• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Black Widow spoilers are fair game as of last night.

I thought Dreykov was an excellent villain, a good change of pace from “villains with a point.” He’s just an evil man who craves power and exploits girls and women. That’s true evil right there. He may not have the Infinity Stones. He’s the type of person we truly have to fear in real life which is a fitting villain in a grounded spy film.

I liked the family aspect of the film. Each character brought something interesting to the table. I’m impressed how they promoted the film as family, but didn’t let on that Red Guardian was the dad. I thought Harbour was good in that role. I could see how his work on Stranger Things crosses over into this film. Yelena was a lot of fun. She’s going to be a fan favorite character going forward.

I like how they used Rick Mason. I’m not even sure if they said his name. They didn’t force a love interest with Natasha. It was light flirting at the most. They could have made him a “Bond boy” but they didn’t. He had a minor role. He got Natasha things she needed that helped move the story along. I thought that role was done well especially since we all assumed he was really Taskmaster.

I’ve seen some complaints that the film wasted Taskmaster. I disagree. This was just an origin. Taskmaster is one of those villains who could just show up in any show or film for whatever reason for whichever side. I'm sure we'll see her again, maybe as soon as Hawkeye. Wouldn’t be surprised if she ends up with US Agent and Yelena on Valentina’s team.

I thought it was interesting to compare the pacing of an MCU film to the MCU shows. For example, in a show, Mason gets a backstory and has a more defined romantic interest with Natasha and we see how he commandeers a mobile home, helicopter, and jet. Or his role is eliminated all together and Natasha gets them herself.

Obviously, it would have been great for this film to come between Civil War and Black Panther. But even within that timeline, they could certainly follow this up with a sequel or two. Fill in some gaps in Natasha’s story before Infinity War. Maybe the family can track down a rogue widow cell. Maybe a widow infiltrated Wakanda and the Dora Milage are on the case too. I’d love to see a widow vs. Dora Milage battle since we didn’t get one in Civil War. We could learn more about how Yelena got involved with Valentina as well. Florence Pugh has been confirmed for the Hawkeye series.

I’d really like to see a Widows Disney+ show about a set of newly freed widows trying to find a life, career, and love for themselves after the events of this film. I could see it as a straight up spy show like a Charlie’s Angels or maybe Alias. Or it can be a skewed take on Sex in the City.

The box office numbers look good. Black Widow earned $80M in domestic theaters and $60M on Disney+ premiere for a $140M opening weekend. That’s 10th after all four Avengers films, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Civil War, IM 3, and GOTG2. So the best opening weekends of MCU first solo films were Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Black Widow. These are the films former Marvel CEO and Trump buddy Ike Permutter prevented because he thought films with women leads or mostly Black casts don’t make money. Of course, his baby was the Inhumans. Dumbass.

There's no real timekeepers. Its Kang, who was cast months ago, working to force the timeline he wants. Or not.

Black Widow is the 24th MCU film. Here's a little exercise. Place the MCU films in 4 tiers of 6 films each.

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Black Widow

Here are mine in order of release date:

Tier 1
Marvel's The Avengers
Black Panther

Tier 2
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain Marvel
Black Widow

Tier 3
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man and the Wasp

Tier 4
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Man 3

My trends are pretty straight forward. I like the big team ups. The early films were hit or miss, even though the misses aren’t THAT bad upon later viewing. My Tier 4 includes 6 of the first 11 films.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to make these tiers. Tiers 1 and 4 are pretty set in stone. I watched IM 2 this weekend so I was a little hesitant to put it in Tier 4. Tier 2 and 3 separate out earlier as well.

Just saw a new theory that I like. The person in the castle is the real Renslayer. She installed her variant in the TVA and created Miss Minutes. The TVA captures and prunes variants to feed Arioth in order to create energy to free her lover Kang from some sort of status. That ties into the love between Sylvie and Loki which would give a huge boost of energy to free Kang. Then Kang is freed into the multiverse.

Just saw a new theory that I like. The person in the castle is the real Renslayer. She installed her variant in the TVA and created Miss Minutes. The TVA captures and prunes variants to feed Arioth in order to create energy to free her lover Kang from some sort of status. That ties into the love between Sylvie and Loki which would give a huge boost of energy to free Kang. Then Kang is freed into the multiverse.

