• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I have to say, Maggie G. almost single handedly brought TDK down a notch to being debatable about being the best comic book movie ever.

I have to say, Maggie G. almost single handedly brought TDK down a notch to being debatable about being the best comic book movie ever.

Agreed. Wish they had gotten Cotillard to play Rachel in the 2nd movie or just cut the character out all together. The Bruce-Rachel stuff is one of the weaker plot points in the entire trilogy.

Who really cares about the Joker and Batman scene in the penthouse? I don't. Certainly not enough to dissect it. The ending of TDKR is a pivotal, life or death situation. Of course it is going to be nitpicked. It's just too implausible the way it is laid out in the movie.

Considering that Dent was in the safe room and two party goers saw where it was & how to get in, plus the fact that all of Gotham's wealthiest citizens were in there as well made it a potentially pivotal scene. You want actual pivotal: how did the Joker get that many explosive barrels onto the ferries? How did he insert a cell phone with enough explosives to destroy the entire floor of the holding cell inside of a guy's stomach without instant death? How was Batman able to accurately piece together a finger print off of bullet fragments? It's called suspension of disbelief and in such an advanced technological gadget movie, why is it plausible to have a Bat wing that flies in a way that is incredibly ahead of our current tech but implausible to not have the ability to outrun the blast or a full ejector pod with remote control?

That's fair. I have no problem with the film's conclusion. I just don't understand the fapping to Hardy.

Considering that Dent was in the safe room and two party goers saw where it was & how to get in, plus the fact that all of Gotham's wealthiest citizens were in there as well made it a potentially pivotal scene. You want actual pivotal: how did the Joker get that many explosive barrels onto the ferries? How did he insert a cell phone with enough explosives to destroy the entire floor of the holding cell inside of a guy's stomach without instant death? How was Batman able to accurately piece together a finger print off of bullet fragments? It's called suspension of disbelief and in such an advanced technological gadget movie, why is it plausible to have a Bat wing that flies in a way that is incredibly ahead of our current tech but implausible to not have the ability to outrun the blast or a full ejector pod with remote control?

You could point out many of those things in TDKR as well, but aside from the ones discussed in this thread, no one cares.

There is a reason that the ending is so heavily discussed and you're glossing over it. No matter how technologically advanced the Bat was, or any escape device Batman used, it couldn't have escaped the EMP from a nuetron bomb.

assuming there actually were explosives in the barrels

Hardy is not even top 3 of performances of villains in this trilogy. He is maybe cracking the top 5 of batman movie villains, and that might be a stretch.

Ledger
Nicholson
Eckhart
Hamil (if he counts)
Maybe Hardy

You bros lost in Hardy's eyes need to slow up.

Awful list. Including Nicholson and Hamil is a joke. And it seems like you're more hard-up for Eckhart than anyone else is for Hardy.

If we're talking comic book films, Hardy's Bane can easily be entered among the best on-screen villains.

Last edited:
You mean like the short term EMP that shut down the cop cars when Batman makes his comeback on the Bat pod that had no effect on said Bat pod? JGL was looking directly into the blast with no negative results. There was no tsunami or even agitated waves coming back into the harbor. There were no gale force winds coming off of the detonation. You're taking the idea of Batman in the real world a bit too literally.

Remember that movie 'Thank You For Smoking'? There's a scene where Aaron Eckhart's character is talking with a Hollywood executive about making a movie where people smoke in space. Eckhart says, "Wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?" To which the executive says, "That's an easy fix. One line of dialogue: 'Thank God we invented the...you know, whatever device.'"

You mean like the short term EMP that shut down the cop cars when Batman makes his comeback on the Bat pod that had no effect on said Bat pod? JGL was looking directly into the blast with no negative results. There was no tsunami or even agitated waves coming back into the harbor. There were no gale force winds coming off of the detonation. You're taking the idea of Batman in the real world a bit too literally.

i mean, the blast was like miles off shore, so in the 15 seconds of detonation we see i doubt we'd see all the waves/etc. It's possible the Batwing was shielded from EMP effects.

Awful list. Including Nicholson and Hamil is a joke. And it seems like you're more hard-up for Eckhart than anyone else is for Hardy.

If we're talking comic book films, Hardy's Bane can easily be entered among the best on-screen villains.

Jack's Joker is awesome. You're a fool to think otherwise.

Pretty much the only redeeming feature of those movies.

So people seriously wouldn't put Hathaway's performance over Hardy's?

Pretty much the only redeeming feature of those movies.

So people seriously wouldn't put Hathaway's performance over Hardy's?

I would. I'm also on board with 07's rankings as well. I don't get this Hardy ball-slopping at all. Good? Sure. OMGWTFBESTVILLEVAH? Nope.

Nicholson's Joker should be taken in context. IIRC, he won an Oscar for it. Hamil's Joker was just as fresh. Ledger's joker doesn't exist without either.

If you bring in comic book movies, Fassbender as Magneto (maybe even McKellan) jump Hardy.

I think both Jokers (Ledger/Nicholson), Bane and Dent are in the first tier.

I think both Jokers (Ledger/Nicholson), Bane and Dent are in the first tier.

Not sure Bane or Dent belong in the same tier with those two. I'm probably biased though. For the record, Hardy exceeded my expectations. The announcement that Bane would be the villain was the most disappointing announcement related to the series for me. Bane is just a stupid character, IMO. Bane is really lame compared to the rest of the Batman rogues gallery. He brings nothing new to the table comic book wise. Hardy and Nolan made him work, I give them plenty of credit for that.

It's a neutron bomb created by terrorists. They didn't neuter it to make it less effective. Remember, they wanted to blow up all of Gotham City. There is no in-between, it either fucks everything up by going off, or it does nothing by not detonating. It detonated so now we are faced with the conundrum of how Batman survived. I don't see why it is so hard to understand why it's different than any other logical inconsistency in the Batman series.

Nicholson's Joker should be taken in context. IIRC, he won an Oscar for it. Hamil's Joker was just as fresh. Ledger's joker doesn't exist without either.

If you bring in comic book movies, Fassbender as Magneto (maybe even McKellan) jump Hardy.

Agreed on Magneto.

Sure, at the time, Nicholson's performance was lauded (though he wasn't nominated). Just like, at the time, the effects in the original Star Wars trilogy were state of the art. But you guys need to go back and rewatch that film. Nicholson is good, no doubt, but a) its a horrible movie and b) the only Nolan villain that Nicholson would probably beat out is Murphy's Scarecrow. Neeson, Ledger, Eckhart, Hardy, and Hathaway are all much more compelling.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Agreed on Magneto.

Sure, at the time, Nicholson's performance was lauded (though he wasn't nominated). Just like, at the time, the effects in the original Star Wars trilogy were state of the art. But you guys need to go back and rewatch that film. Nicholson is good, no doubt, but a) its a horrible movie and b) the only Nolan villain that Nicholson would probably beat out is Murphy's Scarecrow. Neeson, Ledger, Eckhart, Hardy, and Hathaway are all much more compelling.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Agree with this 100%

Back