• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

IMAX 3D or just regular for Man Of Steel? Was it shot in 3D, or converted?

I'm actually really surprised at MOS's mediocre Tomatometer. It's down to 68% after 50 reviews. For comparison's sake, Star Trek Into Darkness is at 87% and Iron Man 3 scored a 78%. Even Superman Returns' 3 hours of hot ass scored a 74%.

The general complaints seem to be too much action, not enough character development, devolves into a generic action flick. Whatever, I'm still excited for it.

As opposed to Returns which was not enough action, too much character development, and devolved into some sad sack emo flick.

300 ended at 60%, Watchmen at 64%. I expect this to wind up in between those (or perhaps lower once the more "respected" critics start weighing in). Like I said before, Zack Snyder makes narratives that evolve more through visceral/visual means than a standard character development. His brand of visual storytelling doesn't tend to go over well with more of the stodgy, Academy-type critics.

I don't get how some of you already have such a strong opinion regarding the critics reaction to this film without having seen it.

I don't get how some of you already have such a strong opinion regarding the critics reaction to this film without having seen it.

You have to scroll back to posts about this looking like the GOAT among superhero movies to see what is being defended.

The critics seem to believe this is worse than Superman Returns. There's no way that's true.

I'm not a fanboy or anything but I have been psyched to see this movie for a while and had heard the hype regarding it from lots of places. But I couldn't even to begin to unironically take issues with lukewarm reviews before I even see the thing.

I did not like Superman Returns at all though and would be shocked if this isn't better... but RT has obvious flaws even though it is useful. Expectations color reviews, often times you'll see a movie that looks like it will be crap get an unexpectedly high RT because reviewers are positive in the sense "it wasn't that bad!" Works in the opposite direction as well. And a mediocre unpolarizing movie could get a bunch of C+ and B- scores and have a great RT score.

But to say a critics' assessment of the character development or visual style or amount of action is off-base before you have even seen the film itself is a really neat trick.

I'm not trying to say the critics are off base, just saying that these are the issues that they've had with Snyder in the past (and theyve mostly been right, I'm not a huge Snyder fan either), but it seems to me like some of them are upset because the film doesn't follow the formula of Marvel's superhero flicks, and they are marking it negative, a lot of them doing so by giving it a 3/5 or B-, the same grade they marked as a positive when giving it to Iron Man 3. And it's not like the reviews are bad, they are just good instead of great, which could certainly be the case. Looking forward to seeing it though, all the TV spots and trailers have looked great.

HitFix Daniel gives it an A+, I'm sold. Dan Fienburg is Sepinwall only on the West Coast, I trust him.

There's no way this movie sucks. Cannot wait to see it w/ my pops on Sunday!

HitFix Daniel gives it an A+, I'm sold. Dan Fienburg is Sepinwall only on the West Coast, I trust him.

There's no way this movie sucks. Cannot wait to see it w/ my pops on Sunday!

Are you sure you aren't confusing Feinberg with Drew McWeeny? I know he gave it an A+ on HitFix.

McWeeny's review jumpstarted this discussion.

Was there ever any effort to use some of the Williams score?

It's so fucking iconic

Was there ever any effort to use some of the Williams score?

It's so fucking iconic

Despite being so iconic, I think this movie without a doubt needed to avoid this sort of thing (I'm assuming they didn't use any of the old Williams score like Returns did). I think this is why some critics are giving negative reviews...this is not Christopher Reeves with a Williams score. This is something different, and it needs to be. Time to separate the mythos from the Reeves version, just like Batman needed a fresh start from the 90's era Bat-Films. When I see this on Friday, I'm not looking for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" Superman...I want something a little more raw.

Yeah, this is t Superman helping the old lady across the street or saving Johnny Boy from falling into Niagra Falls. This is graphic novel Superman, which critics can't seem to grasp. For Christ sakes one review I read criticized the movie because Cavill didn't smile as Superman like Reeve did. I'm really glad they didn't use the Williams score. Yes, it is iconic, but they have to move on and create something new, and Zimmer, from what I've listened to, has created a fantastic score.

Back