• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

How do you make a movie about bad guys?

Disney's doing it w/ Maleficent but they're gonna bastardize things and make her a character we should feel sorry for but in the damn story she's evil.

AMC made a whole damn show about one. I think it's fine if you're originally feel sorry for the bad guy as long as it is clear that they're evil. Been posting for years that I've love to see that approach used for an origin movie for Lex Luthor, Joker, and perhaps others in a Legion of Doom. I still think a Kingpin show a la The Sopranos would be amazing.

I actually think MOS sets up well for a somewhat sympathetic Lex Luthor rebuilding Metropolis.

Disney/ABC/Marvel really believe in tonight's Agents of SHIELD. They're replaying it next week at 8 as a lead in to a new episode at 9.

I almost am starting to believe that the MCU is transcending comic book movies. Like, there's "comic book movies" like what Fox and Sony and WB are doing, and then there's the MCU. I think the quotes we've heard from Marvel's end, about how the trick is to just apply the heroes to various genres to keep things fresh tonally, are the key to the puzzle. No other studio seems to have figured that out yet. Is there any real tonal nuance to differentiate the now 6 (6!) X-Men movies? How about Nolan's DC universe (I realize that MoS and TDK are not in the same universe, but go with me here)? Have any of the now 5 Spiderman movies really been that different? Does anybody expect Sinister Six movies to represent a tonal shift?

Marvel understands the key to keeping this all from going stale. They can release a sci-fi comedy alongside a political thriller alongside a straightforward action film alongside whatever the fuck the first Thor would be classified as alongside an existential action-drama, and those films just all happen to have superheroes in them. The films, the scripts, the stories are more important than the characters themselves, and I think Marvel recognizes that-- think back to the first Iron Man as proof. The character was in no way mainstream at the time; it succeeded solely because it was a good movie.

I almost am starting to believe that the MCU is transcending comic book movies. Like, there's "comic book movies" like what Fox and Sony and WB are doing, and then there's the MCU. I think the quotes we've heard from Marvel's end, about how the trick is to just apply the heroes to various genres to keep things fresh tonally, are the key to the puzzle. No other studio seems to have figured that out yet. Is there any real tonal nuance to differentiate the now 6 (6!) X-Men movies? How about Nolan's DC universe (I realize that MoS and TDK are not in the same universe, but go with me here)? Have any of the now 5 Spiderman movies really been that different? Does anybody expect Sinister Six movies to represent a tonal shift?

Marvel understands the key to keeping this all from going stale. They can release a sci-fi comedy alongside a political thriller alongside a straightforward action film alongside whatever the fuck the first Thor would be classified as alongside an existential action-drama, and those films just all happen to have superheroes in them. The films, the scripts, the stories are more important than the characters themselves, and I think Marvel recognizes that-- think back to the first Iron Man as proof. The character was in no way mainstream at the time; it succeeded solely because it was a good movie.

Casting has helped. RDJ showed Hollywood you could make or revive a career being a super hero. Now seemingly everyone wants to work with Marvel. Hell, Bradley Cooper is a CGI raccoon's voice. Vin Diesel is a CGI tree who says the same damned line the whole movie...ten years ago marquee actors would have laughed in a casting directors face at that premise. Now? Marvel is operating on a new level at this point.

AMC made a whole damn show about one. I think it's fine if you're originally feel sorry for the bad guy as long as it is clear that they're evil. Been posting for years that I've love to see that approach used for an origin movie for Lex Luthor, Joker, and perhaps others in a Legion of Doom. I still think a Kingpin show a la The Sopranos would be amazing.

I actually think MOS sets up well for a somewhat sympathetic Lex Luthor rebuilding Metropolis.

Disney/ABC/Marvel really believe in tonight's Agents of SHIELD. They're replaying it next week at 8 as a lead in to a new episode at 9.

plus they gave it that sweet subtitle, UPRISING

The evil of Walter White pales in comparison to the evil of Spiderman's foes outside of maybe Sandman.

Also a TV show in which for a majority of the episodes White was an underdog that we were rooting for...

Right, but the characters you mentioned here (Lex, Joker, etc) all have a nice cast of heroes to fight with that don't necessarily have to be the A-listers that would make the universe's continuity sketchy. Sony doesn't really have that, unless they start making up their own heroes to work alongside Spidey.

The evil of Walter White pales in comparison to the evil of Spiderman's foes outside of maybe Sandman.

Also a TV show in which for a majority of the episodes White was an underdog that we were rooting for...

Let the Walter White character marinate over several decades and then see. Give Spidey's foes more depth and see them become more sympathetic.

Agree with the premise that the MCU transcends comic book movies much like Pixar transcended animated movies.

