• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Yeah. Not surprising. Everything DC ends up being about Batman. I'm just curious how deep they're going to go with old Batman. How many Robins? Nightwing? Oracle? Which villains?

I imagine that history will be with Howard. Madame Masque and Black Widow (Dottie) should make a good mix.

I imagine that history will be with Howard. Madame Masque and Black Widow (Dottie) should make a good mix.

Agreed, that's kinda what I was thinking, too. Probably link her to HYDRA or something else to keep the links up with the MCU.

Fox only has to make a FF movie every 7 years. They were right on the deadline to keep the rights when they started production on this one. They'll either sell the property back to Marvel to do another reboot in 2022.

I so want Marvel to get FF back so they can use Reed in the Illuminati, introduce Namor, and use Kang as a villain.

Spoilers are fair game for FF.

Estimates are that FF will make $27-29M and finish second to M:I 5. That's just over half of the Green Lantern opening. It's the worst opening for a superhero movie since Green Hornet.

Has anyone here actually even seen it? I might go this week since I'll be out of town for work and looking for things to entertain myself with.

Wonder if Franklin is part of the FF rights.

Spoilers are fair game for FF.

Estimates are that FF will make $27-29M and finish second to M:I 5. That's just over half of the Green Lantern opening. It's the worst opening for a superhero movie since Green Hornet.

$26.2 million. That's less than half of what Green Lantern made ($53.4M).

Does Fox have to do a live action major motion picture to keep the rights? Could they just put out a animated series?

$26.2 million. That's less than half of what Green Lantern made ($53.4M).

So....Marvel takes GotG from virtual unknown property to THE can't miss hit of last summer, and Fox takes a property that shouldn't be able to fail and does so in the most miserable of fashions. Hell, Marvel got Ant-Man from production hell and made a respectable movie out of it that is at 80% on rotten tomatoes.

Marvel is just better at this than everyone else.

Fantastic Four apparently sucks (no spoilers)

Does Fox have to do a live action major motion picture to keep the rights? Could they just put out a animated series?

Yes. They have to have a movie in production every seven years. They barely beat the deadline with this one.

I could see Fox playing hardball and using the characters in X-Men movies with hopes of making a sequel more attractive in 4-5 years.

The smart move would be to sell back the rights. Just make the money.

Has anyone here actually even seen it? I might go this week since I'll be out of town for work and looking for things to entertain myself with.

I'm wrestling with this. Now that it's a certified bomb, I feel like my $s won't validate it. Maybe I'll buy a ticket for something else and switch to FF. I just hope someone makes a documentary about the making of this movie, it seems like every decision made was the wrong one.

Without looking up to verify, I'm pretty darn confident that Franklin's rights go with FF. I wouldn't object if a Fox/Marvel deal let Fox keep the FF but released the related properties to Marvel Studios. Certainly I'd be most satisfied with Fox completely relinquishing but if that can't be, I'll take what I can.

The whole idea to go young with FF and do an origin story was misguided. It was panned from the beginning and the internet fanboys were right.

The whole idea to go young with FF and do an origin story was misguided. It was panned from the beginning and the internet fanboys were right.

don't disagree really but i think it largely shows that most movies based on comics don't need an origin story in the classic sense.

make them young so you can lock them up for the g0od of the property but you can just drop the viewer into the world where they are already the fantastic 4 (like marvel is reportedly planning on doing with spiderman). the people going opening weekend already know the origin and if it's good that word of mouth will bring in the average movie goer over the next few weeks.

as has been mentioned guardians is a great example. they introduced a bunch of new characters mid stream. they gave 5 minutes to show star lord was abducted but they fast forward and he's already star lord. they did not need to show how he became him. some dialog about drax's motivation. rocket gets a few minutes to tell about how he became more than a normal racoon and back to the show. groot? why was he hanging with rocket? where did he come from? if they mentioned it i don't recall and that didn't matter.

i really hope this is the death knell for "origin stories." in a weird way it's a lack of respect given to comic movie fans or movie fans in general. other genres manage to avoid them and it works fine. taken: dude's daughter is kidnapped and he says "i'm coming for you because i can." bam. there goes the movie. jason bourne: amnesiac wakes up with fighting skills and tries to sort out what's going on. it's not like you can't do it well (iron man, captain america) but it's not necessary and it would be nice to shake up the super hero movie blue print for this current wave of movies.

Back