• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The reviews are all over the place. Some reviews say this is a singular film from the vision of an Oscar-winning director. Other say this is another film in the Marvel formula. Some say it's disconnected from previous films. Some say it's connected. No idea.

I'm sure a bunch of trolls hating on a diverse cast and <gasp> a gay couple... WITH KIDS didn't help reviews.

Ooof -- Eternals is/is going to be the lowest ranked Marvel movie on RT. I'm sure I'll see it at some point, but not at all hyped for it. I think there's a good chance it flops.

remember when i said this movie was going to suck?

Man, ST: Prodigy is angling so fucking hard for all the kids who love the Star Wars animated shows

They Grievoused the hell out of that one guy, minus the wheezing. Take away the Kaizon, the Caitians, the Medusan and the design of the ship and I probably would have guessed it was a Star Wars show. I'm not sure what kid's Star Trek is though except Star Wars. There won't be plot points about "is a key junior officer property of Starfleet or a sentient being?" after all. It looked good, I'm giving a passing grade.

They Grievoused the hell out of that one guy, minus the wheezing. Take away the Kaizon, the Caitians, the Medusan and the design of the ship and I probably would have guessed it was a Star Wars show. I'm not sure what kid's Star Trek is though except Star Wars. There won't be plot points about "is a key junior officer property of Starfleet or a sentient being?" after all. It looked good, I'm giving a passing grade.

it was fine; if Paramount can con a bunch of kids into dipping into Star Trek I guess it's good. I got into star trek by watching Balance of Terror on VHS as an 8 year old but what do i know.

i'm actually revising my 'fine' to 'good'. i liked it, especially after i watched and thought about it. it moves along home like an Abrams movie but without the pandering. I'm going to see if my 5.5 yr old will get into it but haven't had the chance yet.

Eternals may be struggling on RT with critics but idgaf, I loved it. Not liked, loved, it was right up my alley for favorite type of Marvel stories. But what was the story? I'm really surprised that despite relentless marketing over the last few weeks (months?) how little I knew of the story going on, for this reason see it asap because the movie is nothing but spoilers.

There's a mid-credit (that's super cool) scene and an end credit (less cool).

It did take me out of the movie for the few moments that the Stark brothers were sharing the screen. Thankfully Bran was nowhere to be seen.

Edit - after some Googling, I see the post-credit is cooler than I initially realized.

Last edited:
I thought The Eternals was better than critics initially reviewed, but mediocre overall. It's not bottom tier (Dark World, Iron Man 2, GotG 2) bad to me. After they got over the first half to 3/4 of the movie being total exposition, the last quarter was much better. Without really getting into potential spoilers or alternative plots:

My primary gripe is probably that The Deviants should have been a scene, not an entire plot. That would have opened up a lot more time for character or plot development. I just thought they were poorly done, and it made for a much more shallow movie than it should have been. Give us more Sprite or Druig inner conflict, or Makkari background, and scrap the majority of the CGI battles and pew pew scenes.

I thought it was solid. I can understand why people would love it. I don’t quite get why people would not like it. I think it just made a convenient target for critics who don’t like Marvel. It was mediocre better than bottom tier for me.

The best criticism I heard was that it would have been better as a show. I agree. There would have been time to flesh out the characters and their relationship with humanity. Show the tension instead of leaving much of it to dialogue.

But they probably don’t get Zhao, that excellent cast, and the full special effects and the wonderful aesthetic. So it’s a tradeoff.

One thing I really don’t get is the explanation of why they didn’t interfere with Thanos. Nothing endangered their secret primary mission like eliminating half of all life on the planet. Seems hard to imagine Ajak and Ikaris wouldn’t anticipate Thanos would cause widespread loss of life and bring the rest of them in.

I thought the Deviants were fine in general. The character designs were well done. The white outlines of them using their powers was beautiful and fit with the overall great aesthetics. But they were essentially red herrings.

Overall the film seemed kind of forced into the broader MCU like it was either what Zhao wanted to do and they let her or Feige was trying to show up Perlmutter for the Inhumans blunder. We didn’t need it but it was fine.

They didn't intervene with Thanos because their gods directed them not to. Their directive was to stop the Deviants and only that. Why didn't the Celestials want to intervene? Their timeframes are measured in billions of years. Based on this it looks like it should take around 50 years for the Earth's population to get back to pre-snap levels. To a Celestial that's like seconds to us.

I'm a sucker for the cosmic stuff, I've said it before and this was as cosmic as it gets in the MCU (so far). So I know I'm going to be more enthused than most.

I read the Gaiman mini series this weekend and this movie borrowed very heavily from that, with a smattering of Earth X thrown in.

But Ajak and Ikaris knew the real mission which was to facilitate population growth. The point about 50 years makes sense though.

[h=1]‘X-Men ’97': 1990s Marvel Animated Series Gets 2023 Revival on Disney+[/h]
https://www.thewrap.com/x-men-97-1990s-x-men-animated-series-2023/

The 1990s “X-Men: The Animated Series” is getting a revival on Disney+ with a premiere sometime 2023, TheWrap has exclusively learned.
Currently called “X-Men ’97,” the revival will pick up where the classic show left off, with several cast members from “X-Men: The Animated Series” are returning; some will reprise their original roles and others will step into entirely new roles.

just wait, they're going to make the whole series about Jubilee and everyone is going to lose their fucking minds and review bomb it

just wait, they're going to make the whole series about Jubilee and everyone is going to lose their fucking minds and review bomb it

LOL. This could be a reference to pretty much any revival nowadays but it lines up with what happened with the Masters of the Universe: Revelation show. Then they did twists on top of twists to subvert the negative expectations.

By the way, if you haven't see it on Netflix, it's definitely worth a watch. Five episodes, about 2 hours of run time. Part 2 debuts on Nov 23.

LOL. This could be a reference to pretty much any revival nowadays but it lines up with what happened with the Masters of the Universe: Revelation show. Then they did twists on top of twists to subvert the negative expectations.

By the way, if you haven't see it on Netflix, it's definitely worth a watch. Five episodes, about 2 hours of run time. Part 2 debuts on Nov 23.

i liked it (revelations). a little too wink wink nudge nudge but a fun watch nonetheless. if they take the focus off the main X Men they'll get backlash again but I'm guessing they learned a lesson. fucking neckbeards.

they want that big She-Ra win again

There are a few huge benefits to continuing the 90s X-Men show instead of starting something different. First, it continues something that remains popular. I have friends whose kids watch it. I'm sure Disney+ has internal numbers that show plenty of people watch it. Second, X-Men: Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men were good shows but suffered from not being XTAS. So this should avoid that problem. Third, it probably won't conflict with what they're doing on the big screen or what Fox did before. By giving people the 90s nostalgia, it frees up the MCU to update the X-Men and maybe even move away from the main 90s X-Men to newer stories or newer storylines.

Back