• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Fun fact, Starr's character is the same as the Culver University student he played in The Incredible Hulk.

Looks like Marvel has managed to pull a double with un-whitewashing Amadeus Cho and making Starr's appearances consistent. I looked into why I had thought he was Cho in the Hulk movie and apparently in the novelization of the movie, that's who Starr's character was. In the movie though, he's never explicitly named that neither in dialog nor credits. The novelization isn't canon so they dodged a bullet on this one.

my immediate reaction after finishing the movie was that mysterio isn't dead

Oh yeah. One rumor I saw was that the Mysterio at the end was a robot.

Here's what I'm thinking they do with Spider-Man going forward:

Spidey 3: JJJ hires Mac Gargan to be Scorpion to hunt down Spidey. Kraven comes to NYC to hunt him down. His brother was Dmitri from FFH (also the Chameleon). Film introduces Harry Osborn and his dad. Post-credit teases the return of Mysterio.
Spidey 4: Venom. Either Sony's Venom or Harry Osborn venom
Spidey 5: Norman Osborn puts together a team of six villains (Vulture, Mysterio, Scorpion, Kraven, Chameleon, one more)

I don't see how they end this with three films.

Spidey 3: JJJ hires Mac Gargan to be Scorpion to hunt down Spidey. Kraven comes to NYC to hunt him down. His brother was Dmitri from FFH (also the Chameleon). Film introduces Harry Osborn and his dad. Post-credit teases the return of Mysterio.
Spidey 5: Norman Osborn puts together a team of six villains (Vulture, Mysterio, Scorpion, Kraven, Chameleon, one more)

I wouldn’t be opposed to more Tom Hardy. That movie was trash, but he was great.

I would actually be fine if the MCU didn’t include Venom. Spider-Man has a huge list of fun villains. No point getting bogged down in what’s been done before. Let Sony have a successful Venom franchise.

With Stark and Rogers gone, Spider-Man is now the face of the MCU. Parker (and Miles, whenever they get around to introducing him) are the most marketable Marvel assets they have and I'm not sure it is even really close. I'm sure that's complicated by the Sony relationship, but Sony would be fools to sever this relationship with Marvel so long as it remains true that Spider-Man is the most popular Marvel character. They should let Marvel help them expand the Spider-Man universe and intro some of the other Sinister Six in their planned features for Venom, Black Cat, etc.

Also have to wonder if Osborn becomes as big a figure in the MCU as he was during the Secret Invasion/Dark Reign period of the comics. My GUESS is the next towering villain in the MCU is Doom and/or the Beyonder (becuase we are 100% headed for Secret Wars at some point), but Osborn is just too big a figure to not have a significant role.

On one hand, Spider-Man is the face of the MCU. On the other hand, he can carry a solo film and they don't need him to support the rest of the MCU. They could do 10 Spider-Man films without running out of material.

Speaking of, ELC gave his take on Spider-verse on the Netflix thread. He said it was "very good." I don't think I've ever seen him say a movie was "very good."

Any thoughts on this season of Legion? Three eps in it's a strong start. Sadly, last night's episode introducing David's parents was the weakest of the three. They could have cut much of the first third and showed us the battle we wanted to see. Stephanie Corneliussen continues to be one of the creepiest super hot women I've ever seen.

When might we expect some announcements about the upcoming slate of MCU? I did a little searching and it seems like all that is potentially coming in the next year is Black Widow prequel, which won't progress the story further. GotG3 is still 2-3 years away which I would also say is true for sequels for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. Is it possible there would be some surprise that something gets released in 2020 that is unexpected at this point or are we looking at a lull in MCU movies for a little bit while they work out the Fox characters

The Phase 4 films have not been officially announced. They'll either be announced next week at Comic-Con or at D23, Disney's big conference they hold every 2 years. We do know films coming up include Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, and sequels to Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. I assume there will be Spidey 3 and maybe Ant-Man 3 as well. They've released the dates for future films too. This link has guesses at the future film dates. Black Widow and The Eternals are likely for next year because BW is filming and Eternals is cast and may be filming. BP2 is likely Feb 2021 because it was Feb 2018. That's plenty of films for the next 3 years without adding in FF or X-Men.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/full-list-of-all-upcoming-marvel-movies/

My guess is that they announce the slate at Comic-Con and announce that FF will be in Phase 5 at D23.

I kinda feel like a slight lull for the MCU might not be the worst thing. There was so much buildup towards Endgame (with FFH acting as an epilogue) that people might be a little emotionally spent. They're not starting over exactly, but the buildup towards the next big event does start over now. It feels like Mysterio revealing Spidey's identity to the world is the beginning of Phase 4, almost in the same way Tony announcing his identity in the first Iron Man felt like the kick off to the MCU.

CBM: Spider-Man: Far From Home (spoilers)

I agree. And by “lull” you still mean two or three films a year that will do well at the box office and introduce new characters into our culture.

Keep in mind the MCU will be active on Disney+ as well.

Last edited:
Are they done making Thor movies? Adding him to GOTG?

Need to keep him around.

1) I doubt it. I just googled Thor 4 to see what was being said and websites that have the credibility of something you'd see on certain Tunnels threads say it's happening. Hopefully they're right.

2) Mmmmmaybe? That's where we last saw him.

As for my hopes for Spidey, I'm really hoping Venom and associated characters stay quarantined in Sony land. I despise the character of Venom (and Carnage and whoever else gets symbioted), it's just so... 90s and I mean that in a bad way.

I wouldn't mind seeing Marvel un-f up the "Amazing" villains, all of whom deserve better. Spidey may have the deepest bench for a rogues gallery of anyone.

I agree. And by “lull” you still mean two or three films a year that will do well at the box office and introduce new characters into our culture.

Yeah, which is probably why they're doing Black Widow and the television shows first. Keeps the MCU treading water by providing some additional background and color to the universe without necessarily driving towards the next big event level crossover film that could be 10+ years away.

The timeline isn't THAT important, but the "lull" would also help current time catch up to the MCU timeline which is in 2023 or 2024 at this point.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see the TV shows take on the "blip." Cloak and Dagger would be well-suited for the task.

It would nice to see a good Silver Surfer movie. Did they get that character too?

Just found out that Mysterio’s primary henchman who was in Iron Man is Ralphie from A Christmas Story.

Back