me a message if you’re interested in meeting up somewhere!
that's really cool! Some of the local NASCAR pioneers included Fred Harb, Bill Blair Sr, and Jimmie Lewallen. There was also a track in High Point off Skeet Club Rd. It's long since gone but there is a historic marker there. Bill Blair Jr is still around and has a replica race car, an Oldsmobile, similar to the car his father raced to victory on the beach at Daytona in the late 40's.

Larson to stay for the Indy 500. Allgaier will start in the 5, Larson is leaving as soon as the race is over to head to CLT. Will switch into his cup car and finish the 600.

If you need some contact info for guys at B-G hit me up.

Back