I think the Sinister Six is just a set up for Venom to become the anti-hero Lethal Enforcer from the 90's. Venom is the wild card...the current Flash Thompson version of Venom I think could work, but you'd need to work up to that.

I think it's a different context, comic book villians are generally outlandish terrorists with vague motives. Walter White's evil was grounded in reality, so it's not as "big" an evil, but it's equally if not more effective as a plot device.

I think it's a different context, comic book villians are generally outlandish terrorists with vague motives. Walter White's evil was grounded in reality, so it's not as "big" an evil, but it's equally if not more effective as a plot device.

One could argue that in the last decade we've already moved considerably towards comic book villains that are grounded in reality with more sympathetic motives. Characters like Two Face, Magneto, Whiplash, and what Spidey 2 looks to be doing with the Green Goblin, off the top of my head, all have pretty sympathetic backgrounds, and their respective movies have all gone through great pains to realize those backgrounds. Right now, Hollywood is obsessed with making everything and everyone some shade of grey, for better or worse, and while that has led to some duds like Man of Steel, it should do well for Sony's Sinister Six.

That being said, I still don't understand who they're going to have them fight against. Spidey can't be the antagonist in six movies.

The Sony model will fail in my opinion. There just isn't enough room in the Spider-man universe to churn out blockbusters. There's a decent chance the Fantastic Four part of Fox's plan will fail also. At that point, you could say the comic book movie bubble will have burst. But I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe will keep on trucking for a lot of the reasons given here.

Marvel considers the Thor movies to be part of the Fantasy genre like The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Marvel considers the Thor movies to be part of the Fantasy genre like The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Good call.

Thor = Fantasy
Captain America = Spy/War drama
Iron Man = Action Adventure (?)
Guardians of the Galaxy = Sci-fi/Space
The Incredible Hulk = ??? (I barely remember this one)

Good call.

Thor = Fantasy
Captain America = Spy/War drama
Iron Man = Action Adventure (?)
Guardians of the Galaxy = Sci-fi/Space
The Incredible Hulk = ??? (I barely remember this one)

The "existential drama / action" I referenced in my post was Iron Man 2. Cap 1 is WWII action, Cap 2 is political thriller.

The Hulk was about as close as Marvel has gotten to a traditional "superhero movie."

The "existential drama / action" I referenced in my post was Iron Man 2. Cap 1 is WWII action, Cap 2 is political thriller.

The Hulk was about as close as Marvel has gotten to a traditional "superhero movie."

I was looking at it as a series, not individual movies.

They've got plenty of genres to go. Buddy movie, road trip comedy, jailbreak, love story...plenty of stuff to do.

I was looking at it as a series, not individual movies.

They've got plenty of genres to go. Buddy movie, road trip comedy, jailbreak, love story...plenty of stuff to do.

I would watch the shit out of a Marvel buddy cop / road trip comedy.

Here's an older interview with Kevin Feige talking about the genres in comics.

"One of the fun things about the Phase Two movies so far is that they're playing with different genres. "Iron Man 3" was very much a Shane Black action movie, "Thor 2" is more hard fantasy, the Russo Brothers have talked about 'Winter Soldier' as a sort-of 70s conspiracy thriller. Has that been a conscious move from Marvel, and is it likely to continue?

It's absolutely conscious. Number one, I think there are different genres within the comic books. For some reason, novels can be different things and people can accept that, but with comic books, it's as if it's its own genre, when it's not. I just binge-watched "The Walking Dead," which is a great show, based on a comic, which has as much in common with "Iron Man" as "A Christmas Carol" does. Totally different things, both originating from comics. You haven't asked this question, and I'm getting it less and less, which is a good thing, but for many, many, many years, going back to the first time anyone cared what the hell I had to say, ten years ago, people would say, "How much longer is this comic book fad going to last?" And my answer always was as long as they're different, as long as we keep surprising people, as long as they don't become redundant, it could last for a long time. And the key for them not feeling redundant is taking chances, exploring the diversity among the characters, which is why the Phase Two movies are as you've laid out.

People are assuming that "Ant-Man" will be more of a comedy, with Edgar Wright directing.

I'll say this only because I think Edgar has said this before in the press: I don't think it's fair to say that "Ant-Man" will be any more or less comedic than our other movies. One of the great compliments we've gotten from the screening last night is how funny 'Dark World' is. But "Ant-Man" is a heist movie, we haven't done that before. And to Edgar's credit, that's what he started doing eight years ago. So it's not like, "Oh, we need a new genre, because that's what we're doing now," that's what it's always been planned to be."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...pider-man-20131022?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

Back