Ooh I like that theory a lot.

I enjoy exercises like these:

In no particular order (aside from tiers)

Tier 1:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther
Iron Man
Marvel's The Avengers

Tier 2:
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man

Tier 3:
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man and the Wasp

Tier 4:
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Man 3

Ragnarok and GotG are the top of ph's tier 2 list for me. I could easily swap either one with Civil War. I can also see an argument where I combine the infinity movies into one.

Ray Winstone really didn't care about doing the Russian accent. It would be there for like a sentence or two and then he would think to himself, screw it the check has already cleared, and go right back to British.

Fine move, probably not worth 30 see at home.

Here's my tier ranking. I haven't seen Black Widow yet, so Tier 4 only has 5 entries.

Tier 1:
Spider Man: Homecoming
Spiderman: Far From Home

Tier 2:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Marvel's The Avengers
Ant-Man

Tier 3:
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Captain Marvel

Tier 4:
Iron Man 2
Thor
Doctor Strange
The Incredible Hulk

Ray Winstone really didn't care about doing the Russian accent. It would be there for like a sentence or two and then he would think to himself, screw it the check has already cleared, and go right back to British.

Yeah, this was hilarious. He's also so British in my mind that he probably couldn't have convinced me regardless, but his accent was particularly bad in a cast who really do not do accents that well to begin with... Pugh's probably was the most consistent of the bunch and even she slipped a lot.

I'm not going to care too much about accents in a film that should have been about 90% in Russian with English subtitles.

These tiers are too big for me so I'm gonna differentiate it a bit at 4 flicks per tier:

Tier 1:
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Black Panther

Tier 2:
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy

Tier 3:
Ant-Man
Marvel's The Avengers

Tier 4:
Iron Man 3
Black Widow

Tier 5:
Iron Man 2
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange

Tier 6:
Spiderman: Far From Home
The Incredible Hulk
Thor

A few notes:
-I didn't rank MCU-affiliated and adjacent TV shows, but if I had to rank them I think they would look like: Loki, Agent Carter, WandaVision, Daredevil, Agents of SHIELD, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Defenders, Runaways, and Iron Fist.
-I have come around on a few of the earlier flicks, particularly Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2 because each has surprisingly good character development amidst the bloat. They're not great films by any standard, but they stood out to me in a big way upon re-watching.
-The two Thors are the worst MCU flicks by far, which makes Ragnorak such an achievement. Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel aren't great by any stretch, but they're aesthetically interesting at least and pretty funny.
-Tier 6 just feels like genre retread, which is weird because with the exception of Spider-Man: Far From Home, they're among the oldest MCU flicks. It's been fun to watch Marvel transform what a superhero movie can be.
-It's probably a good thing we're done with trying to make solo Hulk movies. Ragnorak was just enough Hulk for my tastes. Ang Lee's Hulk looks like garbage and Eric Bana can't act his way out of a paper bag, but it may actually be a better movie than The Incredible Hulk.

-It's probably a good thing we're done with trying to make solo Hulk movies. Ragnorak was just enough Hulk for my tastes. Ang Lee's Hulk looks like garbage and Eric Bana can't act his way out of a paper bag, but it may actually be a better movie than The Incredible Hulk.

Agree with this -- I actually liked Ang Lee's Hulk. It kind of blew my mind at the time when Hulk was fly-jumping through the desert and throwing around tanks. And the fight with the dogs. There are a lot of scenes that I still remember from that movie, which I saw well before the Incredible Hulk. Not much from the Incredible Hulk has stuck with me.

I might be one of the few that enjoyed The Incredible Hulk. Yes it was a bit clunky in parts but I think it was better than people give it credit for. I do hate that Edward Norton was difficult to work with and they had to recast him. Not that I dislike Mark Ruffalo, I just really like Edward Norton.

I'm still, to this day, trying to wrap my head around an Ang Lee directed Hulk movie.

Norton's Hulk had some interesting threads dropped. Tim Blake Nelson as the Leader had potential. And not even a casual mention of Betty since then despite her father being in a good number of movies (no need to Universal-splain to me, I know what's up with them). I'm guessing Thunderbolt and Bruce haven't crossed paths in a movie because they would HAVE to at least say something about her. I'm hoping She-Hulk loops her in.

