• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

It's possible I'm just being a stick in the mud, but the over the top battle scenes were actually the only enjoyable parts. It's everything in between that was horrible. I also don't think that DC has stockpiled enough credibility to poke fun at anything at this point in their productions.

It's also not like I go into comic book movies expecting to see Citizen Kane.

Make movie too serious - it sucks!
Makes movie B- version of Marvel team movie - it sucks!
Makes a goofy, self-effacing superhero movie - it sucks!

latest

It's not like this Marvel didn't have these problems, especially early on, establishing tone. The difference is they actually made some changes and stayed consistent with those changes. Everybody bought in. DC is just all over the place.

Make movie too serious - it sucks!
Makes movie B- version of Marvel team movie - it sucks!
Makes a goofy, self-effacing superhero movie - it sucks!

latest

Have you seen it though? It reminded me of an episode of Power Rangers.

I'd take B- Marvel at this point, which is essentially what Justice League was.

Last edited:
Today is the day! Young Justice Season 3 premieres on DC Universe.

Young Justice might be my favorite DC animated series ever. It was really good.

Young Justice is excellent. The storylines and twists are intricate and it plays with a large portion of the DC Universe. The basic plot is that the Justice League forms a covert ops team made up of teenage sidekicks led by Aqualad and Robin (Dick Grayson). The rest of the original team is Kid Flash, Superboy (a clone and rejected sidekick), and Miss Martian. Red Arrow is involved as well although he's older as well. They gradually add more sidekicks such as Artemis (Green Arrow), Zatanna, and Rocket. The main villains are The Light, a committee of super villains lead by Vandal Savage.

There's been a movement to do a Season 3 on Netflix. Some fans have posted screenshots of replies from Netflix saying a Season 3 on Netflix is possible if enough people watch Seasons 1 and 2.

I plan to subscribe at some point after Young Justice drops. I'll binge the first two seasons before I start the third season. Continuity is big in that show.

I've got to make this joke from the first episode of Young Justice.

I viewed some clips of Doom Patrol on Teen Titans and I have to say their appearance made the upcoming show look intriguing. I'll definitely be pirating that, I mean "subscribing" to the DC service when DP is available. I saw somewhere (on Youtube comments so you know it's true) the show will be similar to the Grant Morrison run from the early 90s and I consider that some of the finest comic books I've ever read.

It's not like this Marvel didn't have these problems, especially early on, establishing tone. The difference is they actually made some changes and stayed consistent with those changes. Everybody bought in. DC is just all over the place.

And you still see the same problems with a lot of the non-Spider-Verse Sony Marvel flicks. Leadership and vision matter. At its best, DC is making perfectly average superhero movies at the moment, but they look a lot more like Venom than they look like Thor, Captain America, etc.

It certainly helped that Iron Man knocked it out of the park. It gave them a great starting point DC didn’t have.

It certainly helped that Iron Man knocked it out of the park. It gave them a great starting point DC didn’t have.

Batman?

I'm just saying that with the exception of MCU flicks, most comic flicks aren't really that great nowadays. Obviously that's a big exception, but if you measure DC flicks against the Sony Marvel content then it's pretty evenly matched.

Batman?

I'm just saying that with the exception of MCU flicks, most comic flicks aren't really that great nowadays. Obviously that's a big exception, but if you measure DC flicks against the Sony Marvel content then it's pretty evenly matched.

Fox has done pretty well recently, with the exception of Apocalypse.

Into the Spiderverse would be in the higher tier of MCU films.

I thought Aquaman was very good for DC, second to WW. The action was excellent, the art direction for the Atlantean culture(s) was cool, the underwater and de-aging effects were convincing enough. I even liked the central conflict - simple Competes with Marvel mid tier; on par with ant man films.

The worst parts were the ones with just Momoa and Amber Heard alone. No chemistry and just super corny, clunky dialogue.

Batman?

But they didn’t start this with Batman Begins. That was it’s own trilogy.

Finally got around to seeing Aquaman. I'm not really a fan of Jason Momoa as Aquaman. I've liked him in other things but I think they could have done a better job with casting that role. Casting him is a bit like casting Arnold Schwarzenegger or John Wayne, he always plays himself regardless of the role.

Overall, I think it was a pretty mediocre movie. It was kind of interesting to see the different undersea kingdoms since the DC Cartoons never really covered that.

Saw Aquaman tonight. It was solid. I liked it better when it was How to Train Your Little Mermaid Thor Panther 2 but it worked. Sure it was corny in some points, but it's an Aquaman movie. Hard to avoid it. I still think casting a Polynesian actor for the King of Atlantis is a little weird, but whatever. Got my wife to want to see it. Seeing Jango Fett as his dad was a nice bonus for her as well. No biggie. I thought he was fine for what he was asked to do. Nicole Kidman and Amber Heard were plenty hot for me.

The CGI was great. Orm was a little offputting. It looked like Patrick Wilson was sitting down with a green sheet over his body the whole time. Nobody else really bothered me. Mera's powers were well done. I liked Black Manta. Really cool to see him on the big screen like that. Looking forward to seeing more from him in Aquaman 2. The setting for the big battle sequence featuring him was excellent. It was really unique to see a big superhero battle scene in that type of place.

Some of the visuals in the end battle made me think of Kevin Smith's story about being asked to add a Giant Spider fight to his Superman script. Otherwise, the sea creatures and machines and such were well done. I definitely liked seeing the other underwater realms.

Last week, I watched Age of Ultron for the first time since the release. This film is in the lower tier of MCU for me. I went back through old posts. I had forgotten that I liked a lot at the time. I just thought it was missing a lot. So I liked it in the theaters, upon reflection liked it less, and after seeing the MCU take a leap forward, didn't like it that much. Now I'm rewatching it and I remember why I liked it and found more reasons to like it in retrospect. It works better as a psychological drama. I just doesn't do a great job of splitting the difference with a between basic superhero film. The stuff that works well works quite well. Hawkeye and his family, character moments aside from the mixed up Thor stuff, Hulk vs. Hulkbuster, our introduction to Ulysses Klaue, the twins, Vision. The stuff that doesn't quite work is annoying. But the legacy of this film should be that it directly set up the best MCU films, Civil War, Thor 3, Black Panther, and AIW. It was a necessary step despite the flaws.

I strongly recommend the first three episodes of Young Justice Season 3. It’s a worthy follow up to the first two seasons.

One warning. You may want to watch before you let your children watch. Much of the plot has to do with the trafficking of metahuman children. There’s plenty of disturbing imagery.

Marvel says the marketing for Endgame will only feature footage from the first 15 minutes of the film.

That makes sense.

Back