On another note, I was very pleased to see that I had fallen asleep on the return of Legends of Tomorrow until I noticed one day last week I'm behind by like 7 episodes. Not a big fan of the new addition to the crew, she's more than a little bland but maybe they're heading somewhere with her.

I'm still, to this day, trying to wrap my head around an Ang Lee directed Hulk movie.

Norton's Hulk had some interesting threads dropped. Tim Blake Nelson as the Leader had potential. And not even a casual mention of Betty since then despite her father being in a good number of movies (no need to Universal-splain to me, I know what's up with them). I'm guessing Thunderbolt and Bruce haven't crossed paths in a movie because they would HAVE to at least say something about her. I'm hoping She-Hulk loops her in.

On another note, I was very pleased to see that I had fallen asleep on the return of Legends of Tomorrow until I noticed one day last week I'm behind by like 7 episodes. Not a big fan of the new addition to the crew, she's more than a little bland but maybe they're heading somewhere with her.

It was fun to see Thunderbolt again in Black Widow. He's a great villain and if the MCU is going in the direction it seems to be going in, we should have some great Thunderbolt content to look forward to...

Remember no Disney+ show spoilers until 10 pm EST the night of release.

Black Widow spoilers are fair game as of last night.

I thought Dreykov was an excellent villain, a good change of pace from “villains with a point.” He’s just an evil man who craves power and exploits girls and women. That’s true evil right there. He may not have the Infinity Stones. He’s the type of person we truly have to fear in real life which is a fitting villain in a grounded spy film.

I liked the family aspect of the film. Each character brought something interesting to the table. I’m impressed how they promoted the film as family, but didn’t let on that Red Guardian was the dad. I thought Harbour was good in that role. I could see how his work on Stranger Things crosses over into this film. Yelena was a lot of fun. She’s going to be a fan favorite character going forward.

I like how they used Rick Mason. I’m not even sure if they said his name. They didn’t force a love interest with Natasha. It was light flirting at the most. They could have made him a “Bond boy” but they didn’t. He had a minor role. He got Natasha things she needed that helped move the story along. I thought that role was done well especially since we all assumed he was really Taskmaster.

I’ve seen some complaints that the film wasted Taskmaster. I disagree. This was just an origin. Taskmaster is one of those villains who could just show up in any show or film for whatever reason for whichever side. I'm sure we'll see her again, maybe as soon as Hawkeye. Wouldn’t be surprised if she ends up with US Agent and Yelena on Valentina’s team.

I thought it was interesting to compare the pacing of an MCU film to the MCU shows. For example, in a show, Mason gets a backstory and has a more defined romantic interest with Natasha and we see how he commandeers a mobile home, helicopter, and jet. Or his role is eliminated all together and Natasha gets them herself.

Obviously, it would have been great for this film to come between Civil War and Black Panther. But even within that timeline, they could certainly follow this up with a sequel or two. Fill in some gaps in Natasha’s story before Infinity War. Maybe the family can track down a rogue widow cell. Maybe a widow infiltrated Wakanda and the Dora Milage are on the case too. I’d love to see a widow vs. Dora Milage battle since we didn’t get one in Civil War. We could learn more about how Yelena got involved with Valentina as well. Florence Pugh has been confirmed for the Hawkeye series.

I’d really like to see a Widows Disney+ show about a set of newly freed widows trying to find a life, career, and love for themselves after the events of this film. I could see it as a straight up spy show like a Charlie’s Angels or maybe Alias. Or it can be a skewed take on Sex in the City.

The box office numbers look good. Black Widow earned $80M in domestic theaters and $60M on Disney+ premiere for a $140M opening weekend. That’s 10th after all four Avengers films, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Civil War, IM 3, and GOTG2. So the best opening weekends of MCU first solo films were Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Black Widow. These are the films former Marvel CEO and Trump buddy Ike Permutter prevented because he thought films with women leads or mostly Black casts don’t make money. Of course, his baby was the Inhumans. Dumbass.

One of the earliest trailers absolutely let on that Red Guardian was at the very least related to Natasha.

I enjoyed Black Widow, but it really just felt like a "thank you for your service" nod to ScarJo. Probably not going to rewatch it at any point.

Last episode of Loki is great and a perfect set up for next phase.

Last edited:
Back